I am about to purchase a 300TD (not the turbo version)

Toby

Reaction score
I am in a fairly nervous condition, due to the immiment payment of nigh on 2K for a 300TD (1990) - anyone out there got any thoughts on this model - and by the way, does anyone know how to downshift the 4 speed automatic for passing, and about using the 3 dots on the speedo?
:!:

peterchurch

Reaction score
my friend has a K plate 300 its done 250K and has never had a thing go wrong apart from a pin dropping out the lock a few times in 10 years...
I must say that 2K sounds rich though...

Ramius

Reaction score
Hi there.

The "downshift" is the small clicking feeling under the throttle peddle when depressed. I have a 300te24. it will drop a gear when needed without full depression but for opening it all the way, drop the hammer, click the switch and the car will select the lowest gear available at your current speed.

2k....Well a really nice clean low millage (80k) TE petrol (dependant on spec) 1993 ish would be about 2k. I would ask is the car the right money for you?

Oh check the front wheel arches for rust too. They hold dirt in the edge and this causes rust to work from inside to out. Many that age have been treated or patched. Check its a good job if it has.

Ramius

Reaction score
Oh I ment to say. The dots on the clock are the max speeds for each gear I believe.

(I could be very wrong with that statement but Im sure someone will correct or confirm.)

OP
T

Toby

Reaction score
thanks guys - encouraging and also astute comments - i think the price is steep for the mileage, and notwithstanding the legendary longevity of the W124s :-( i am deciding against it (and will lose my deposit as a result) on the basis that it is not the turbo version and will be too sluggish - this was my concern re the throttle etc
So, many thanks again and may the road rise with you

T.

peterchurch

Reaction score
Toby said:
thanks guys - encouraging and also astute comments - i think the price is steep for the mileage, and notwithstanding the legendary longevity of the W124s :-( i am deciding against it (and will lose my deposit as a result) on the basis that it is not the turbo version and will be too sluggish - this was my concern re the throttle etc
So, many thanks again and may the road rise with you

T.

I have a 300e petrol saloon (its not the best engine in the world but it is still too fast for an 18 year old car IMO... and my friends 300 non turbo diesel is
a barge but will go quick once moving but the benifit is no turbo to go wrong

The big killer for these cars is rust if you can get a look under the carpets in the front check the pans are not full of water :)

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom