Intro, with a request for info(W114 250)

milo

New Registration
Reaction score
No, the title wasn't meant to rhyme... :-D

Hi everyone. I fell in love with MBs about 8 years ago when a housemate bought one(a '68 280 saloon), and I got to drive it reasonably often. I'm new to MB ownership however, having just bought my first about two and a half weeks ago. It's just an old W114 250 saloon from 1975, but I love it just the same.

Which brings me to my request for info. So far I've tried the state library(they have a large range of technical manuals), the technical manual bookshop in my area, and online searches with no luck, so I'm beginning to think that the '75 250 saloon was an Australia-only model since I believe MBs were built in Australia for a number of years. It has a 2.8litre SOHC, according to Repco(a spare parts supplier here in Oz), whereas the only similarly-aged reference to 250s I can find online or at the library have a 2.5litre and were built only until 1972 or '73.

My main questions are these: Does anybody know whether this model was sold in other parts of the world? If yes, does anyone know where I can get hold of a workshop manual(I've tried this site's bookshop) and/or owner's manual? This and any other info on this model would be most welcome and appreciated.

paulcallender

Banned
Reaction score
A 250 having a 2.8 litre engine isn't an anomoly - its just the way they were badged in USA (and I guess Australia too). Being a 1975 model, with a single overhead cam (not the twin overhead cam of the 110 motor) is a bit of an anomoly though. Does your engine number start with 110, or 130 or 114??

www.mbz.org is a useful guide, you will be able to work out which engine your car should have, and which car your engine came from. Its entirely possible that somebody fitted an earlier (pre 1972) 2.8l motor to your 1975 car, the engines last a long time but not for ever!

There is no Haynes manual for this model, but there is a reasonably close match with the one for the W123 model 250 and 280 (code 677). I think its on classic reprint though.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom