Hypothetical engine & transmission transplant?

Salforal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 E220
Ok, so here is today's stupid question from a non-mechanic.

Let's say I have a 3.2l CDi engine & 5-speed tiptronic from a facelift W210. The engine and transmission are sound, well-maintained and running sweetly. I'm left with them because the bodywork disintegrated (nothing hypothetical so far!!).

I love my engine and transmission so much that I would like to keep them and put them in another Benz. Other than a W210, what older series might I be able to drop them in to - W124, W201, W202? Or is it an impossible pipe dream unless I'm loaded? :rolleyes:

TIA, David.

prwales

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ge300, w124 300e, various VW's
If you had the older 3 litre turbo diesel om606 engine you could have put it into a g-wagen. There are lots of developments in this field at the moment. I think your problem though is the mating of an electronic engine management system with the instruments of much older vehicles, you must though save all the ecu's and wiring as well as the engine and transmission if you are to have any hope of success.

robparker

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220d (115), 190d (201), c63 (204), 220ce (124)
If you take it all down to barnstaple, it can go in anything you like, obviously not for free... but wouldnt be rediculous. PM me if interested and i'll pass you the contact details to discuss with the man himself.
As above though, you will need to save more than literally just the engine and box, else sourcing all the other bits you need to re-buy will cost you a fortune.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom