info required ml

hopeful

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk cdi2.7 auto coupe 2005
looking to buy a 270 ml year 2000 to 2004 i know nothing about ml,s any input for faults would be helpful. ( had a pajero fantastic but rotted beyond worthrepair and a ranger rot )concerns are on some ive checked out ,are oil leaks , on the engine no one ever says where . gaerbox faults steering non starting , it will be used for towing a horsebox what should i be aware of or look for that has been hidden , im running a clk recently bought so still learning

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
The 2.7 is a good engine, injector bypass would be a concern on these. But in truth all MB diesels are prone to it.
Remove engine covers smell for the burnt diesel smell and listen for chuffing.
Inlet manifolds can gum up, and I've read of people blanking the inlet flaps before they disintegrate.
It's a bit agricultural but has enough power and is more economical than the later 3 litre, by maybe 1.5 / 2mpg.
Gearboxes are good, and generally very reliable. Ideally fluid should be replaced every 40k miles, with fileter ++, if it's a hi miler and hasn't had an auto service there might be higher risk

The biggest issue to my mind for a ML of that age is liklihood of rust. Later models had glavanised panels and better paint (nano paint what ever that is), but are not guaranteed rust free, just less likely.

You shouldn't be paying a lot so imo if it isn't rusty and drives well it should be worth a punt.

Ah, I see you're running the 2.7 already, that'll have the same auto box as well so you already know most of the ML.

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI,2016 Hyundai1.6 CRDI i30,2014 Peugeot 308 HDI. .6 HDI.
Get the best "Facelift" version (post 2002) you can afford, they seem to be a lot better than the early ones.. as above leaky injector seals can be a big problem if not caught early. Hardly any rust on mine but I have seen some suffer, although as its a body on frame truck its usually only a cosmetic issue, I may have been lucky with mine condition wise (no oil leaks) but I love it, cheap to run,easy to work on and engines are strong, they are great for towing.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
You might want to read up on Oigle's write ups. He's had his for as long as I remember and is knowledgable, he's towed over a lot of Aus' and has done a few things to his.

OP
hopeful

hopeful

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk cdi2.7 auto coupe 2005
You might want to read up on Oigle's write ups. He's had his for as long as I remember and is knowledgable, he's towed over a lot of Aus' and has done a few things to his.
where to on the forum

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom