How do you replace Self-Levelling Suspension on W210

Sean Ng

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1996 E230 Estate, 1996 E230 Saloon, 1995 Mitsubishi FTO Coupe
Hi Sean,

Great post, I am just about to try this job myself, can I take you up on your offer to Rupak please.

'Hi Rupak

In general, the job is not difficult. When you look at your newly bought spheres, you should be able to figure out what is necessary to remove for replacement.

I have a Mercedes technical note for hydraulic sphere removal and installation in hand. Please let me know your email address so that I can send it (together with some photos) over to you for your reading.'

I have sent a pm with my email address.

Many thanks

Phil

Hi Phil

Have sent you the technical note and some photos.

One of the photos shows a yellow label on the hydraulic fluid reservoir cap. It lists the code of the hydraulic fluid: 0019892003. My understanding is that it is synthetic oil, not mineral. And you can get it from dealer or GSF. Be careful when you buy the fluid. My experience with GSF is that there is another kind of hydraulic fluid with similar code; their bottle shape and bottle colour are the same as well. GSF gave me two different types of fluid and I did not notice until I opened and poured half the second bottle in.

Hope all these help.

Regards
Sean

Last edited:

stuboy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210/2001/3.2 Petrol
E320 W210 Estate Spheres and ride heights

Hi Chaps I am suspecting spheres! My ride height seems low at the back, I measured to the ground from the underside of the top of the wheel arch today and got the following:-
Left Front 66.5cm
Right Front 66cm

Left Rear 64.5cm
Right Rear 64.3cm

So I definitely have a saggy bottom, any chance of one of you chaps with good suspension confirming that it should be 66ish all round? :?

Do both spheres go at ones, maybe the ride height lever has seized?
Am open to suggestions.
Regards
Stuart

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
There are 2 things which effectively set the ride height.

Firstly, the springs themselves *almost* support the car at the right height.

However, in order to keep some m,inimum level of pressure in the system, and hence allow some rebound action, there is also a small amount of pressure, so-called "basic pressure". This basic pressure provides the last little bit of ride height in an unladen car.

If your car is low, then, yes, check the oil level, check the height controller hasn't seized, check that no coils in your springs have broken, and, check the basic function of the system by adding load - this will check the operation of the pump, and the basic operation of the height controller valve.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Flushing

I have read that you can flush the self levelling suspension system out with petrol then compressed air or use some flushing oil from Total apparently it is important to clear out the muck has anyone any information on this? I am plotting to change my spheres as things have got a bit hard.

Sean Ng

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have read that you can flush the self levelling suspension system out with petrol then compressed air or use some flushing oil from Total apparently it is important to clear out the muck has anyone any information on this? I am plotting to change my spheres as things have got a bit hard.

Hi Frontstep

The power steering pump of my W210 estate circulates hydraulic fluid at a high speed. After GSF gave me wrong hydraulic fluid (see my post on 16-11-2009), my SLS was contaminated with mixed hydraulic fluid. I took the opportunity and used the mixed fluid to flush the system by running the engine (running the power steering pump actually) for a few minutes, and then just simply drained it through the drain plug. Pouring in correct fluid (compensated by GSF), closing reservoir cap, running engine again for a few minutes, I saw the colour of the fluid in the reservoir was not changed. I knew the system was properly flushed.

I would suggest you use some kind of hydraulic fluid for the flushing purpose, not petrol with compressed air. Perhaps some experts in this forum would later point out what kind of hydraulic fluid is the best for flushing SLS.

Hope my experience will help you in your spheres changing plan.

Sean Ng

Last edited:

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
Sean's right - there's a reasonable chance of error in getting the right fluid, because the system has changed.

On W124s and earlier cars, there was a seperate pump for PAS and another one for the SLS - in some cases these 2 pumps were in the same housing, the so-called tandem pump. These cars with seperate pumps have different types of fluid in the PAS and in the SLS.

On W210s and newer cars, there is now only one pump.

For flushing oil, I would buy some of the correct oil, meeting the MB sheet number required, from somewhere like GSF, and flush with that.

The PAS pump will pump very quickly - the old, sperate pumps for SLS pump very slowly, and flushing and renewing fluid on those cars was quite a leisurely job in comparison with the speed of the PAS pump.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Thank you all, my excuses for correcting my overhard suspension seem to be going it looks like Spheres from Eurocarparts at £58 each plus 2 litres of fluid it serves me right for not attending to the job when it was warmer!!!!!

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Does anyone know the correct spec for the self levelling/power steering oil
I wish to flush my system before fitting new spheres and after as its quite mucky and I haven't any of the mercedes stuff yet. I want to flush it twice then put the correct spec in maybe it will be the same ? thanks in anticipation.
I will pass an oil supplier soon who will sought me out if I give him the spec.

Have sorted it the original oil is Fuchs Titan ZH 5364B a specific mix for MB
It is a synthetic based hydraulic oil.

Last edited:

Pontoneer

Banned
Reaction score
Sean's right - there's a reasonable chance of error in getting the right fluid, because the system has changed.

On W124s and earlier cars, there was a seperate pump for PAS and another one for the SLS - in some cases these 2 pumps were in the same housing, the so-called tandem pump. These cars with seperate pumps have different types of fluid in the PAS and in the SLS.

Even cars with the tandem pump ( six cylinder cars only ; fours and eights had separate pumps ) ran separate fluids in the two systems as the two chambers of the pump were separate : power steering used ATF and SLS/ASD used ZHM mineral oil .

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
Even cars with the tandem pump ( six cylinder cars only ; fours and eights had separate pumps ) ran separate fluids in the two systems as the two chambers of the pump were separate : power steering used ATF and SLS/ASD used ZHM mineral oil .

Yes, that's exactly my point - the tandem pump looks like one pump, but, in fact is two.

However, W210s are different again.

stuboy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210/2001/3.2 Petrol
Thanks to a lovely sunny day i am now armed with all the info i think i need including pics. It seems my problem is probably leeky shocks under load.
I topped up my SLS about 6 months ago and it is down to the min level again when i filled to max, there are also signs of slight fluid leakage around the bottom of the shock gaters.
So my theory is that i top up the SLS and it works for a bit until the leak drains fluid and the springs to take enough weight that the pressure is off the shocks. Does this all sound correct and or familiar?
If so where do U suggest for new ones GSF?
Regards
Stuart

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
If you have BOTH leaking struts you might want to try power steering leak stop fluid you have little to lose and much to gain.
I have no doubt some will recoil (pun intended) in horror though, and regale us with some tall tales of chernobyl type consequences.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Further to my post I assume that the rear struts can be rebuilt with new seals/0-rings
it is not the norm but theres no rocket science in them they are only hydraulic struts and it is probably the seals that have gone subject to the outer covers being intact and the rams unscored, please don't whinge anyone it is only a suggestion.

stuboy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210/2001/3.2 Petrol
I would be up for a rebuild as long as i can get the bits and get them apart, there Sachs Boge 01 2400 102 410,
merc part A210 320 1713

Anyone tried a rebuild?
Regards
Stuart

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Just do a search under hydraulic ram resealing in your area you could either have it done or buy the seals they do not have to be MB ones and getting hold of a leaky old one from some one perhaps on here should give you something to start with.

stuboy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210/2001/3.2 Petrol
oh dear

Sachs say there is no repair kit available and Euro Car parts have quoted....

Please sit down before reading this

£202+vat mercedes £320+vat EACH!!!!!! :mad:

Stuart

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I refer you back to my post I expected the price the old 450 sel 6.9,s have the struts rebuilt you are looking for some one to rebuild your struts or supply seals that will involve stripping cleaning examining a light hone maybe and rebuilding with new seals packings, it is a regular occurrence in all sorts of industries.
or power steering leak fluid ?
The seals would be determined by measuring.

Sean Ng

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sachs say there is no repair kit available and Euro Car parts have quoted....

Please sit down before reading this

£202+vat mercedes £320+vat EACH!!!!!! :mad:

Stuart

Hi Stuart

If you read my earlier post dated 10-03-2009, a pair of hydraulic shocks costed me £350 including VAT. If you think that is acceptable to you, ring GSF and see what they can offer you.

Good luck in your parts searching.

Regards
Sean Ng

stuboy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210/2001/3.2 Petrol
Strut rebuild

Yes I have a place that can do it locally, I went and asked them today.
Does anyone know if the struts on a W210 SLS estate come apart after i get them out?
If so has anyone an old one we could practice on, that would be gggggreat

Stuart

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
What part of the world are you in?

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom