How low can you go?

Paul Garrett

Reaction score
Well well well! Not long had the beast back from my Fav indy garage and all going very well until this morning with my darling wife in the car, it decided to suddenly drop it's rear air suspension right down to the floor! Was doing 40mph when it happened so had to pull over asap , call to RAC and after a couple of hours recovery came to take me and my poor beasty to John Haynes in Worthing, the service manager said it could be the levelling rod it's it's snapped as front suspension is fine, having just had an £1100 bill in January I don't need another big bill landing on my lap! ...oh the joys of motoring !!!

Attachments

• IMG-20240327-WA0000.jpeg
    IMG-20240327-WA0000.jpeg
    167.4 KB · Views: 14

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
What a bummer! I do hope it’s a level sensor for you! btw - have you got a breakdown phone number for the RAC that you call or did you have to do it via the online app thing?

If it makes you feel any better I’m spending just a bit over that per month for people to scratch their heads wondering why my S class starts intermittently. Now it’s got to go back, if and when it decided to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Paul Garrett

Paul Garrett

Reaction score
What a bummer! I do hope it’s a level sensor for you! btw - have you got a breakdown phone number for the RAC that you call or did you have to do it via the online app thing?

If it makes you feel any better I’m spending just a bit over that per month for people to scratch their heads wondering why my S class starts intermittently. Now it’s got to go back, if and when it decided to start.

Have to say the RAC were brilliant, the recovery man was very effecient, just hoping it is something not too serious? One train of thought is that as the compressor and valve body has been replaced and now working at full pressure, maybe it's blown a valve sensor or pipe? Or the levelling rod or sensor as you suggested? I'm going for my left knee replacement on 16th April so want it back by then to put trickle charger on it while I'm in recovery and not driving the car for a while

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Do you have a breakdown phone number for the RAC or do you have to use that app thing?

OP
Paul Garrett

Paul Garrett

Reaction score
Do you have a breakdown phone number for the RAC or do you have to use that app thing?

Used the app thing, worked quite well actually

Reactions: DSK

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks. Despite my age I like old fashioned things such as emergency phone number and a human to talk to. I saw the number directs you to and I had a victor meldrew moment. I mean in an emergency whose got time to prat about downloading apps, what about those who don’t have a smart phone?

In fact those who don’t have a smart phone probably have an old car that is running perfectly fine…

OP
Paul Garrett

Paul Garrett

Reaction score
Thanks. Despite my age I like old fashioned things such as emergency phone number and a human to talk to. I saw the number directs you to and I had a victor meldrew moment. I mean in an emergency whose got time to prat about downloading apps, what about those who don’t have a smart phone?

In fact those who don’t have a smart phone probably have an old car that is running perfectly fine…

Yes I totally agree with you on that point, I'm old school me, down to my age as well I suppose! Tried calling but so hard to actually get through to a human? Had no problems years ago when needed their help, they call it progress but as far as I'm concerned, technology has just made things harder to get things done most of the time? I'm no luddite but sometimes the kiss method is best..keep it simple stupid,....and yes I've done a few victor moments!! Esp this morning!....I DON'T BELIEVE IT!!

OP
Paul Garrett

Paul Garrett

Reaction score
Update today on my beasty! John Haynes called me earlier to say my car has been fixed! Woohoo!! Turns out, David the service manager was spot on with his diagnosis of the rear self levelling rod, it was badly corroded and just snapped! They also cleaned up other areas which needed attention and fitted a new rod and £312 later extracted from my wallet! But it could have been much more serious, just another old worn out part needed replacing and just part and parcel of running an older vehicle, beasty drives wonderful again and so grateful for John Haynes and their great customer service and prompt repair of my beasty!

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Good to hear it’s a fix as predicted and expected.

OP
Paul Garrett

Paul Garrett

Reaction score
Good to hear it’s a fix as predicted and expected.

Yes but sadly next day back end dropped again! Started car up and it went straight up again? Suspension was reset but prob needs doing again? Have to contact garage Tues morn for questions

OP
Paul Garrett

Paul Garrett

Reaction score
Hi gang! Had a call from the John Haynes hospital for sick cars today, even they are bemused at finding the N/S rear air strut has a bad leak! Even though I picked the car up last Thurs and car was given the all clear! I've asked them to find out it's it's leaking from the top of the strut? If so I can repair it using JB weld? I've used it on the front struts to repair a few leaks in them and all ok since then, but if it's further down then it's a replacement!
Merc ones too long in back order so if needed then I suggested a bilstein strut to replace old one? Now waiting to get reply and fingers crossed it's a poss simple repair I've done before or it's more open wallet surgery at the private hospital for poorly cars!! ...SOB!! SOB!!

Last edited:
OP
Paul Garrett

Paul Garrett

Reaction score
Update on my beasty guys! Seems like I do need a replacement air strut! A Arnott strut has been ordered as David from John Haynes said it's the preferred choice for them as they very good and reliable, so once this has been done I really do not need any other nasty shocks! Spent a fortune on repairs over the last few months on it , in reality it would be best to sell the car but if I did il prob only get another car that needs spending on and Indo not want to take a loan out for a car, so il persevere with my old beasty and hope she behaves herself? Trouble is I've been spoiled owning the car as my beasty does drive beautifully! Ho hum! Onwards and upwards and as oddball from Kelly's heroes would say....No negatives waves man! No negative waves!

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Big ticket items are just part of maintenance and to me are periodic service items. It’s not what you want to hear but, I’ve only heard good things about Arnott and it would be what I choose as a replacement but, I’d do at least a pair, if not all 4 at the same time.

As for replacing it you are right, what other car will have this all done etc. once the repairs are done, if you know the car is mechanically good and capable of proving good ongoing service it’s silly to sell.

Last edited:
OP
Paul Garrett

Paul Garrett

Reaction score
Big ticket items are just part of maintenance and to me are periodic service items. It’s not what you want to hear but, I’ve only heard good things about Arnott and it would be what I choose as a replacement but, I’d do at least a pair, if not all 4 at the same time.

As for replacing it you are right, what other car will have this all done etc. once the repairs are done, if you know the car is mechanically good and capable of proving good ongoing service it’s silly to sell.

Yes common sense would be the order of the day having both rear struts replaced, but as I've been told that the O/S one is totally fine and as I'm not working at this time, having that one changed makes it not viable.

The one main thing I just can't face of selling it is the way it makes me feel when driving it, makes me smile every time and the way it accelerates is just addictive! I've driven some very good performance cars in my time but this at times just surprises me sometimes!

bladecrazy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
tesla model 3 performance /honda cd175/w123 300d gertrude.
Well well well! Not long had the beast back from my Fav indy garage and all going very well until this morning with my darling wife in the car, it decided to suddenly drop it's rear air suspension right down to the floor! Was doing 40mph when it happened so had to pull over asap , call to RAC and after a couple of hours recovery came to take me and my poor beasty to John Haynes in Worthing, the service manager said it could be the levelling rod it's it's snapped as front suspension is fine, having just had an £1100 bill in January I don't need another big bill landing on my lap! ...oh the joys of motoring !!!
everytime something goes wrong with our cars its always the wife who is driving.

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Acknowledged and I totally get what you are saying about how satisfied a vehicle can make someone.

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
everytime something goes wrong with our cars its always the wife who is driving.

That’s why Toyota made the Previa!

OP
Paul Garrett

Paul Garrett

Reaction score
Acknowledged and I totally get what you are saying about how satisfied a vehicle can make someone.

That’s why Toyota made the Previa!

My wife does not drive my car, A. She not on the policy and B. She used to drive an old Merc when she lived in Poland, but it was a slow pondering diesel as they were back then, she would be scared of crunching my pride and joy and it would be far too powerful for her anyway, so I can't blame her for any issues with mechanical issues

OP
Paul Garrett

Paul Garrett

Reaction score
Got my beasty delivered back to.me Friday morning, rear suspension is all done and working 100% £942 later and at least the new Arnott strut should last quite a few years? I have to say I have spent a fair bit of money on my old beasty but I just can't bear to part with it! If i sell it now I'd not get a huge amount for her and I still want a big automatic, so if I did that I could end up spending more money on another car with potential issues? My argument with my wife is better the devil you know and just replace the parts from wear and tear, I not want to take a loan for another newer vehicle and as I'm not working due to leg issues I'd not get a loan anyway so I'm a bit stuck really?...big issue for me is that I just love the car I have!

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom