Instrument cluster removal

cbdude1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI CLASSIC SE A/ 2002/ 2148cc
The "High Beam" indicator light has gone so I need to get the cluster out to replace it. Strange thing is It didnt go out straight away, it was intermittant fault for a while, now it's not working at all.
I read in the haynes manual, 2 special hooks are required. Could someone give me an idea what length these are, shouldn't be too hard to knock up a pair. I have read on some models the surround can be removed by pushing out from the rear, after having first removed the kick panel. I wonder if this can be done on my wdc203?
I assume the ones in the in the attachment are the correct ones, just need to know what length they are :confused:

Attachments

• MercedesHooks (Small).jpg
    MercedesHooks (Small).jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 22

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
They only need to go in about an inch or so, long enough to be able to hold and pull, short enough to get in without the steering wheel being in the way, 5-6 inches will do.

I've used 2mm stainless welding wire to make them up.

The cluster (on my cars) has rubber strips around its edges and they can stick quite firmly to the aperture in the dash, a bit of wiggle wobble and tugging might be required to get the cluster to shift. Mind you don't wrench the cluster out violently when tugging or the cluster and wiring etc may be damaged/strained when it pops out. Take care not to smash yourself in the face if one of your hooks comes adrift.

Have a search for this I'm sure there was a post with pictures.

Last edited:
OP
C

cbdude1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
They only need to go in about an inch or so, long enough to be able to hold and pull, short enough to get in without the steering wheel being in the way, 5-6 inches will do.

Ahh right, I thought maybe they had to release some sort of clip that was holding the surround. So infact I only need them to catch it, and give it a pull?

BAZZER1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320cdi AVANTGARDE SELECT
As Wireman said, these hooks can be bought on ebay to save having to make them and they are not that expensive to buy, always good to have these if you have to remove the Dash Cluster at any time.
Just need a firm pull evenly each side and the Dash Cluster will come out, don't forget to lower the Steering wheel level which makes it easier to remove Cluster.
Best regards
BAZZER1

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
If you have an old flat kitchen knife, just running this around the aperture can free it off as they can stick

Attachments

• DSC00222.JPG
    DSC00222.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC00221.JPG
    DSC00221.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 16

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
A wire coat hanger will do the same job. When you bend over the tips make sure the angle is more acute than 90 degrees...that way the hook will not slip off.

mej

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S124 1994 OM606, ditto OM605, ditto M111, W126, S211, W169
On RHD cars, with the knee protector panel under the steering wheel removed, you can push a hand up behind the cluster and push it out, which is most effective and kinder than pulling, but you do need both approaches and lots of jiggling.

OP
C

cbdude1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Got it. Brute force & ignorance. Thanks for the info. everyone.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom