Help with Golf

SLinKyjoe

Reaction score
Its Golf as in VW and not a good walk spoilt. Ok sorry its not Mercedes, but it is German and is owned by the future Mrs Slinky were I daft enough to ever ask. (Which I am not by the way, so lets just say were good friends eh?)

Anyhow, maybes people on hear can help so here goes.

a 2ltr petrol Golf Mk 4 (04) 5dr. And yes, its Primer!

We have developed a squeaking which appears to come from the offside rear. Its very noticable from outside, but sounds from the inside as a kind of wheelbarrow squeak if you can imagine what I mean.

Annoyingly it seems to be intermitant and doesnt make the noise on command. You cannot replicate the noise by driving style, such as leaving the handbrake off and coasting downhill, or by pulling away with right or left lock on. It doesn't always occur, even when wet or after washing, and will make this noise after a considerable journey when really warm, and can often make the same noise after being stood overnight either outside or when its comes out of the garage. it does seem that it doesn't make this noise at speeds above 3rd gear if you see what i mean, altho that may in part be due to the noise being overcome by road, wind and tyre noise but lets says its noticiable at low speeds.

If you were stood on the pavement you can quite clearly hear this noise as the car goes past, when it makes it.

Lowering the windows on the both sides suggests its coming from the offiside rear and is definatley and exterior noise which is loud enough to be heard inside the cabin. When its been to the dealer, and this has been mentioned, of course it didnt do it with them, and when we have taken them for a spin, it refuses to play up until we have gone our own way.

Am still searching the net for information, and a few friends have had the same, or similar noises, which appears to be cured with new brake linings, pads etc, this car has rear disks, but after a few months or so, they get the noise back. All golfs mk4's but not 2ltrs.

Is it just rear brake pad wear? can it be, and this is what I think, a sticking caliper or could it be something like the handbrake cable, suspension arms or something mechy like that rubbing another bit? Does it appear to be the start of something which could eventually get more serious? and therefore need sorting, or could it be the anti squealy bits not doing their job or the anti squeal grease wearing off? or something simple and not to worry about as such.

it sounds on both left and right turns.

Anybody any ideas that may help shed some light on this and what a possible cause, cure is?

I realise you cannot diagnose from a description so I have tried to fill in as many blanks that can be, in the hope that someone can either recognise the fault through experince, or offer all possible causes and how to test for them, so we can eventually eliminate them which, by Sherlocks deductive powers, leave the one remeaning, no matter how elementary, clue as the culprit!

Have asked this on a VW forum too, and maybe the odd MB forum too, so any info I get I will post up here if it offers help to anyone with the same or similar problems in the future.

Ultymate

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C230K Estate 1998
If said Golf has rear discs make sure you have'nt got a road chipping trapped between the shield (tin plate) and the disc as this can cause all manner of intermittant noises.

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
does it happen only at slow speeds or equally at 50 as 20 and is the noise the same? - e.g. Are we talking about something related to rotation or suspension?

OP
S

SLinKyjoe

Reaction score
if it happens beyond 30mph you cant hear it due to other noises. if you open the window to listen the wind noise is greater than other noises.

am working out a way of hanging the Video Camera mic outside the car near the rear wheel well to see if that can pick it up.

it is rotational. the suspension doesnt creak or squeak if you compress it whilst still. it does seem it isnt weight dependant either. it squeaks full or empty.

the VW forum has some info about trailing arms and stuff that under movement sway left and rub bits. So it could be rubbing a rotating part. trouble is, I am not sure where to look underneath, and when i do, things seem normal to me, which doesn't mean much really. it doesn't just squeak when going left or right tho. it does do it straight, uphill and downhill.

it is momentary however, it squeaks for about 2-5 seconds, then stops and can go away for the whole journey, or come back at any point during it, usually when you are, or have slowed down. but again this could just be thats when you have less noise to overcome its cabin penetration!

She dont wear earrings! i checked.

OP
S

SLinKyjoe

Reaction score
Ultymate said:
If said Golf has rear discs make sure you have'nt got a road chipping trapped between the shield (tin plate) and the disc as this can cause all manner of intermittant noises.

thanks. will take a look and see if i can see anything.

veedweeb

Reaction score
There was a common problem with earlier Golfs, and Polos too (and it's nothing to do with earrings!)

The rear brakes have a load sensing valve that alters the bias from front to rear. If you carry a heavy load in the boot, or tow a trailer, the bias shifts.

These valves are prone to seizing, and this often results in a knocking noise.

It's possible that it's causing the brakes to stay on slightly, meaning the pads are rubbing on the disc, and that could be making the noise.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom