Help split break Caliper

chicken_legs

Reaction score
Hello,

I did what they tell you not to do, which is not to split the brake calliper. How do I put the calliper back together with a seal so no air nor oil leaks there for allowing me to bleed brake system?

Robbostanhill

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E270 Estate 2003 and *Her* C220 W203
Seal?... Throw it some fish

If there wasn't a seal there in the first place what makes you think there will be a need for one on reassembly?
If there are O rings then check they are sound, or replace.
If the bolts are tight enough when reassembled there shouldn't be any air leaks nor fluid leaks out. Bleed as per normal and see how it feels

OP
C

chicken_legs

Reaction score
Hi Robbostanhill,

Ok will have a try again, but I did put back the caliper together before and then pumped brakes and bleed but after 10 minuets of just air and no oil and brake pedal soft I gave up.

Will try again possibly bleed the whole system. The brake oil reservoir has two sections, front section with cap is full but the back section is below min, What solution would you offer?

yorkshire1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
"98 S202 C250TD Manual hybrid
bleeding

depending on vehicle there is usually a correct sequence for bleeding brakes and the load compensating valve can cause issues if this is not followed

OP
C

chicken_legs

Reaction score
Sequence

ITs a w126 se 300

I've got the sequence from the manual book. Thanks

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
Hi
Is it front or rear?
Did you fill the caliper with brake fluid first.

OP
C

chicken_legs

Reaction score
Mattkh hi,

They are rear and no I didn't refill them how would I do that?

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
Hi
When you had the caliper off the wheel, you fill up the caliper as much as you can to get as much of the air out.

OP
C

chicken_legs

Reaction score
Fill it

Hello Mattkh,

I had the caliper off and in half, but my question is when I put it back together which I expect is the senior your relating to me from where do I fill it up from?

From bleeding value?

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
Or the brake pipe going to the caliper.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
One should not have to fill a caliper when fitting, it will fill and bleed on its own

NW_Merc

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes W202
Hi
When you had the caliper off the wheel, you fill up the caliper as much as you can to get as much of the air out.

Rubbish. You expel the air when you bleed the system and the pressure of the system (either by using the pedal or pressure bleed system) forces the air out. You dont ever fill the caliper and then fit it.

OP
C

chicken_legs

Reaction score
Many thanks

Thank you for all your feed back

Will have a go next week and fill u guys in. At the moment making my own pressure bleeding system and intend to change both rear calliper hose.

Will try to post pictures to entertain you guys on my lack of know how. Oily iPhone

Bye

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
Buy a reconditioned caliper! They are not that expensive.

OP
C

chicken_legs

Reaction score
That's an idea but have no clue where to get them from?
This calliper has given issues before prevouusly seizing up so might be an idea but when taking pads off pistons did move back easierly with just my figures which would suggest it's not seized up.

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
It can be helpful to unmount the caliper to invert it to help get the air out - it depends where the feed pipe is relative to the bleed nipple(s)

I've had lots of success gravity bleeding cars. Put a pipe over the bleed nipple and feed it into a container. Crack the nipple till you get a slow feed from it then keep the reservoir topped up as fluid bleeds through. No pedal pressing required

A useful tool for this kind of job is a clamp for the flexi pipe - it helps stop air bubbles travelling back up the brake pipes when you remove a caliper

Nick Froome

Last edited:

Pathfinder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLC 220 CDi Sport Diesel Year 2008
That is a pity, cause they were good.

Richard Moakes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500; ML500
A good tip is to 'tap' the caliper with a hide faced or other soft faced mallet during bleeding, it dislodges any air in the caliper towards the bleed nipple.

Had issues with a BMW caliper in the past, this technique enabled me to remove the air causing a soft pedal.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom