Intermittent indicator bulb "failure"

tim091

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2001
Getting the fast ticking indicator and message saying "F R indicator failure, using substitute" from time to time. Sure enough when it is displayed it is using the foglamp as a substitute. But this is intermittent, and even when it is doing it if I lock or unlock the car the indicator bulb lights.

So I am thinking perhaps a relay problem? Anyone know which one and where it is? Or any other thoughts on the problem?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
This one is not easy, I think it is all front SAM controlled, again it could be the lighting module. It may help with a STAR read out to see if anything is pin pointed.

mattuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c320/2001/3.2 v6
Check that indicator. If is on wire, the wire might be broken,damp etc, if u have non wire check bulb holder connections, undo holder and check, if this is ok then probably relay problem

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
You could try changing the bulb or bulb holder, but I suspect this is similar to the faults with w203 indicators.

I suggest you check the contacts on the bulb holder for signs or arcing and heat damage.

OP
T

tim091

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2001
Thanks folks. I didn't think it likely to be bulb/socket/wiring as it works fine when locking/unlocking even when it is not working when indicating. Seems more like a module/data error to me.

But I will of course be checking the basic electrical stuff this weekend!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The problem is that there is no programming for the SAM and the indicators, it is just there, or should be. there are no relays for this, as I said earlier a possible light control box fault, by all means clean up the holder as Alex says and do try another bulb, it could well solve it as bulbs do go out of spec, and the locking and flashing has no self check

OP
T

tim091

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2001
To follow up: I pulled the indicator bulb and all connections were pretty much like new. I gave them all a clean with contact cleaner and a bit of wet and dry paper anyway.

So far the issue has not returned, so maybe the control module is overly sensitive to resistance changes and the tiny bit of cleaning I did sorted it.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom