Here at last!

Rhoda

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350
Bit of a fraud really as I am a wannabe SL owner! Looking for help and advice to pick the right model for me then find the perfect car! I have a '99 Porsche 986 but looking for some luxury from a R230. Considering everything from the SL350 to the SL55 but lots to learn and consider - advice sought and then car sought!

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome,

Are you keeping the Porsche as well ?

SL's are nice but not a sports car the way a Porsche is.

There's lots of R230 owners on here, so you'll get advice. Although few people come to forums because everything is perfect so be prepared to hear horror stories...

(They also leak...) :shock:

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Hi Rhoda, welcome to the forum, nice to have you aboard :)

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E class coupe 350 CDI
Welcome, Rhoda. :)

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Hello and welcome
I have an SL55 and they all pick on me :(

We have had a few R230's and they need to be used regularly, all our SL's were daily drivers with high miles because in my book that means they have been reliable. My 55 has not seen much use over the last year and has started to leak badly around the boot seals and C Pillars, batteries going flat. So if you want one, use as much as you can.
ABC is the biggest and most expensive issues that can be a right pain in the wallet.
Water leaks seem to be Part N Parcel now for the R230 and if left unattended to can cause PSE failure.
ABC and PSE are the most expensive repairs but again down too good maintenance to keep these in good working condition.
Finding one with full MB or Indy service history doesn't mean diddly to me as with any car history of not can cost money. It's whether or not the car was built on a Friday afternoon like my E Class :rolleyes:
There are some good Indy's down south and if you are serious about finding good R230, Alexanderfoti on here would be a to go to for inspection's etc
The better ones to go for in my own opinion would be 2005 up.
My first choice after owning would be SL 350, second choice the SL 500 and if you are after sheer power combined with luxury the SL 55 AMG ;)
Good luck :)

OP
Rhoda

Rhoda

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350
Hello and welcome
I have an SL55 and they all pick on me :(

We have had a few R230's and they need to be used regularly, all our SL's were daily drivers with high miles because in my book that means they have been reliable. My 55 has not seen much use over the last year and has started to leak badly around the boot seals and C Pillars, batteries going flat. So if you want one, use as much as you can.
ABC is the biggest and most expensive issues that can be a right pain in the wallet.
Water leaks seem to be Part N Parcel now for the R230 and if left unattended to can cause PSE failure.
ABC and PSE are the most expensive repairs but again down too good maintenance to keep these in good working condition.
Finding one with full MB or Indy service history doesn't mean diddly to me as with any car history of not can cost money. It's whether or not the car was built on a Friday afternoon like my E Class :rolleyes:
There are some good Indy's down south and if you are serious about finding good R230, Alexanderfoti on here would be a to go to for inspection's etc
The better ones to go for in my own opinion would be 2005 up.
My first choice after owning would be SL 350, second choice the SL 500 and if you are after sheer power combined with luxury the SL 55 AMG ;)
Good luck :)
Thank you 00slk, you have confirmed what I think I had come to already. I doubt my SL would more than 1,000 a year and I don't drive myself. I love the sound and performance of the SL55 but think it would be most unhappy with such little use much as I would love one I am tending towards the SL350. I think I saw on YouTube that the body was aluminium after 2008? I have seen some early ones that have suffered 'metal moth' and would like to avoid that of course.

OP
Rhoda

Rhoda

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350
Hello and welcome,

Are you keeping the Porsche as well ?

SL's are nice but not a sports car the way a Porsche is.

There's lots of R230 owners on here, so you'll get advice. Although few people come to forums because everything is perfect so be prepared to hear horror stories...

(They also leak...) :shock:
Hi Bobcat,

Yes I am keeping the Porsche as well. Silly I know as I don't even drive but I did 40 years ago and still a petrol head! Now I have time and resources to indulge my passion for cars and no kids to worry about spending their inheritance! I have a friend who drives me sometimes and she is 74, the Porsche scares her a bit so I thought something more sedate was in order and I do so love the look of the R230. I am settling on the SL350 I think simply because it won't mind doing such little annual mileage it seems. If I find another pilot, the Porsche will be fun for driving but the SL better for long distance and comfort.

OP
Rhoda

Rhoda

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350
And mine, ABC suspension in a 20 year old car = problems unless previous owners have been fastidious
Thank you Malcolm, the SL350 does seem the sensible way to go as I have heard and read that the ABC needs a lot of love. I had a Mercedes MPV with a similar system years ago I think.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Thank you Malcolm, the SL350 does seem the sensible way to go as I have heard and read that the ABC needs a lot of love. I had a Mercedes MPV with a similar system years ago I think.

Yes ABC does need a lot of love....and money

Good luck with the hunt!

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Hello Rhoda and welcome. You’ve already got some very good advice so I won’t try to add anything (because I don’t know anything about SLs :rolleyes:)

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello Rhoda and welcome. You’ve already got some very good advice so I won’t try to add anything (because I don’t know anything about SLs :rolleyes:)
I’m fairly confident you know they leak though... ;)

OP
Rhoda

Rhoda

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350
Yes Blobcat, I have heard that all the SL R230's can have water ingress issues particularly in the boot but all convertibles have issues like that I think, I have to bail out my Ford StreetKa (don't spit!) on a regular basis!

Thank you all for you kids welcome.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes Blobcat, I have heard that all the SL R230's can have water ingress issues particularly in the boot but all convertibles have issues like that I think, I have to bail out my Ford StreetKa (don't spit!) on a regular basis!

Thank you all for you kids welcome.
My SLK is arid ;)

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Hi Rhoda and welcome to the forum. My SL55 doesn't leak and never has in my ownership.

Like any convertible, all you have to do is treat the seals occasionally and make sure the heater box drain modification has been carried out (easy to do)

Yes the SL55 is an awesome beast, but I agree a 350 would be ideal for you.

I keep my '55 garaged, would yours be kept inside ?

I say go for it, you won't regret it, awesome car. But you need to find a good one, that's been looked after. If you find one you like, post the advert up here and we'll be happy to advise !

Mark

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom