Insurance Claims

redmilly7

Reaction score
Hi,
because this is a non merc thread i can post about my Alfa Romeo Spider and damage caused to it by another car.
The story, the car is on my driveway, not on the road, it has been SORND so no tax insurance etc. I have taken the engine out so it is still on axel stands. A neighbour parks her car approx 40 ft away and on a hill, somehow the handbrake came off and the car rolled into mine. nocked it off the stands, caused damage to bumper, brake discs, lamba probe, exhaust, drive shafts to name a few.

Now the insurance (other cars) sent an engineer out to view, he said £400. I went balistic, and they sent the alfa engineer out to inspect the car like i asked for at the start. I havnt had his quote yet, but it will be expensive.

Question???? the car is mine, and the insurance have mentioned writing it off... no chance its mine not theirs, they have no control over it because its not my insurance....where do i stand if the cost comes to more than the value of the car... I want my car back to its original condition, not scrapped. Any help would be appreciated thanks Ian.:confused:

OP
R

redmilly7

Reaction score
Nope, nothing yet....
the book price for the car would be low because of its age R/97 however the car is imaculate and they are like rockinghorse s...t to get hold of. the value of the car at this moment can be put at £2000 in its broken form to a person who knows the cars.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
I think you're entitled to be put back in the position you were in before the accident.
Have you got legal cover on your house insurance, or are you an AA etc member - might be worth taking advice from a solicitor.

OP
R

redmilly7

Reaction score
thanks for the advice, im in the AA ill give them a ring and see what i can find out. thank you.

OP
R

redmilly7

Reaction score
Spoke to the legal department at the AA, and they state that I have the right to be put back in the position where I was before, if the value of repairs outweighs the car value then I can accept a lower cash amount but still keep the car. Thanks for your help.:p

OP
R

redmilly7

Reaction score
Just to update you re the insurance claim...wait for it I asked for £600 to do the work myself to buy the parts....the insurance offered £400. The Alfa engineers quote is £3,850.... and the insurance are going to pay it as long as the value of my vehicle is more. I just dont understand..

Top Bottom