How strict are police on expired MOTs?

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 S212 350 CGI // 2004 R230 500
Hello.

So my MOT expires in August 3rd.

I was planning on being back in Ireland the last week of July, and there is a chance I might not get back in time for a fresh MOT. I don't want to do it before I leave, because I would like to put the car on the lift and run through a few bits and ensure all is ok (I think it needs one or two bits doing).

.. In the off chance that I do end up driving from Holyhead to London with an expired MOT (less than 7 days). What are the chances I get in trouble?

Thanks
Conor

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
If you get stopped - high

You can drive legally to a pre-booked MOT

Doesn't state how far that is...;):rolleyes:

Larkone

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C219 CLS 320CDI 2008
No MOT means your car is not cleared to drive on roads as roadworthy vehicle so that means your insurance may be invalidated - other than driving to a garage for work/MOT. Some explicitly require it others don't - best to check yours first.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Yet I can run my old classic around no mot no tax 7 days grace wud harm no one.

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
A local on our community FB group posted a parking notice he had received for his white van from Tescos by the private parking company for parking outside marked bays. He asked if anyone else experienced it and if he doesn't pay do they bother to enforce....

The local police are also members on the forum.

A quick check showed no mot on his car so I replied "the parking penalty is a lot less than that given, for example, for not having a valid mot.

Amazing how quickly the post disappeared!

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Alastairp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CLK200 coupe (now gone) 2011 R230 SL350 2014 C220 estate
I think it needs one or two bits doing..

Get them done now if they would fail an MoT (imho).

Stick in in for the MoT and see what comes up.

Or use another vehicle in the meantime.

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 S212 350 CGI // 2004 R230 500
I think it needs one or two bits doing..

Get them done now if they would fail an MoT (imho).

Stick in in for the MoT and see what comes up.

Or use another vehicle in the meantime.

Hold on a second.. let's not lose the run of ourselves. You make it sound like the car is a rolling liability right now...

It's running fine and safe. When I say a few bits, a rear arm has a slight amount of play on it. Was same last year and wasn't even an advisory. The A/C needs a new compressor/pulley and I wouldn't mind having a look at the rear brake pipes and seeing what condition they are in. I've had new tyres on rear and fronts are decent. New pads and discs all around a thousand miles ago.

It's just that I plan on doing a bit of work on the car..and would rather just give it the once over prior getting it tested.. I would like to avoid getting a fail before I leave the country.. if I was to get delayed, for whatever reasons.. returning to the country on a failed vehicle would be a lot of hassle.

All my other cars are back in Ireland.

Rockron

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
709D/1990/OM364
I would do as post #2 pre book an MoT in London, although I seem to recall that it is expected that nearest practical Testing Station to point of entry should be used. I sometimes used to do that on returning from Euroland, pre the day when insurance cos adopted the requirement that vehicles "must have a current MoT even when overseas" was made more evident in the Policy Document's wording, some used to only stipulate that the vehicle was required to be in a roadworthy condition, possession of a current MoT wasn't specifically mentioned. I'm a bit surprised your Policy only requires 'roadworthiness'.

Then again a car with a current MoT isn't necessarily a roadworthy one.

But first I would check that the car (to the best of my abilities)would be likely to pass the test. If plod was to collar you for the sans MoT he wouldn't then have grounds to additionally charge you with the driving of an unroadworthy vehicle.

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
I would do as post #2 pre book an MoT in London, although I seem to recall that it is expected that nearest practical Testing Station to point of entry should be used. I sometimes used to do that on returning from Euroland, pre the day when insurance cos adopted the requirement that vehicles "must have a current MoT even when overseas" was made more evident in the Policy Document's wording, some used to only stipulate that the vehicle was required to be in a roadworthy condition, possession of a current MoT wasn't specifically mentioned. I'm a bit surprised your Policy only requires 'roadworthiness'.

Then again a car with a current MoT isn't necessarily a roadworthy one.

But first I would check that the car (to the best of my abilities)would be likely to pass the test. If plod was to collar you for the sans MoT he wouldn't then have grounds to additionally charge you with the driving of an unroadworthy vehicle.
Just a heads up there are a few "plod" on here (all nice and non vindictive by the way)!

Rockron

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
709D/1990/OM364
Just a heads up there are a few "plod" on here (all nice and non vindictive by the way)!

No worries I'm safe! My post implies interpretation as in stating 'should' rather than 'must' and the term 'seem to recall' implies an element of doubt. It is for the OP to decide if he considers driving straight home to London for a pre booked MoT is the most practical way to comply with law.
Certainly (in days of olde) when my MoT ran out whilst overseas I would prebook a test at my usual MoT station and drive straight there. No one could or would advise if this was best practice or not in the circumstances. I therefore made my own decision, as did many others.
These days I ensure my return from overseas occurs prior to MoT expiration, my Insurer currently categorically demands this.

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
No worries I'm safe! My post implies interpretation as in stating 'should' rather than 'must' and the term 'seem to recall' implies an element of doubt. It is for the OP to decide if he considers driving straight home to London for a pre booked MoT is the most practical way to comply with law.
Certainly (in days of olde) when my MoT ran out whilst overseas I would prebook a test at my usual MoT station and drive straight there. No one could or would advise if this was best practice or not in the circumstances. I therefore made my own decision, as did many others.
These days I ensure my return from overseas occurs prior to MoT expiration, my Insurer currently categorically demands this.
I'm sure they won't take offence at "plod" ;-).

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
No MOT means your car is not cleared to drive on roads as roadworthy vehicle so that means your insurance may be invalidated - other than driving to a garage for work/MOT. Some explicitly require it others don't - best to check yours first.

Not MOT does not invalided the minimum legal requirement that the insurance has to provide third party liability cover.

Claiming on your own fully comp policy with not mot might be hard.

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
When I was in the job 22 years ago & you renewed your MOT straight away, it was a warning letter in the post.
Fast forward to now with ANPR you are likely to get a fine in the post.
But as Blobcat states you can drive to a pre-arranged MOT, & the rules are very relaxed.
The decision is yours.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
a few years ago I ran around (locally) in my Smart for about 9 or 10 months with no MOT ..... complete over sight ..... no one came knocking!
I drove to France & back with no MOT about 6 or 7 yrs ago .... I realised the day before we were due to go away ..... again, no one came knocking

Not sure how good modern ANPR actually is

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
My wife didn’t have an MoT on her 107 for 6 months 2 years ago I only found out when she broke down and tried to get the RAC to recover her home. They called me and said because of no mot they can only recover to a garage. If she hadn’t broken down she probably still wouldn’t have one today.
I have magic wands on my hands you see not fingers.

Snake Charmer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S211 E320 CDI 2004
@Conor I aim for the 13 month Mot if possible and you are just before the 28 days to obtain that. If you have a regular place, take it within the 28 days, explain your dilemma and fix what fails then repair at leisure. ;)

Seeing the way you look after your cars l doubt you will have a problem.

Last edited:

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom