Help please ML 270 cdi black smoking really bad

OP
O

omegav6

Reaction score
Image029.jpg

Image030.jpg

i have tried to upload some pics dont know if it will work the inlet manifold also has a lot of gunk in it will this do any harm or is better to remove it and clean that as well. Also does the bar that goes across the egr move in any way
cheers
mark

ALFIEBEARD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
JAGUAR XF-R SPORT
Hi EGR stands for exhaust gas recirculation, this valve should move when vacuum is applied to it, it basically recirculates the exhaust gasses back into the induction to burn it twice, this is almost certainly your problem, I recently cleaned out my mates Toyota D4D EGR valve and it wasn't half as clogged as yours and the difference in performance was terrific and the back smog stopped, the bar across the middle I would imagine should move to divert the gasses.;)
hope this helps

Alfie B

PS Scrape out all the crud and wash it in petrol but DONT oil it, it relies on the carbon for its lubrication.

Last edited:

kebo57

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml270
Hi Mark
I have a spare air flow meter, if you want to try it then phone me might save you £50.00 approx.

Also regarding testing the operation of the EGR
On my motor I can do this as I drive the car
I've never heard of anyone else coming up with a solution but with a slight modification and some bits that can be found in any garage workshop it can be done

That EGR of yours looks very dirty worse than mine, there are some square corners in the EGR that I rounded off to create better air flow so it doesn't collect all that gunge
(also I opened the bore up so there is a bigger surface area for the air to pass through)

Kevin

Last edited:
OP
O

omegav6

Reaction score
Hi all the problem has got worse now, i have removed the egr as per photos and cleaned it and applied vacuum and its working fine. I have also removed the inlet manifold and cleaned that , also i have made sure the flaps are working correctly (operating them by hand not the servo motor). I have built it all back up and run the car and its worse now than ever before the car has no pull at all it don’t kick down when you put your foot down you can change gear with the tiptronic but even this is slow to respond everything has been plugged back in and all pipes have been checked. This is really bugging me now any help greatly recived guys thanks in advance
I would like to thank kebo57 for all your help last night i would have been really stuck without your help cheers mate

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
how about a recap.

can you just confirm for us that the inlet port shut off linkage moves when you blip the throttle? i just want to be sure the servo is working, if it fails you will get these faults.

how about boost? does the hose harden when you rev the engine? and can you hear any hissing at all when under boost?

and what about that air mass sensor?? sorry if all this has been asked/answered before.

kebo57

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml270
Hi Mark I've been thinking about this, I removed the pipe going to the egr valve & blocked it off as someone said you could get better fuel comsumtion, & it drove like you discribed no faster than 82 mph & slow getting there also no kick down as far as I can remember might be the PRESSURE CONVERTER EXHAUST GAS RECIRCULATION VALVE thats the thing near the throttle, is it sucking at the egr pipe you could swap it with the PRESSURE CONVERTER EXHAUST GAS TURBOCHARGER they look the same but there not,
what about the black smoke is it any better

recap
would be that your flaps where jammed closed but the servo motor connection could have been seperated so ecu could think it was working the flaps
now the flaps are free to operate but you said the motor isn't working when you rev the engine (have you fixed that)
I also checked this months ago and the servo moter was stuck then but motor was going well. I did manage to get the servo operating though buy messing with it by hand & there wasn't any noticeable difference when we drove the motor after that.

Kevin

OP
O

omegav6

Reaction score
I have not tried blipping the throttle i just revd to see if the linkage would move and it didn’t, prior to the inlet removal only one of the flaps was working i have now reconnected the others maybe blipping the throttle will make them work. The boost seems to be working fine i can hear it when i drive the car but as i said it seems gutless, i have not felt at any of the pipes to see if they harden. As for the air mass this was fine prior to me doing the job I’ve just done i had the codes red it was told it was working fine. What will happen if i just unplug the servo motor ????

OP
O

omegav6

Reaction score
The egr pipe don't seem to be sucking at all as for the servo motor i have not tried anything much since i spoke with you earlier basicly i gave up ive had way to many late nights this week so im back at it tomorrow afternoon

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
I have not tried blipping the throttle i just revd to see if the linkage would move and it didn’t, prior to the inlet removal only one of the flaps was working i have now reconnected the others maybe blipping the throttle will make them work. The boost seems to be working fine i can hear it when i drive the car but as i said it seems gutless, i have not felt at any of the pipes to see if they harden. As for the air mass this was fine prior to me doing the job I’ve just done i had the codes red it was told it was working fine. What will happen if i just unplug the servo motor ????

i just want you to see the servomotor move the flaps. if it does not your ecu will give you a limphome mode, and all your current symptoms! if you unplug it, same story.

you revved the engine, the linkage stayed still? sounds like it is a shot servomotor if you are sure the flaps are ok. however this servo is fused, if the fuse blows then it definately wont work! check fuses.

if the servo is not moving the ecu will log fault codes, no doubt about it, definately, not maybe.

have a read here http://www.ms-motor-service.com/ximages/pg_si_0071_en_web.pdf

if you can 'hear the boost when driving the car' that is a bad sign!!!!!!! have you seen the problems people have with bust hoses and intercoolers? to save my keyboard have a search of the forums. hearing boost means you have pressure loss somewhere - it ought to be easy to find where.

OP
O

omegav6

Reaction score
Just a quick update on this but first i would like to thank all who helped with the solution to this problem you are all a credit to the site and make the site what it is today
As for the problem i had the codes checked again and the only one showing was the servo motor for the flaps on the air inlet, i had a meddle about with it and it now seems to be working fine and not storing any codes the black smoke issue is 90% cured by the time the car has had a good hard run i think it will be fine. So once again thanks guys the info received on here and help of kevbo57 has saved me a large garage bill cheers guys
Mark

kebo57

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml270
Hi Mark thats good news
sounds like the cunning repair to the flaps mechanism is going to work out OK:cool:

Kevin

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom