Hi, Tips needed for possible purchase

Tim Mulligan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 CLK 220cdi
Hi All, My wife and i are looking at getting another Merc,
Ive had a c250 and then 1st gen A class and then lastly a C class estate about 15yrs ago,
Today 6/7/20 were off to look at a 2006 CLK 350 soft top, fairly high miles 140k, it will only get light use 1-2k per year, in theory in my mind its a big engine so should cope well with the high miles, its had 3/4 owners from new each, ive done HPI and its all clear, checked Mot history and again looks like its had regular maintenance, couple of engine warning lights which i questioned and was told 1 was for a Lambda issue and another for thermostat, both rectified and cleared. condition looks very good from pics and videos, oh and its a Aventgarde model. So our questions are to you kind folk what should we be looking for and what's your opinions.
many thanks
Tim & Maria

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
First thing I would do would be to operate the roof a few times and then check for rust. Otherwise usual stuff on a used car. There are plenty of CLK's around for sale - I'd be looking at a handful before deciding.

OP
T

Tim Mulligan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 CLK 220cdi
First thing I would do would be to operate the roof a few times and then check for rust. Otherwise usual stuff on a used car. There are plenty of CLK's around for sale - I'd be looking at a handful before deciding.
Thanks Peter, Are there any particular areas which are prone to rust.
cheers
Tim

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A couple I have seen had rust on the arches, and the front wings, but these might have been exceptions. Might be worth a quick look underneath with a torch, but it sounds like this one has a reasonable maintenance record.( I'd be checking the maint. paperwork though).

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Hi Tim, welcome to the forum and good luck in your search :)

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Welcome Tim & Maria
The engine you'd be correct about, and as Peter above- history, tin worm to look at.
Roof mechanism and leaks in the boot (not as bad as some models mind)

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Pay close attention to the rear subframe. Some 2006 cars seem to suffer badly from corrosion of the subframe around the suspension arm mounts. It can be hard to see so look carefully.

OP
T

Tim Mulligan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 CLK 220cdi
A couple I have seen had rust on the arches, and the front wings, but these might have been exceptions. Might be worth a quick look underneath with a torch, but it sounds like this one has a reasonable maintenance record.( I'd be checking the maint. paperwork though).
Thanks again, would you be concerned by mileage? I see on your profile you have/had the 350
Cheers
Tim
Pay close attention to the rear subframe. Some 2006 cars seem to suffer badly from corrosion of the subframe around the suspension arm mounts. It can be hard to see so look carefully.
Thanks for you help

OP
T

Tim Mulligan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 CLK 220cdi
Thanks for your help

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E class coupe 350 CDI

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks again, would you be concerned by mileage? I see on your profile you have/had the 350
Cheers
Tim

Thanks for you help
Personally I wouldn't buy such a high mileage car, I've always gone for low mileage stuff. Others will disagree I'm sure and point out that some do zillions of miles without any problem. There are plenty of CLK's around so unless the price is bargain basement or you have a particular reason for buying this example, I would look at others. Matter of personal choice really. As LostKiwi says, important to check rear subframe. Can be expensive to sort a badly corroded one, if you can't do it yourself.
Good luck on the search - CLK's are nice cars. What you really need is a CLK63 though!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
And I'm the other way to Peter...
None of my cars have under 100k miles.
None were bought with less than 80k.

My Smart has donec145k miles with the only major items being a clutch, intercooler and a water pump.
Additional to that it's had a boost control valve, CPS and a couple of thermostats (which are a pain to change and invariably result in lacerations). Had that since 80k miles.

E Class has 155k miles and only major expenses are two rear suspension spheres, radiator and Aircon compressor. Had that since 112k miles.

The two SLs are somewhat less used but have 110k and 145k miles. No major issues with either.

As always though it depends on usage. Motorway miles are far kinder than town miles. I'd rather a 100k motorway miles car than a 50k town miles car.

OP
T

Tim Mulligan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 CLK 220cdi
Hi All, Thanks so much for advice, i had a conversation with a local indy garage that a friend recommended, and was told to avoid the 350, so we started our search again, and have ended up buying a 09 CLK C220CDI Coupe after looking at and testing a few convertibles, i know its a bit sedate and aint going to Santa Pod, but my wife loves it and the colour (Iridium Gray) Nice surprise with tax and ins, it does have a couple of little issues which ill sort as soon as we get it (folding mirrors) thanks again for all your help i'm sure i'll be a regular visitor.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom