Important Covid-19 related product review: Race Glaze Anti-Bacterial & Viricidal Cleaner

Morethanpolish

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200 Kompressor
This is a review that was posted on Instagram and which the author has kindly allowed us to reproduce.
It is of particular relevance to valeters and detailers cleaning customer cars in this epidemic who wish to be safe themselves and provide a safe service to customers.

Race Glaze Anti-Bacterial & Viricidal Cleaner Review

Mike Pariera of Minutia Detailing, Croydon (Greater London) - May 2020 https://www.minutiadetailing.com/

Everyone may be wondering what this image means! It was a way I could successfully carry out some testing to determine if a surface contained ATP and therefore how clean the surface was. In today's detailing industry, one can simply register a company (some don’t even do that!) and set up a detailing company quite easily, with no major knowledge or experience.

When I set up Minutia Detailing it was after years of learning about paint in depth and working on my own cars. This gave me the experience and confidence to work on other cars. Like everything though, there is always more and more to learn too better yourself. I have had this device for a while now and it’s certainly great but also a pain for OCD, I ended up testing tap water vs. filtered water and all sorts! The reason for this post is, due to the current Covid 19 virus, I can see so many posts about cleaning interiors and steam cleaning etc that I wanted to actually test what methods work best. To understand how my device works:

ATP is the energy-containing molecule that is found in every living cell. Therefore, it is a useful indicator that contamination may exist on a surface or other part of the food supply chain, from irrigation water to farm to processor, transporter, handler, or retail market. But since all cells contain ATP, a positive reading in relative light units (RLU) will indicate any cell, and not just bacterial cells. Furthermore, not all bacterial cells cause disease. And viruses, which are not technically living cells, usually do not contain any ATP at all.

Nevertheless, ATP monitoring is valuable because it points to areas where bacteria (and, to a more limited degree, viruses) may lurk. After all, bacteria are cells, and areas that record very low RLUs have fewer cells and are far less likely to harbour pathogenic microorganisms

The device I am using comes pre-set with Pass and Fail limits of 10 and 30 respectively. Any score of 10 RLU or less is a Pass. Scores from 11 to 30 RLU are a Caution. Any score greater than 30 RLU is a Fail. Bear in mind this is a fail in the food preparation industry.

With an ATP monitoring system, (or sometimes referred to as - an ATP sanitation monitoring system), ATP is brought into contact with Hygiena's unique liquid-stable reagent in the test device. Light is then emitted in direct proportion to the amount of ATP present in the sample, providing information on the level of contamination in seconds.

Bear in mind before any tests on vehicles I have used this device copiously. An example of one test is when I started with a large sheet of plastic and using tape to sectioned it off. I could then do a before and after using the swabs on each section with different cleaners. Each section would certainly have a different level of contamination but at least a before and after on each section would give me an idea of how effective each cleaner was. I used plain water as a point of comparison too. With any chemistry test so many variables are considered. I kept the batch of swabs the same and the same temperature and timing once the sample was gathered.

The results I found are most cleaners don’t do much at all unless left for 4 minutes or longer, even with Dettol, a simple spray and wipe leaves behind a lot! Steam cleaning proves not effective unless it’s the first and hottest bit of steam that comes out of the nozzle,that would be impossible to hit every surface with that and most of the steam cools down a lot once the blast of steam disperses.

A car that was not cleaned by means of vacuuming and wiping was tested with an ozone machine and it proved only effective if left on for at least 30 minutes, it still was not perfect.

The investigations I conducted are almost too much to write but my conclusion is the best cleaner which has been around for years is Raceglaze Antibacterial spray. The photos show a test on the steering wheel, on a marked off section, the reading of 701 was taken. I then sprayed on the Race Glaze, counted to 5 and wiped it. It went straight down to 10, which is acceptable in hygiene testing in food places. Left on for 4 minutes, it then went down to 0.

My conclusion is, it takes a lot of cleaning to actually make all surfaces free of contamination. Bleach gets a 0 reading easily but we can’t use that on delicate interiors. A combination of using an ozone machine (the cheaper ones do nothing at all!) and using the Race Glaze cleaner with almost certainly keep things clean.

Hope this helps you guys.

Mike

A note on product costs from www.raceglaze.co.uk:

250ml £6.99, 500ml £10.99, 2.5L £45, 5L £80

Reproduced with kind permission of the author.

Attachments

• original reading 701.jpg
    original reading 701.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 8
  • sprayed on steering wheel.jpg
    sprayed on steering wheel.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 8
  • quick reading 10.jpg
    quick reading 10.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 7
  • test swabs.jpg
    test swabs.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 0 reading after.jpg
    0 reading after.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 7
  • product in hand.jpg
    product in hand.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 7

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
I am currently trying to find an anti bac cleaner/wipe that doesn’t make cars interior/paintwork to allow us to reduce the risk of returning to work. Thanks for posting.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
UV light would do a good job as long as it's strong enough Ian.

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks LK, I have got covers for seats, floor, steering wheel, wings etc, what I need is a non marking wipe/spray for Door handles, switches and gear levers etc. Any recommendations?

Last edited:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I would have thought a domestic antibac cleaner would work well.
We have the RaceGlaze one in article above and it seems ok but without test equipment how can you tell (so I guess the article is quite useful in that respect).
As far as Covid is concerned simple soaps are just as effective as the purpose is to break down the lipid envelope of the virus (lipid being a medical term for oily). A soap will break that down as effectively as anything.
UV as mentioned above also kills Covid-19 and most other viruses but medical grade ones are probably too expensive (hand held kit is £2500!) and you can't be anywhere near it unprotected.

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks, I have to make sure it doesn’t leave marks.

OP
Morethanpolish

Morethanpolish

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200 Kompressor
The point of the review, which tested about 15 products including Dettol, is that it does work and remarkably quickly, so dwell time on any surface is minimal, and as it is water based it can be left to work for less than a minute, do the job and be wiped dry.
So it wont stain fabrics, alcantara etc. You don't need to soak it, just a light mist.
So soaping any interior car parts isnt feasible either.
I think the UV machine is simply unworkable tbh.
This stuff is only £7 too !!

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom