How to change a power steering reservoir

nesztler

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML400/2002/w163
Hi everyone,

I have a leak from the outlet of the power steering reservoir. This is probably due to a gasket. I think, I must change an O ring between the hose and the reservoir. This O-ring is certainly located on the steel part that we can see on the picture. For me we have a tube in front of the steel part (which is in the black hose) and in the rear of the steel part we have another tube which goes in the reservoir and the O-ring (0004661880 ?) on this tube.

index.php

I'm looking for an instruction manual or disassembly procedure to remove this reservoir.

For information : The Mercedes Company seems to sells the whole reservoir (1634660002) 274 € including the steel plate (see picture after) and the O-ring only 2.74 €

index.php

Can somebody help me ?
My question might seem a little silly but I would not want to damage anything especially by removing the two hoses fixed on the reservoir before removing this one. I don't know exactly how to remove the two hose and which tools to use.

My car is a ML400 (W163)
Year : 2002
ID : WDC1631281X760704

Regards

Last edited:

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
May be a good start to extract the oil from the reservoir first ,, so that when you remove the hoses ,,oil wont run out over the engine .Use lots of dusters ,,or rags to catch any spillage. Before you remove the 2 nuts holding the retaining plate ,it would be best to remove both of those hose clamps first ,, one is the outlet the one is return ,, once again you need to catch the oil from both of those 2 hoses . You will need a pair of special pliers to open the clamps ,,but a good pair of pipe grips will do the job to take the hoses off first. M,ay be a better way ,,but thats how i would tackle it . I see nothing to say it as an o ring nothing in the diagram --how do you know this?. I Would say that the right way is to remove both those hoses from under the car from the steering rack or box and to drain down from there .Then remove the whole rearvoir all in one .More help will come so keep looking in . So after you have done this it is time to fill the reservoir and bleed the system .Thisi s done with wheels off the floor turn left to right a few times keeping your eye on fliuid level in the reservoir. --- Most important---- if you dont know how to do this please entrust this repair to a qualified machanic .Its not hard job with the right tools,, and the steering is a vital part and must be 100% right ,no room for errors .If your car is worth take it to the garage.

OP
nesztler

nesztler

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML400/2002/w163
Hello Dreamer NO2
For answering to your question :
" I see nothing to say it as an o ring nothing in the diagram --how do you know this? ", have a look on this youtube video
You can see the same O-ring in other youtube videos. I think when Mercedes Company sells its part 1634660002 (Power steering reservoir) the gasket is already in the spare part. But if i can fix my leak without spending more money than the price of that O-ring, I'll do it !
When you watch more youtube video about reservoir leak you can see that most of Mercedes cars use the same type of reservoir. On my car you, a steel plate added.

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
Silly way to work small long nose pliers to finaly pull the c clip and he would have it in his hands , now who knows were it is .Thats why i said to remove the oil from the tank first ..Well now you know how to do it .

OP
nesztler

nesztler

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML400/2002/w163
Hi Dreamer NO2

I listened to you. I bought a special tool to squeeze the collar of the oil hoses. Here after what it looks like
Tool.jpg
Best regards

Attachments

• Tool.jpg
    Tool.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 2
OP
nesztler

nesztler

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML400/2002/w163
It's not a mb tool. I saw your tool too. But I rather took this one cause we must have some strength in the hand to move the collar throughout the oil hose. With this tool, I think it will be easier cause that stands alone.
For me, now the only difficulty is to remove the two hoses without damaging them because they are very short.

OP
nesztler

nesztler

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML400/2002/w163
I've just received that by mail :
Screenshot_9.jpg

Top Bottom