Hi all, newbie after some advice !

sheriff

Reaction score
I've just bought a '53 A170 cdi Elegance Auto. I'm looking to buy a warranty for it. I've read a few posts regarding warranty direct etc, giving a list of what they cover, and read a few tales of things that they wouldn't pay out for. I've mailed Mercedes to see what they would charge, but whilst searching about, I came across this one,

What is Covered - Platinum (formerly Gilt)

Component Cover -The following components are covered against Mechanical Breakdown (as defined elsewhere in this warranty document) of those items listed below.Please note that parts not listed are specifically excluded.

ENGINE

All components contained within the cylinder block and head including pistons, rings, crankshaft, big end bearings, manifolds, rocker assembly, timing chains, timing gears, distributor drive.

TURBO UNIT

All components including inlet and exhaust turbine shafts, bearings, bushes, wastegate devices. Turbo cover ceases at 7 years or 80,000 miles (whichever comes sooner).

GEARBOX

All components contained within either manual or automatic transmissions including gears, bearings, clutches.

CLUTCH

All components including clutch plate, clutch cover, thrust bearing and or release bearing. Limited to one clutch repair during the warranty duration.

DIFFERENTIAL

All components including gears, pinions, bearings, shafts.

DRIVE SHAFTS

All components including propshaft, drive shafts, C.V. joints, couplings.

BRAKES

All components including servo units, cylinders, valves.

STEERING

All components on steering systems including power steering units, rams, pumps, reservoirs, steering box..

SUSPENSION

All components including control arms, bushings, ball joints, pins.

BEARINGS

All components including wheel bearings, seals, hubs, flanges, where mechanical breakdown has occurred causing sudden stoppage of their function.

COOLING SYSTEM

All components including radiator (excluding external damage), matrix, water pump, head gasket, thermostat.

VENTILATION

All components including heater assembly vents, tubes, controls.

E.C.U.

All components including solid state control units, triggering units, distributor, coil.

ELECTRICS

All components including motors, solenoids, relays, alternator, starter motor, switches, computers.

FUEL SYSTEM

All components including fuel pump, carburettor, sender units, gauges, air flow meters, accumulator fuel distributor, regulators.

AIR CONDITIONING

All components including compressors, pumps, reservoirs.

LOCKS

All components including regulators, handles, locks, catches (excluding accidental damage).

SEALS

All major oil seals and gaskets.

CASINGS

Casings are covered if they have been damaged by any of the listed parts.

EXCLUSIONS

Cylinder head cracks, damage caused by frost, overheating or as a result of a lack of anti-freeze, all normal maintenance items such as but not limited to plugs, points, filters, breather valves, valve cover, gaskets, plus parts. In car entertainment systems.LPG systems. Normal wear and tear.

It does state that ALL components are covered ? Doesn't look to bad to me. I look forward to any comments :smile:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hi & Welcome,

My only experience of non manufacturers warranties is bad (all previous to owning an MB), with the MB warranty however I have been pleasantly surprised and I have had no issues. Whilst the only warranty left on my car is the 30 yr corrosion warranty they have just authorised and repaired 9 claims on my car. I would wait and see what MB come up with.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom