1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intermittent indicator bulb "failure"

Discussion in 'Electrics, Vacuum, Ignition and ECU' started by tim091, Dec 5, 2012.

1. tim091

tim091 Active Member

Your Mercedes:
    CL500 2001
    Getting the fast ticking indicator and message saying "F R indicator failure, using substitute" from time to time. Sure enough when it is displayed it is using the foglamp as a substitute. But this is intermittent, and even when it is doing it if I lock or unlock the car the indicator bulb lights.

So I am thinking perhaps a relay problem? Anyone know which one and where it is? Or any other thoughts on the problem?

2. television

television Always remembered RIP

Your Mercedes:
    2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
    This one is not easy, I think it is all front SAM controlled, again it could be the lighting module. It may help with a STAR read out to see if anything is pin pointed.

3. mattuk

mattuk Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    c320/2001/3.2 v6
    Check that indicator. If is on wire, the wire might be broken,damp etc, if u have non wire check bulb holder connections, undo holder and check, if this is ok then probably relay problem

4. Alex Crow

Alex Crow Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
    You could try changing the bulb or bulb holder, but I suspect this is similar to the faults with w203 indicators.

I suggest you check the contacts on the bulb holder for signs or arcing and heat damage.

5. OP
    tim091

tim091 Active Member

Your Mercedes:
    CL500 2001
    Thanks folks. I didn't think it likely to be bulb/socket/wiring as it works fine when locking/unlocking even when it is not working when indicating. Seems more like a module/data error to me.

But I will of course be checking the basic electrical stuff this weekend!

6. television

television Always remembered RIP

Your Mercedes:
    2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
    The problem is that there is no programming for the SAM and the indicators, it is just there, or should be. there are no relays for this, as I said earlier a possible light control box fault, by all means clean up the holder as Alex says and do try another bulb, it could well solve it as bulbs do go out of spec, and the locking and flashing has no self check

7. OP
    tim091

tim091 Active Member

Your Mercedes:
    CL500 2001
    To follow up: I pulled the indicator bulb and all connections were pretty much like new. I gave them all a clean with contact cleaner and a bit of wet and dry paper anyway.

So far the issue has not returned, so maybe the control module is overly sensitive to resistance changes and the tiny bit of cleaning I did sorted it.