How rare is my SL R129...?

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
hi guys - thanks for the feedback even if some ppl were a little spiteful to say the least, seeing as i am a NEW MEMBER.....maybe i will meet up with some of you guys soon....will look forward to it:mad:!!!!!

i am sorry you feel this way david, but cannot really understand your tone - it seems you are feeling a little bruised by some of the opinions you solicited?

you asked us what we thought, and received honest replies, many complimenting you on a car that clearly makes you happy. my comments about badge engineering are perfectly valid, indeed some of the later 'factory' made amg mercedes models merely had styling and exhaust tweaks, and benefited from genuine amg status. your suggestion of spite is, i feel, way wide of the mark.

as i said, it saddens me that you feel this way, i hope you stick around to see we are actually a nice bunch here - if a little too honest at times!

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
David

Sorry it may have been my cutting comments. Great looking SL and the colour combo is good, but I cant see your SL as anything other that standard, the badge is easy to fit and the alloys although they look great are not standard for your year.
So if the alloys and badge where to be removed then the car would be a standard SL.

jib

OP
DSB SL AMG

DSB SL AMG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300SL (R129 1992 Pre-Facelift), Volvo V70 D5 SE Auto
Point taken...i will see how things pan out, as you indicated forums are surposed to be friendly places for 'like minded people...' it just seemed the way you came across was to 'clicky' for me and the old pals act etc etc just being honest!.... thats feedback from a NEWBIE.

Back to the car... i understand now AMG items may have been added etc but is the colour combination rare? you FORUM members most have been to lots of shows over the years...?

Any positive constructive feedback welcome.....

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Yes the 129 did come in various colours , and not two tone.

Feed the VIN into the link that I put up and see what it says.

My SL129 was a very nice car to drive and own,,they are very well made,,it will not rust, and delightful to drive

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
must agree with malcolm, the 129 will be seen as a very desireable classic. it is a practical every day and high mileage car, with good reliability and comfort (with hard top on). they are solidly finished with nice ergonomics and style, and will never depreciate again if maintained in condition.

as malcolm says, the colours inside and out are period, and would have been specified by the buyer being an, ahh, unusual but striking choice.

Richard Moakes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500; ML500
Point taken...i will see how things pan out, as you indicated forums are surposed to be friendly places for 'like minded people...' it just seemed the way you came across was to 'clicky' for me and the old pals act etc etc just being honest!.... thats feedback from a NEWBIE.

Back to the car... i understand now AMG items may have been added etc but is the colour combination rare? you FORUM members most have been to lots of shows over the years...?

Any positive constructive feedback welcome.....

If you like the colour combination, then surely that's all that matters?

I have only ever seen one other white R129, and it looked very good close up. The folding roof was brown and that looked superb against the white.

Enjoy the car, don't worry about the badges, it will give you many years of pleasure (...and probably the odd bit of pain, but not too much with any luck)

johnboy615

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 c220 Coupe
Having the green on green SEC I too have wondered how many of these were produced and how many have stood the test of time. I know a few cypress green cars have had a colour change as 80s tastes have aged. I suspect David was interested in the number of cars produced in that colour combo. Does MB keep a register of such things?

lanciaman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 Cabrio (A124) - 1994
Wouldn't worry about it being just a bog standard SL - that's not exactly a hardship in itself. I've very recently bought a 93 SL500 - it doesn't have the correct wheels but they look good, I like it, and that's the main thing.

The guys on here are very supportive and none of the regulars will be offensive. They may have a contrary opinion, or be honest, but my experience is nothing will be said in spite.

For what its worth, I like the colour combo of your car as well!

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes 500sl /r129 /1990
that did make me laugh, AMG... No its bog standard SL with fake later model AMG wheels on it.
View attachment 10097

View attachment 10098

View attachment 10099

View attachment 10101

View attachment 10102 Hi Guys,

Bought a pure White R129 1992 SL300 AMG factory spec, full OX Blood leather, cars mint full history. Early part of life was spent in Marbella as can be seen from service history...its now in sunny cheshire lol I looked at loads of SL's as i wanted a V8 but after seeing this it was stunning and as a Sunday car the straight 6 provides enough fun for me....

Question: has anyone else seen an identical spec...i know AMG was not part of Merc in 1992 so everything was fitted after factory build before delivery to dealer..

I look forward to any responces.

Thanks
David.

PS. Also have E220 CDI W210 post facelift as day car , was wondering if there are any meets planned in cheshire in near future, i know from posts that MB tec tryed organizing last year...

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Time has no meaning for some, old age is a good example :D

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
The front indicators and wheels would not date from 1992 I shouldn't think? If its the last of M103 12 valve engined models that would also count against it as a "collectable" as the engine would struggle a bit with a car that weighs so much. Price wise it would rank as a "very tidy" rust free early 300 SL nothing more. Nice car though.:-D Wonder if he sold it? ;)

Last edited:

Garista

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 ML 270 CDI. 1991 R129 300 SL
hi guys - thanks for the feedback even if some ppl were a little spiteful to say the least, seeing as i am a NEW MEMBER.....maybe i will meet up with some of you guys soon....will look forward to it:mad:!!!!!
Hi, its difficult to find out about rarity on these cars.

I have been trying with mine. It is a 91 300SL with I6 M103 engine, German market only car.

It has unusual spec, I think even for a German car.

For instance, one colour from factory, old fashioned keys, no side marker lights, no air bags, sports steering wheel that is not adjustable, original low sport springs all round, no headlamp wipers, a glovebox, etc, I look at German videos to see if they are common there, but it does not seem to be. The first owner was a MB employee.

Early cars had seven slats on the gold grill, and I think gold coloured trim like mine. Although it might seem low spec, it has cruise control and heated seats, alpaca leather, air, so seems to be deliberate choice. I wish I could find out more so if you find a good resource please let me know.

Garista

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 ML 270 CDI. 1991 R129 300 SL
The front indicators and wheels would not date from 1992 I shouldn't think? If its the last of M103 12 valve engined models that would also count against it as a "collectable" as the engine would struggle a bit with a car that weighs so much. Price wise it would rank as a "very tidy" rust free early 300 SL nothing more. Nice car though.:-D Wonder if he sold it? ;)
No, my 300SL gets to 150mph easily with more to spare, in every gear there is acceleration available. The weight just gives it a nice steadiness at speed.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Hi, its difficult to find out about rarity on these cars.

I have been trying with mine. It is a 91 300SL with I6 M103 engine, German market only car.

It has unusual spec, I think even for a German car.

For instance, one colour from factory, old fashioned keys, no side marker lights, no air bags, sports steering wheel that is not adjustable, original low sport springs all round, no headlamp wipers, a glovebox, etc, I look at German videos to see if they are common there, but it does not seem to be. The first owner was a MB employee.

Early cars had seven slats on the gold grill, and I think gold coloured trim like mine. Although it might seem low spec, it has cruise control and heated seats, alpaca leather, air, so seems to be deliberate choice. I wish I could find out more so if you find a good resource please let me know.
Surely a record for thread resurrection

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Our first SL 107 was a rarity, 'very little rust'
Number 27 from first one made if my memory serves me correctly.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom