1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long does your Raceglace Water filter last .. probably one for John ?

Discussion in 'General Mercedes-Benz Related Discussion' started by Submariner1, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Submariner1

Submariner1 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    CL500 2009 5.5
    Out of interest how long has your Race Glaze Filter gone on the original filter granules?
    Due to the cement dust issue (now sorted) , I must have washed it and the wifes say 40 times.

It still seems to prevent the limescale look. But as I always blow dry her immediately afterwards its difficult to tell if its still 0 PPM :)

If memory serves me well I think they said I should get 36 washes ( well rinse-downs) out of a filter.

As its been clayed, da polished and followed by 4 coats of Collinite 476S for the winter, I dont fancy doing the acid test of washing, then filter rinsing and then watching to see how it dries!

I guess as I can not see any limescale whiteout, its doing its job. :)

I lost the instuction on how to change the granules. I guess its pour out the old ones and flush them out and then replace. :). At £40 its a shame its not just a cartridge swap out.

2. rorywquin

rorywquin Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2017 SL400 AMG Line
    I just purchased (less than a tenner on Amazon) a TDS (total dissolved solids) aka hardness meter. RaceGlaze recommends you test your filtered water with one - then you will know exactly when to replace your resin.

FWIW you can get cheaper resin from other sources.

I was surprised to find my water is 3x harder than the council says and am now in the process of sourcing a filter and doing battle with Yorkshire Water.

3. John Laidlaw

John Laidlaw Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    UnMercs BMW i8 Volvo XC90
    I’ve done about 40 washes with mine at a guess and the harness meter is still showing 0 , so I’ll keep an eye on it - less washing happening at the moment until Spring

rorywquin likes this.
  4. star

star Forum Supporter Authorised Forum Supporter

Your Mercedes:
    Smart + others :)
    Doesn’t it depend on how much water you put through it? Not how many times you use it.

5. rorywquin

rorywquin Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2017 SL400 AMG Line
    Isn't one a function of the other ;-).

It also depends on the water hardness and in theory filtering 100ppm will last 3x longer than filtering 300ppm.

John Laidlaw and star like this.
  6. rorywquin

rorywquin Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2017 SL400 AMG Line
    My son had his car valeted today and a 6mth ceramic ....£100.00 Say 2x/year and a couple of washes in-between.

Makes me wonder if it is worth doing myself. The only upside I see is the exercise...Water, electricity, filter media, cleaning products, protective coatings...........

7. John Laidlaw

John Laidlaw Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    UnMercs BMW i8 Volvo XC90
    Beat me to it!

rorywquin likes this.