Instrument Cluster Lights 2008 CLK W209 Not Working

redjules51

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 220cdi 2008
Car not been used for 2 weeks very cold but battery is only about 3 years old. Instrument cluster lights not working. Car runs perfectly and nearly everything else works well with exception that door mirrors no longer fold in when locked.

Checked fuse no 42 and replaced even though existing one was fine and still no difference. I think I read somewhere that you can reset by leaving the fuse out for 24 hours and it acts as a reset mechanism ?

Any ideas anyone, most grateful.

Mercmebaby

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Shammy1870!!
Car not been used for 2 weeks very cold but battery is only about 3 years old. Instrument cluster lights not working. Car runs perfectly and nearly everything else works well with exception that door mirrors no longer fold in when locked.

Checked fuse no 42 and replaced even though existing one was fine and still no difference. I think I read somewhere that you can reset by leaving the fuse out for 24 hours and it acts as a reset mechanism ?

Any ideas anyone, most grateful.

Not to insult your intelligence but have you mistakenly turned off the cluster lights with the turning knob that’s on the cluster also folding mirrors can be changed in the cluster menu I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
R

redjules51

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 220cdi 2008
Not to insult your intelligence but have you mistakenly turned off the cluster lights with the turning knob that’s on the cluster also folding mirrors can be changed in the cluster menu I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your reply. I have not changed anything at all.
I am aware the folding mirrors can be changed within the cluster menu although that is not really the main issue right now and I would have to be able to actually see the cluster menu to do so.
I think I may have to get the car on star for a diagnosis.

OP
R

redjules51

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 220cdi 2008
I have since had the instrument cluster repaired with a lifetime ownership warranty, apparently.

Just a note for others. Whilst the cluster is removed although the car is useable, a couple of functions do not work as normal.

Lights are always on when running and door mirrors don't fold in.

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
Just a note for others. Whilst the cluster is removed although the car is useable,
Very interesting.
How much was the cost of the repair to the cluster, and what was the faulty item..?

OP
R

redjules51

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 220cdi 2008
Very interesting.
How much was the cost of the repair to the cluster, and what was the faulty item..?
The actual cost to repair the cluster was about £250. I believe its called a ribbon cable and I decided to have it repaired to preserve the original mileage and have a lifetime warranty. It cost me slightly more because I had some one do it for me. A lot cheaper than a Mercedes replacement at around £1000 +

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom