Insuring an E63 Biturbo

DaveE320CDI

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 E55 Kompressor
Sounds a bit cheesy name Rodger but i pay £226 for the E55 on limited mileage, with "Quote me happy", and
there owned by Aviva

OP
AMGeed

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Hmmm , Admiral and Quote me Happy are no good for me.

£723.52

£1320.22

This one is still the favourite

£494.82

This one is just for laughs

£11104.53

OP
AMGeed

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
And just to throw another car into the mix, I get the photos for this one this evening that I've been waiting for a week:cool:

https://www.safwatcars.co.uk/car/2630/

I like the car, the options, but there are a few issues.
The last MOT shows advisories for worn front pads and all 4 discs, a small oil leak and a damage (noticible stone chip?) to the screen. Its also got 18k more miles than the one I'm looking at tomorrow and a black interior.
All those advisories need to have been sorted before I even go look at it.

If the seller comes down sufficiently on his price its a possible, but not at the same price as a 28k miler.

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 250CDI Gone..!, R129 SL500 Gone...
I've always found it strange how insurance companys can quote so differently. You would expect a little variation but not the huge variants we all seem to get from the comparison sites - especially if you have a good driving record. I mean, you wouldn't expect a pint of milk to vary between under a pound and a few hundred quid...

OP
AMGeed

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
I've always found it strange how insurance companys can quote so differently. You would expect a little variation but not the huge variants we all seem to get from the comparison sites - especially if you have a good driving record. I mean, you wouldn't expect a pint of milk to vary between under a pound and a few hundred quid...

Insurance is a black art:D
I have had three different prices from the same source and from the same company since last night:shock:. Fortunately, its a company I won't touch (Hastings)

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Depends if they’re in the market for your business or not. If they are it’s a low price if they’re not then big money

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
And just to throw another car into the mix, I get the photos for this one this evening that I've been waiting for a week:cool:

https://www.safwatcars.co.uk/car/2630/

I like the car, the options, but there are a few issues.
The last MOT shows advisories for worn front pads and all 4 discs, a small oil leak and a damage (noticible stone chip?) to the screen. Its also got 18k more miles than the one I'm looking at tomorrow and a black interior.
All those advisories need to have been sorted before I even go look at it.

If the seller comes down sufficiently on his price its a possible, but not at the same price as a 28k miler.
Interesting - agreed price wise, have you talked about taking the 211 in p/ex? They seem to be able to move trades at decent prices - they gave me an astonishingly good price for my shed of a 230, and I calculated only 1.5k of that was hidden discount off the screen price of the 63 I bought from them.
Those discs look quite done in

OP
AMGeed

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
^ The white one is a non runner John. Too many miles.
But I have bought a different one.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Oooh

Pictures

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
^ The white one is a non runner John. Too many miles.
But I have bought a different one.
Did look high, seen what you bought on the other thread - congratulations ! All you need now is VBH in the passenger seat !

OP
AMGeed

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Arranged the insurance yesterday evening and it went up by £11 over 24hrs. Goes to show the closer you are to actually needing it, the dearer it is. Take note Dave, get it done as soon as you can find cover and price you are comfortable with.
I went with Axa in the end with protected NCD, Courtesy car, non insured guarantee, wife on the policy, windscreen cover and £500 total excess. £505 which I'm OK with.

I just remembered this morning that as it was so warm yesterday, I didn't try the heated seats. They had better be working.
I think I checked everything else.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
So I've found a car, put a refundable holding deposit on it and going to view it Saturday.
I'll post pics and an update if I decide this is the one.

I thought I would update the insurance quotes I found at the end of July when I first decided to change cars. Getting quotes from Money Supermarket on 26th July, LV came out head and shoulders the cheapest and for a stock 2014 E63 Biturbo I was quoted £420. This rose to £520 ish when adding a map, non oem alloys, lowering springs and an exhaust modification on the car I was going to view. I thought this all good value.

Fast forward to today and how times have changed. It may only be 7 weeks later, but LV are nowhere to be seen on Money Supermarket. I went onto LV's website, filled in the quotation folm and they threw out a figure of £550 without modifications:eek:
What happened? I got 7 weeks older and its an extra £130? I swear insurance is a huge fiddle.

Anyway, the cheapest quote came from everyone's favourite (not) Hastings Essential at £393 without windscreen cover:(. Hastings Direct was £429 inc windscreen cover.

I had the E55 insured at Hastings for 2 years but fortunately for me, never made any claim.
Now I won't touch them after reading countless poor reviews of them, and their other companies in other names (Peoples Choice and Insure pink to name two)

Also, John here isn't enamoured with Hastings either
https://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/index.php?threads/2004-e55-amg-for-sale-long-ad-split-into-2-posts.177334/#post-1745745

So scrolling down the evering more expensive list, I have settled on Axa as the most likely at £541 although as its so close to LV, I may go that route.

In the meantime, after Saturday, I'll know for sure whether this is the car for me and will visit A-Plan brokers to see if they can match or beat Axa with a decent company.
Having a car close to £30k is too much to risk with a company that messes about should the worst happen.

I've discounted Adrian Flux for reasons I wrote about long ago that didn't affect me but questioned their integrity. Aviva and Direct Line are both out for not being competitive.
Any I should try before next week?

Oh, the most expensive quote was £11,082 from BG Insurance whoever they are:rolleyes:

BG is me, if I get anyone daft enough to buy I run my yacht round to "Ladbrokes" to underwrite it .

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom