insurance exclusion

geoffd

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
56 plate SL 350 (sold)
No, not car insurance this time, but house and contents policy.

I've just had my renewal, and there is a short list of 'changes' - their word, not mine. The first of these states "The definition of contents has been amended to exclude vehicles' parts and accessories.

On checking the policy itself, under contents it used to say under exclusions "Vehicles and other means of transport that are mechanically propelled or assisted, whether licensed for road use or not or parts and accessories on or in any of them..." - the rest of the paragraph is about bikes and lawnmowers.

The new policy says under exclusions "Vehicles and other means of transport that are mechanically propelled or assisted, whether licensed for road use or not or their parts and accessories...". And again the rest is about bikes and lawnmowers.

So the "on or in them" bit has gone. I have queried this with the company, and they have confirmed that car parts and accessories stored in my garage are not covered. I specifically asked about spare sets of alloys or hardtops, and was told they were not covered - and further that in the event of loss, the vehicle policy should be used to make a claim. When I asked "if my vehicle policy was with you, would you honour such a claim", the answer was predictable...

I very much doubt whether my car policies cover bits and pieces other than model specific tools etc in my garage, and I also doubt that I can get separate cover for them at a sensible cost.

And when I asked for an explanation and justification of this change, I was told it was an underwriters decision and could not be altered. High handed or what ? I was also told that this was not a change - see wording above ! - but a clarification of the previous position. Yeah right !

Any comments ? Does anyone have a policy specifically *including* wheels and hardtops ?

I think this is an appalling change, but I can't see a way to challenge it.

Geoff

Last edited:

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
Challenge it with your feet - go somewhere else for cover

Some guy on the internet

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A few.
OP
G

geoffd

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
56 plate SL 350 (sold)
Don't fret. I intend to vote with my feet !

But...this change has been introduced for a reason - possibly because more of us are using winter tyres and keeping a spare set of desirable and saleable alloys in the garage. Or in my case, two sets.

And where one of these companies goes today, you can bet the rest aren't far behind. This is one of the big, well known insurance companies, not some back street unknown.

Geoff

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom