I might have been snagged by a red light camera :/

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 S212 350 CGI // 2004 R230 500
Title says it all really.

Was in the Clio earlier and as I approached the lights I got amber and then panicked and stopped a little after the white line.

I guess what happened was that there was nothing behind me and knowing the Clio will stop on just about a two-pence, I just pressed the breaks. Wasn't speeding or anything, just a weird combination of events and super paranoia I guess.

I am reading that it is an offence to be passed the white line when the light is read - it is black and white, simple. But what are the chances of them basically seeing that I was stopped and didn't just over run the light or whatever?

This sucks, because out of all "convictions" insurers must love this one :(

..... I know, I know, I should just wait and see if something comes next week.

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
There's a good chance nothing will come of this. If you didn't cross the intersection, you're not who they're looking for.

grahamcol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK230, 2007 CLK220 CDI
I sympathise Conor having been in a similar predicament. I was OK and never heard anything. I believe the camera takes a photo only after a delay of 3 (?) seconds. Therefore if you actually stopped within that time then l don't think it would flash, unless you actually saw it flash.
It's plain wrong having these devices and they lead to much unnecessary stress and anxiety. You stopped, that would be my defence but those ****** cameras show no mercy or reasoning.
Hope it goes OK for you.

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There's a good chance nothing will come of this. If you didn't cross the intersection, you're not who they're looking for.

I sympathise Conor having been in a similar predicament. I was OK and never heard anything. I believe the camera takes a photo only after a delay of 3 (?) seconds. Therefore if you actually stopped within that time then l don't think it would flash, unless you actually saw it flash.
It's plain wrong having these devices and they lead to much unnecessary stress and anxiety. You stopped, that would be my defence but those ****** cameras show no mercy or reasoning.
Hope it goes OK for you.

Thanks guys, hopefully common sense will prevail. I mean, I didn't even cross the full length of the white camera markings on the road.

Such an annoyance isn't it, let's just wait and see.

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
Title says it all really.

Was in the Clio earlier and as I approached the lights I got amber and then panicked and stopped a little after the white line.

I guess what happened was that there was nothing behind me and knowing the Clio will stop on just about a two-pence, I just pressed the breaks. Wasn't speeding or anything, just a weird combination of events and super paranoia I guess.

I am reading that it is an offence to be passed the white line when the light is read - it is black and white, simple. But what are the chances of them basically seeing that I was stopped and didn't just over run the light or whatever?

This sucks, because out of all "convictions" insurers must love this one :(

..... I know, I know, I should just wait and see if something comes next week.
You'll be absolutely fine the cameras detect motion through a trigger, the camera will only take a photo if the lights are on red and something passes over the trigger. The camera wil be aimed at the rear of the car when passing through. I looked into all this as I thought I was caught in Altrincham a while back in the van.

NJS5

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 R230 SL350, 2016 Discovery 4 Landmark, 1973 MG B GT V8, 1959 MGA roadster.
I too believe that you should be OK.

Good luck.

NJSS

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
Fingers Xd and good luck, Connor.
- With any luck they'll have flashed a real hooligan in the meantime :)

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
I wouldn't worry about that Conor, I would be very surprised if they persue that :rolleyes:

Altamar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 SL400
In a previous life I visited the centre where they process these for my area. A real life person reviewed the two images - when the car passes the sensor and then a second image a couple of seconds later.

They were only interested in cars which had continued through the junction and it took them seconds to decide not to issue a ticket where the car had stopped, even if it's over the white line. I sincerely hope the same process is still in place and you will be ok.

Let us know in a couple of weeks please.

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
In a previous life I visited the centre where they process these for my area. A real life person reviewed the two images - when the car passes the sensor and then a second image a couple of seconds later.

They were only interested in cars which had continued through the junction and it took them seconds to decide not to issue a ticket where the car had stopped, even if it's over the white line. I sincerely hope the same process is still in place and you will be ok.

Let us know in a couple of weeks please.
I retired from the police 20 years ago, that was also the general policy then.

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You guys are going to laugh out loud...but...

I went for a drive in the Clio this morning and I was so paranoid as I approach the local set of lights with a camera. As I approached I was so worried that the lights would go amber as I approached (I know..) that I didn't realise I was doing about 39 in a 30 zone and flash, flash, flash.

I mean, really!? That ****** Clio doesn't seem to go less than 40 without properly concentrating on your speed.

Oh well.

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400

I went for a drive in the Clio this morning and I was so paranoid as I approach the local set of lights with a camera. As I approached I was so worried that the lights would go amber as I approached (I know..) that I didn't realise I was doing about 39 in a 30 zone and flash, flash, flash.

I mean, really!? That ****** Clio doesn't seem to go less than 40 without properly concentrating on your speed.

Oh well.
Your a mad man who needs locking up for the safety of others o_Oo_Oo_O:D:D:D

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
There’s still a reasonable chance that you don’t hear anything on this one - for example, if it’s full. I’ve often read peeps saying they didn’t get a ticket in similar circumstances.

Fingers Double CROSSED!!

Good luck, Connor!

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Your a mad man who needs locking up for the safety of others o_Oo_Oo_O:D:D:D

LMAO I'm generally not bad.. Driving about 13 years and only got one ticket for crossing a mega slow-coach on the hatched area of a road, only to have an unmarked police car behind me.

There’s still a reasonable chance that you don’t hear anything on this one - for example, if it’s full. I’ve often read peeps saying they didn’t get a ticket in similar circumstances.

Fingers Double CROSSED!!

Good luck, Connor!

Yes, we shall see. I see that camera flashing all the time so hopefully it is full. The capacity one is interesting.. because that camera is always flashing for emergency services.

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0

Oh well.
Oh dear. That's what happens when you become slightly nervous about one aspect of driving though, you concentrate on that part and other aspects can get forgotten. Done it myself.

Top Bottom