help with buying

EBDave123

New Registration
Reaction score
Hi, I'm after a bit of advice about buying a 1999 c240 elegance tiptronic.

can rust be a prob on these (as with the 1995+ E Classes?).

it's due a service & has some symbols on dash to indicate this, is this simply a service due indicator or could it be signalling a problem? how do i tell?

I use a local garage for servicing my previous car, is there anything special about servicing a MB that's likely to be a problem for them?

can't remember if it has 2 or three seat belts in the rear!

thanks for any help or advice..

philharve

Reaction score
Website
go.to
Your Mercedes
W202 C230K Auto 2000
Hi EBDave123

Rust DOES affect the C-class. I've submitted a corrosion claim to MB and my car is a W (2000). You will read elsewhere in this Forum of owners with cars more recent than mine having body panels replaced!!! MB claim they have the quality problem licked, only time will tell. Older Merc's were apparently better built. Newer Merc's have composite body parts and don't corrode.

Exactly what symbols are illuminated on your display? What does your manual say about them? They're certainly warning you that something needs attention. I hope it's nothing crucial to your safety. Have you a Haynes manual?

I would ask the garage owner whether they can service an MB. They should use genuine MB parts, if possible. They are not the kind of cars that can be run on a shoestring. Treated with love and attention they should give years of service.

There's a lot of electronics in these vehicles and you need a mechanic whose familiar with these systems and has the necessary computerised equipment to interrogate them.

A knowledgible and competent enthusiast can do most of the routine servicing on an MB. Many owners in this Forum do just that. Many are professionals and can give expert advice.

REGARDS Phil

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom