interesting, but how useful?

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
I am well aware that any sort of software is only as useful as the person using it. however, i have seen these recently and wondered which, if any, would be a reasonable buy?

I have a laptop i could use for the purpose and opinions would be welcomed from anyone in 'the know'

First theres this one,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111065419520?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

which I presume works on a laptop or similar, and communicates with the car with a lead like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/V1-5-ELM3...iagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item460eb4b118

I also found this which may be of use to those of you who have chinese STAR machines

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200927651090?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

now when i saw this, i began to wonder, what, exactly, does the multiplexer do on the official STAR machines? and is there any reason why the STAR software cant be installed and an ELM327 adaptor used to communicate with the car instead of a (comparitively) fairly expensive multiplexer?

Discuss!

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
The ELM will connect to just one data line, the engine ecu. The SDS Multiplexer will connect to all of the cars data lines to manage not only the engine, but gbox, body etc etc.

The ELM is a 1 to 1 interface, SDS is a 1 to many interface

OP
turbopete

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The ELM will connect to just one data line, the engine ecu. The SDS Multiplexer will connect to all of the cars data lines to manage not only the engine, but gbox, body etc etc.

The ELM is a 1 to 1 interface, SDS is a 1 to many interface

so, presumably theres no way of accessing the info with the STAR software without a multiplexer? or are there alternative cables that would connect the OBD2 socket to the laptop without needing the multiplexer, and therefore allowing easier storage etc? (im extremely limited as regards space)

the other software system claims to be able to access all systems, but im not sure how effective it is.

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nothing like a usb elm will ever read much more than engine ecu. There are similar systems to SDS but they cost just as much, Snap-on do one I believe

OP
turbopete

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nothing like a usb elm will ever read much more than engine ecu. There are similar systems to SDS but they cost just as much, Snap-on do one I believe

so presumably, all these software packages require some sort of bulky and relatively expensive multiplexer then? or are there other ways to do it? via different connections on the laptop or similar?

engine code reader would be useful, but whole car would be better. however im just struggling a little to get my head around the fact that a 16 pin plug in the OBD2 socket, connected to a laptop somehow, can only read a certain control module, when a multiplexer can access other modules, via the same socket! im aware i couldnt do it all at the same time, but surely the information is all available at the OBD2 socket, so surely it should be accessible? or am i barking completely up the wrong tree here?

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
On my car, I have to use the 38pin under the bonnet, or 16pin odb for just engine. I am not 100% sure of the connections to all systems via the 16pin odbII socket, and it could be that just newer models can be diagnosed via this method. I do know that the kit your looking at will not do all of the car.

OP
turbopete

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OP
turbopete

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
now it begins to make sense. i THINK!!! to access all the information, you need to get ALL the wires to be connected at BOTH ends and i can only assume that a USB connector (or bluetooth for that matter) cant cope with that number of information strands at once.

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
now it begins to make sense. i THINK!!! to access all the information, you need to get ALL the wires to be connected at BOTH ends and i can only assume that a USB connector (or bluetooth for that matter) cant cope with that number of information strands at once.

Its more a case of, The USB adapter will be wired to be compatible with the ODBII standard so will look for certain signals on the specified pins, if there is a signal on another pin then it will not see it.

RobWheatley

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 S320CDi Auto with Toys...
Just to throw a spanner in the works regarding USB, I have the PSA Lexia/Peugeot Planet diagnostics system (peugeot/citroen) its the same as the Full dealer syatems and that uses a multiplexer but connects to the laptop via a usb cable. That will do all the sytems at the same time, either via 38 pin or the 16 pin OBD.

I did wonder if it would work with "other" cars using different software but certainly with the Lexia/PP software it does look to see the multiplexer is connected before it will start.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom