Ice on inside of windscreen

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
We haven't used the A Class since Saturday and today is really cold, I think it was about -6c when Keith went to work. He obviously expected the outside of the car to be all iced up but was quite surprised to find there was ice on the inside of the windscreen too. Is this because we haven't used the car for a few days and it's so very cold or is there something wrong? As far as I know the seats and carpets are all dry, although we haven't made a point of having a good feel around as until today we hadn't realised there was a problem. We get the same thing with the Boxster but of course as that's a convertible we did expect to get that :confused:

nick73

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w209, CLK 280 Convertible
I had the same thing! I think it's simply because today it's the coldest it's been for a long time. My girlfriends C-Class was the same. Don't know about yours, but mine took AGES to defrost:(

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
As there has been no rain the air has dried now so little ice on the outside,,the inside of the screen will have some film on the glass from where people drive and often sit closer to the screen due to poor visibility when the outside was frozen

roofless

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 e220 estate
I never get it with my 124 but my wifes Honda has more on the inside than out even if I use it & run the air con it's still the same the next day :( I think it must be a blocked drain ???

Pontoneer

Banned
Reaction score
Not all that unusual in these temperatures - humidity in the warm air in the cabin ( from breathing ) can condense on cold external surfaces . Use of air-con drying function can help .

Incidentally , my OTG read - 12.5 when I went out to the car yesterday afternoon , AFTER the sun had been shining for several hours !

Mercfan99

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes CLK 220 CDI Auto
Experienced this the other day. Temperature was zero but, whole windscreen frozen up inside. Nothing damp left in car. Why of all cars would this happen. Door seals are good ? My 15 year old Honda didn't do this and come to think of it no other make has ?

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
We haven't used the A Class since Saturday and today is really cold, I think it was about -6c when Keith went to work. He obviously expected the outside of the car to be all iced up but was quite surprised to find there was ice on the inside of the windscreen too. Is this because we haven't used the car for a few days and it's so very cold or is there something wrong? As far as I know the seats and carpets are all dry, although we haven't made a point of having a good feel around as until today we hadn't realised there was a problem. We get the same thing with the Boxster but of course as that's a convertible we did expect to get that :confused:
This reminded me of waking up on winter mornings to find Jack Frost had been busy overnight on our bedroom windows, my brothers and I used to have competitions drawing patterns by scratching, rubbing and breathing on the internal frost covered windows in pre central heating days. I STILL don't have the central heating on in my upstairs rooms overnight unless I have family staying over which hasn't been so often recently and double glazing put paid to internal frost a long time ago.

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
How do they actually dig up these old threads ?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
How do they actually dig up these old threads ?
Google is their friend… The google spiders crawl through our old threads

OP
littlebrooklyn

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
After 12 years I'm guessing that the ice has melted...:rolleyes:
I'd actually forgotten even writing that thread, I'm sure if I go back through my old posts I won't remember many of them :eek:

Funny thing is yesterday, although we didn't have ice on the inside of the car, we did have tons of condensation and couldn't work out why as you don't expect that with modern cars do you. Turns out it was MY fault, no surprise there. I'd been dog walking in the rain and getting my coat wet and then sitting on a cushion in the car as I can't see over the steering wheel without one, so the cushion was being left in the car quite wet. Maybe if we had heated front seats it would help to dry the cushion out, might be time to upgrade the car ;)

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I'd actually forgotten even writing that thread, I'm sure if I go back through my old posts I won't remember many of them :eek:

Funny thing is yesterday, although we didn't have ice on the inside of the car, we did have tons of condensation and couldn't work out why as you don't expect that with modern cars do you. Turns out it was MY fault, no surprise there. I'd been dog walking in the rain and getting my coat wet and then sitting on a cushion in the car as I can't see over the steering wheel without one, so the cushion was being left in the car quite wet. Maybe if we had heated front seats it would help to dry the cushion out, might be time to upgrade the car ;)
Worth checking your rear foot wells aren't wet... They can leak through the vents behind the rear bumper - this makes it way to the rear foot wells

OP
littlebrooklyn

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
Worth checking your rear foot wells aren't wet... They can leak through the vents behind the rear bumper - this makes it way to the rear foot wells
I'll ask Keith to have a look :p

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200

littlebrooklyn is lucky they don't have an R230, there's enough ice to sink the Titanic.........:coffee:

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom