I thought

Stulc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C180k
Driving big autos was supposed to relax you and be relaxing. Not with the E class it's not, it's nice yes but I'm not as relaxed as I probably should be and as others probably are, why is that.
I still find that idiots out there pi55 me off whereas being in a comfy auto out shouldn't.
I guess it's me though..

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Driving big autos was supposed to relax you and be relaxing. Not with the E class it's not, it's nice yes but I'm not as relaxed as I probably should be and as others probably are, why is that.
I still find that idiots out there pi55 me off whereas being in a comfy auto out shouldn't.
I guess it's me though..
If you haven’t join your local IAM and put yourself through the training and test. It’s well worth it.

I see it that I’m in the nice car and don’t need to rush or compete, I let just them go and enjoy my drive.

OP
S

Stulc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C180k
I don't see it as a "nice car" it's just something else to drive, i'd be be as well in something equally old and smaller

Why can't i edit or delete the first post and only this one

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I don't see it as a "nice car" it's just something else to drive, i'd be be as well in something equally old and smaller

Why can't i edit or delete the first post and only this one
Time limit set by the forum on editing

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Yes, I agree. A relaxed driving experience depends on the engine. In my experience, a big lazy 5 litre V8 with an auto box will relax you more than a 2 litre 4 cylinder diesel revving its nuts off.

The big V8 just cruises with little noise or effort, with buckets of torque and power there if you need it.

A small engine in a big car has to work a lot harder to keep up, with more noise, vibration, concentration and effort required.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Yes, I agree. A relaxed driving experience depends on the engine. In my experience, a big lazy 5 litre V8 with an auto box will relax you more than a 2 litre 4 cylinder diesel revving its nuts off.

The big V8 just cruises with little noise or effort, with buckets of torque and power there if you need it.

A small engine in a big car has to work a lot harder to keep up, with more noise, vibration, concentration and effort required.
^ couldn’t have put it better

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

It’s what I don’t get about the latest offerings small 4 pot with turbos on - great for emissions at government test settings - awful for longevity or cruising.
There is something fun about ragging a tiny engine on some fun roads, it’s not something you want day in day out as it’s just tiring after a very short time.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
I’d say it also very much depends on if you really enjoy driving, if you don’t that much then really it doesn’t matter what you drive you’ll still be annoyed by others and their poor driving

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
Firstly it’s ones mindset about how we deal with any given situation, secondly followed by the car.

I had an E350 and looked at a second but they were sadly too average for me as is the CLS. Capable of delivering you to the other end of the country relatively in good shape but, not the relentless sense of well being and quality. As a result I added an s class to the fleet and that serves its desired purpose well, as the family bus. It’s still got a lot of the crap plastics around the dash and console that everyone thinks are good but, they are genuinely average.

The old Volvo and S class really do add a proper sense of well being, where you can genuinely not be irritated by the world outside and other niggles that can add up to putting one in a lesser mood. You are always at peace, regardless of the conditions inside or outside, be it urban or motorway, slow or vmax, rush hour or 2am, on your own or having to sing wheels on bus go round for hours on end etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S

Stulc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C180k
It's probably me as I said, I like driving but the idiots are hellish. I'm not the best by a long shot but can open my ****** eyes.
When I said big auto yes meant the shell not engine.

Last edited:

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
I approach my driving in a very relaxed way. I’ve even started pulling over so Lewis Hamilton wannabes can roar past in their Corsas
I refuse to have my driving pleasure dictated to by the aggressive types, preferring to give any stress situation back to them by letting them whizz past/ cut in/etc.
I’ve even given up expecting people to indicate or position themselves correctly on the road.
drive how you like…it won’t affect me :cool:

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sold - 2021 CLA 35 Premium.
A relaxed driving experience depends on the engine. In my experience, a big lazy 5 litre V8 with an auto box will relax you more than a 2 litre 4 cylinder diesel revving its nuts off.
A modern 2 litre 4 cylinder petrol engine can be capable of significant power and torque, more than enough to make for a relaxing journey when desired.
I have never owned or driven a V8 and probably never will, but I would love to experience it. :)
The point I am making is that engine capacity today does not have the same correlation with power and torque that it traditionally had.

I have found that it is me as a driver that has become much more relaxed as I have got older. :D

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sold - 2021 CLA 35 Premium.
2 wheels are the best introduction to driving anybody can have - trust no one on the road is the mantra - it increases your observational skills by a factor of 10
Absolutely!
Riding fast motorbikes in my younger days definitely taught me to be much more observant on the road.

OP
S

Stulc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C180k
I wish I could be like that but then I think a lot of it is my personal life, I'm not happy or content and thought a big auto would help when I'm out at least but doesn't.

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
I wish I could be like that but then I think a lot of it is my personal life, I'm not happy or content and thought a big auto would help when I'm out at least but doesn't.
I hope you get over your own demons soon.
Just think of the ordinary citizen in Ukraine or Colombia, the rich people thrill seeking in a tiny submarine, those who might lose their house when interest rates rise again.

Try to find a bright side to everything.

A negative mind will never give you a positive life...

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
If ur not happy I doubt much will make u so.

OP
S

Stulc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C180k
I need to be happier and content in my life first before I can relax etc in other things. And that won't happen anytime soon.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom