Ignition Switch Problem on 99' C200

Status
Not open for further replies.

C200 goblin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200, W202. 1998
Hey people, Im wondering if anyone knows anything about the ignition system on the C200. Its a S reg C200, with the thicker key unit with 3 buttons (I think DAS3)
The car has'nt been started in around 3 months since, late September 04. I went to use it last week and I cant get it started.
:(
I have checked the fuses in the bonnet and nothing blown. The worst thing is that its hard to find any electric wiring diagrams. Even in the Haynes manual. I cleaned the red lense on the key unit and the ignition and no success.
The main problem is putting the key in the ignition. It just doesnt make that sucking tick noise, nor is it turning to any position. The steering wheel lock is on and cannot be released. I checked voltage to the electric steering lock unit, which has 11.5 volts to all wires except the brown earth (would bridging any of the blue wires to release this cause a problem). The battery in the boot is at 11.5 volts also.
This ignition lock thing is such a pain, I mean you should be able to at least have been able to release the steering wheel!
Is there any way possible to get this thing working, or is there a relay for it. It seems strange for it to play up like this after not using it for a few months.
Any kinda help would be appreciated. Thanks

numbnuts

Banned
Reaction score
Is there enough power in the battery to release the steering lock.
There is a post on this forum about this lock do a search for i think it is wonda and you will see posts about this steering lock

OP
C200 goblin

C200 goblin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200, W202. 1998
Thanks for the help, I did charge the battery and use another, but no success. I even checked the voltage at the steering lock which was ok. The ignition system appears to be faulty in some way. did bridge the red & pink thick wires at the back of this which turns on all the electrics apart frpmt the starter motor etc. I guess its a new one at the dealers. :cry:

landover

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.landrovertd.com
C200 goblin said:
Thanks for the help, I did charge the battery and use another, but no success. I even checked the voltage at the steering lock which was ok. The ignition system appears to be faulty in some way. did bridge the red & pink thick wires at the back of this which turns on all the electrics apart frpmt the starter motor etc. I guess its a new one at the dealers. :cry:

Must be the ignition switch.Try a breakers for one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom