How many key sets you'd get

aznuls

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am about to purchase a clk209 2004 from a dealer and i was told that they only have just one key. I was wondering if anyone here can tell me the no of keys that come with the car and other key related items ie chip card or the metal bit (sorry for not using the correct lingo) :).

Many thanks in advance.

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
There should be two keys per car. A new key costs about £250 so factor that into the price that you pay. Keys are only available from MB - there are six registered for your car at time of manufacture.

I don't know if the newer models also come with the emergency "card" key.

I was under the impression that it is possible to de-register keys, using STAR. I would discuss this with an MB dealer as otherwise the last owner could drive off with your car.

Benzman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43 coupe
I own a 2004 CLK and I can assure you that MB issue 2 sets of keys per car. The sales man is talking rubbish !! Each plastic key is also a vital part of the immobiliser system and incorporated within the this key is a metal emergency key for use if the main electronic key runs out of battery.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
As Benzman above always 2 keys plus if early keyless go you get 2 cards as well

OP
A

aznuls

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the clarification and saved me £250. i will get the dealer to reduce the car price for the same amount or give me a new key for free. Glad that i joined the right forum. Cheers guys. It is very much appreciated.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I would get them to provide a key before you hand over the folding.

S80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
None at the monent, but there's an OM642 in the Jeep Grand Cherokee!
I think you were being fobbed off by the dealer :razz:

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
Thanks guys for the clarification and saved me £250. i will get the dealer to reduce the car price for the same amount or give me a new key for free. Glad that i joined the right forum. Cheers guys. It is very much appreciated.

and note that used keys (from eBay etc) can't readily be reprogrammed with very special kit, so don't be fobbed (thanks to S80) off with a cheap solution.

*Thumper

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi (09)
Cobblers !!!!! .. 2 sets of key's and related items, come with any new MB ........... tell em you want both sets, or the deal is off !!!

Someones on an earner here !!!

OP
A

aznuls

Reaction score
I am going to check the car out this Sat and will definitely insist the additional key from them. Thanks guys for the advice. I will provide an update once i have looked at the car. Cheers

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
Problem is whilst that "lost" key is floating around someone could drive off with your new pride and joy.

Even if they supply a new key, you should investigate getting the lost one unregistered from the car.

apm85

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A150
Echoed. A new key will need to be formatted and programmed for your vehicle. You could expect to pay anywhere between £180 and £400 for this. It is wise to get a second key as it could save you money when it comes to reselling, or in the unfortunate circumstances where you lock yourself out of the car or lose your key. If you only have one key you will have to either break into your car or have it recovered to a garage. Expensive!

Andy.M

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 GLA250 Premium Plus, Night, AMG Exclusive Leather, Driving Assistance Packs COMAND DAB HK Audio
Doh, don't you just hate it when that happens :)

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom