Intermittant Fault, causing car to go to limp mode. E320 CDI.

Paul Simpson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 E320 Cdi Avantgarde Estate
I have an E320CDI Avantgarde Estate after I bought it it would accelerate up through 2 or three gears then drop down a gear and refuse to accelerate above about 2000 revs and hold the gear. I would pull over turn the engine off and restart and the car would then behave itself till the next time it happened.
i took it into my local garage and they changed a couple of sensors which seemed to cure it for a while but after a couple of months the poblem came back but more regularly.
On a reccomendation I took the car to a Local Taxi Firm who ran Mercedes only and had their own Garage, they diagnosed a fault with the Turbo actuator and fitted a replacement unit and changed another sensor.
The car has run perfectly for about 6 months but over the last 2 months it has done it again about 3 times, again if I restart the car it sorts itself out.
I am going to take it back to the Garage but wondered if any one else had a similar problem?

Paul

Larkone

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C219 CLS 320CDI 2008
As always it is nearly impossible to guess what the problem is without first reading the codes or live data. Put the year against your car as well as that helps.

OP
Paul Simpson

Paul Simpson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
As always it is nearly impossible to guess what the problem is without first reading the codes or live data. Put the year against your car as well as that helps.
Thanks Larkone, I think sometimes it is difficult to work out the fault with the codes.
The car is a 2007.

Larkone

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C219 CLS 320CDI 2008
The codes are a better starting method than just throwing parts at it unless you have deep pockets.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Thanks Larkone, I think sometimes it is difficult to work out the fault with the codes.
The car is a 2007.
You have 2 choices really , either buy an icarsoft MB2 code reader which is MB specific , you may get a second hand one at around £100 . Or go to an MB Indy and have the car put on MB Star diagnostics .
My MB2 has paid for itself numerous times in the 2 years I've had it .

OP
Paul Simpson

Paul Simpson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The codes are a better starting method than just throwing parts at it unless you have deep pockets.
Of course you are right, it's just that the car has been on diagnostics about 6 times now and each time something has come up and a part replaced and problem persists. I don't have deep pockets.

OP
Paul Simpson

Paul Simpson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You have 2 choices really , either buy an icarsoft MB2 code reader which is MB specific , you may get a second hand one at around £100 . Or go to an MB Indy and have the car put on MB Star diagnostics .
My MB2 has paid for itself numerous times in the 2 years I've had it .
I think a visit to MB Indy is in order, I don't trust myself with a code reader lol.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
get it on star, get mb codes go from there . you have already thrown cash at it. yr n the quicksand wid one hand on the bank at the moment.... . i am thinking intermittent speed sensor fault / oil in wiring ? .but, i DONT claim to be the best expert . no doubt someone will be along. wait a bit

Cooper645

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class C320 CDI 2009 OM642
Mine is currently suffering a lack of power, does yours suffer lower boost higher up the revs? Mine has splits in the hose that runs up from the inter cooler, front passenger side corner of engine. with the split pipe the car seems ok up to 40 then slightly sluggish to 70, and struggles for a 3 litre past 70.

Hoping replacement pipe should be the end of my troubles.

Also had some bogging air filters.

When was the last time you saw clean ones go in?

All well and good a garage saying they did, but in my case I got a garage to do engine oil and filter. When I came to next do it, I found they had used the wrong filter and it was just crushed in there, needless to say I have never recommended or revisited since.

markdenning

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
58reg.eclass 280 cdi sport
Mines has the same problems(2008 eclass).no warning lights on dash,just sluggish and no kickdown..fine when in manual,goes as normal..but in auto(Cmode).plugged the car in showed up fault code y22/1 turbo boost regulator.cleared the fault to it out worked great for abt 1minute then back to sluggish..been told i cant buy the regulator separate have to buy the whole turbois this right.I’ve only had the car since june..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob76

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S211 E280 CDI Sport
Mines has the same problems(2008 eclass).no warning lights on dash,just sluggish and no kickdown..fine when in manual,goes as normal..but in auto(Cmode).plugged the car in showed up fault code y22/1 turbo boost regulator.cleared the fault to it out worked great for abt 1minute then back to sluggish..been told i cant buy the regulator separate have to buy the whole turbois this right.I’ve only had the car since june..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The turbo actuator can be sent off for refurbishing though for a lot less - Try ACTronics

Top Bottom