How noisy is your 270cdi?

Wirral_guy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 CLK270cdi Avantgarde
Although there is plenty of power, and no obvious symptoms\problems, my 270cdi is quite noisy (in a 'diesely taxi' way) when started from cold. I'm finding it hard to describe but it is almost like it is not running on all cylinders. It gets progressively better as it warms up but I can't help wondering whether this is normal or not.

Can anyone with a 270cdi give their thoughts on what their's sounds like on startup?

Dave

HelpThisDude

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C270CDI, R172 SLK55 AMG
My C270cdi sounds like a black cab from the out side (123k miles) and the C220cdi sounds the same (240k miles).

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
The 270 is not the most refined MB diesel. Mine sounds clattery when cold, but has a wonderful growl on acceleration :)

Both these seem to disappear when warm. The growl is there but slightly more muted

sixpack

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 w212 220
Noisy 270cdi

Hi Wirral Guy
Agree with others, it is noisy when cold, not even that quiet when hot. Mine seemed to take ages to warm up but a new thermostat helped, part was about £27 from dealer.

Peter

ALFIEBEARD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
JAGUAR XF-R SPORT
Hi my E270 CDI is not really noisy more gruff(if thats a word):rolleyes: but what a nice engine when you boot it it growls like a V8:D and when hot on the motorway has a muted thrum about it, these are brilliant engines and are pretty powerfull for a diesel, and mine is very economical for a 2.7ltr around 45mpg cant grumble at that especially in a 140mph+ car. I think these engines are as good as any Mercedes have produced, and if correctly serviced can cover huge mileages.

hope this helps, my opinion is worth what you paid for it:lol:.

Regards
Alfie B

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
mine has 257,000 and it purrs (for a diesel) Its not that clattery when cold but is pretty quiet outside when warm.

OP
Wirral_guy

Wirral_guy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks all for your observations. It's not that it sounds wrong, just a bit noisy so I'll put it down to the design.

Dave

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
Has it had the oil changed recently? What viscosity oil is in it? A 0-30W will sound quieter on startup than a 10-30 or 40W. I reckon mine is quieter if the oil level is kept well up - but DON'T over fill it.

Also, what kind of diesel do you use? A higher cetane rating diesel, or adding something like Millers Diesel Power Plus might help. Some people swear by Millers but I have to say it doesn't seem to make any noticeable in difference in mine, but it's only done 42K.

Bizzarely, I reckon mine runs best, and it returns its best economy figures, on Sainsburys's City Diesel. It's 5% biofuel and I thought maybe it's extra oily or something. :) Yet I've seen plenty of comments from people saying their economy went down (sometimes a lot) when using this fuel.

Last edited:
OP
Wirral_guy

Wirral_guy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Has it had the oil changed recently? What viscosity oil is in it. A 0-30W will sound quieter on startup than a 10-30 or 40W. I reckon mine is quieter if the oil level is kept well up - but DON'T over fill it.

Also, what kind of diesel do you use? A higher cetane rating diesel, or adding something like Millers Diesel Power Plus might help. Some people swear by Millers but I have to say it doesn't seem to make any noticeable in difference in mine, but it's only done 42K.

Bizzarely, I reckon mine runs best, and it returns its best economy figures, on Sainsburys's City Diesel. It's 5% biofuel and I thought maybe it's extra oily or something. :) Yet I've seen plenty of comments from people saying their economy went down (sometimes a lot) when using this fuel.

Rory

Oil was changed about 2 months ago but am not sure of the quality as the car dealer did it so it may be poor quality.

I have already started using Millers SP4 but I didn't notice a change so am treating it as clean up solution rather than any other benefits and it is waayyy too expensive for constant use. I normally use Shell normal diesel - after the Millers has finished I might try some Shell premium diesel to see if that helps.

I am also looking at maybe sound-proofing the bonnet to see if that helps as I find it a lot less refined than my Volvo D5 engine which was almost petrol like in the sound. The CLK has a lovely growl when you boot it but awfully taxi like from cold.

Dave

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
At constant 35 mph i cannot hear my engine. Would have thought yours would be the same.
It will be noisy when hard accelerating though.
have you just come from a petrol car or something?
I drove a 2 year old audi A6 diesel the other day and its not as quiet as the merc.
A mobile mechanic friend of mine remarked how quiet my car is and even said hes been in petrols that are noisier !
When i test drove my car i remember saying to the conman- sorry seller that i was surprised how noisy it was for a merc but now think its quiet?
We will be getting Db meters next and comparing notes. lol.

HelpThisDude

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C270CDI, R172 SLK55 AMG
The 270 is not the most refined MB diesel. Mine sounds clattery when cold, but has a wonderful growl on acceleration :)

Both these seem to disappear when warm. The growl is there but slightly more muted

I do love the growl :) Not that mine is allowed of the leed much...

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
if you think a 270 growls when you boot it, you should hear my old 300 turbo! best noise ive heard from a diesel! although ive not had a go with a 320 cdi yet though!

tony2311

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203/2002/270cdi
Mine sounds like a taxi on accelaration. but very quiet cruising shame i drive in town/a roads mostly

Google44

Reaction score
Just out of interest, what sort of miles you get for £50 out of yours? I can hardly get 26 mpg with 80% drive on open road.

tony2311

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203/2002/270cdi
i get 400 miles to a tank. works out at around 35mpg which i though was bad but 26mpg on a c270:eek: there must be something not right

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
I average 43mpg over the last 18,000mls

In town around 38-42mpg

A good motorway run 50-60mpg

OP
Wirral_guy

Wirral_guy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I've done about 2000 miles since I got it and the computer is telling me just a shade under 40 (39.6). This has been a good mixture of motorway and urban driving with a fair bit of, err, ahem, testing under acceleration :). In that mileage is one long journey of 400 miles which hit 51mpg that might skew the figures a bit but am hoping to maintain around the 40 mark. Diesel used is Shell standard.

If you're only on 26mpg then you either drive flat out everywhere or there is something amiss!

Dave

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
I average 43mpg over the last 18,000mls

In town around 38-42mpg

A good motorway run 50-60mpg

Mine doesn't do "town" but 38-42 is about what I'd see on urban use, depending on how long the journey is.

I mainly use it for long steady motorway runs cruising at 70-75MPH but the best it'll display is 52-53MPG. Once it's settled, pushing up a hill will decrease the figure .1 or .2 and then it will come back it there's a downslope on the other side.

The cars lifetime average is 48.something so you can see how its use is skewed.

All a little meaningless as I've no idea how accurate the computer is!!

Google44

Reaction score
I apologize for this. As soon as I’ve seen cdi270 thought it is ML – same as mine. Still the same engine tho

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom