iPod interface

Timechaser

Reaction score
Loads of online shops selling the ipod interface - allowing you to see songs etc. on the COMAND system! However, all say that this will replace the CD Changer. Is there any company which does an ipod connector which doesnt remove the CD changer?

OP
Timechaser

Timechaser

Reaction score
Huh!!! HOw does it do that?? This is the official 6-CD changer fitted by MB!!! How the hell do I get it to play MP3s? Is there a hack or a mod to the COMAND system involved or is this out of the box functionality?

OP
Timechaser

Timechaser

Reaction score
Effing hell!!! You just made my day!!!

I dont want/need the ipod interface any longer!!!

Mmmm smooth sound! BTW - another question on this front, the car has a COMAND system - does that mean it will have the 20 Audio system or 50?

Whatever it is though, it sounds really sweet!!! And this is from someone whose current car has a BOSE system in it! One thing I can tell y'awl - that BOSE is absolutely pants! Should stand for Better Off with Something Else.

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
A150 manual, smart forTwo, W205 AMG line premium plus.
Loads of online shops selling the ipod interface - allowing you to see songs etc. on the COMAND system! However, all say that this will replace the CD Changer. Is there any company which does an ipod connector which doesnt remove the CD changer?

The official MB IPOD kit does not make the CD changer redundant. It interface to the back of the comand and does not touch the fibre bus. Indeed you can have IPOD connectivity and CD changer co-existing. However, you will not see the song titles or be able to control the IPOD from the COMAND or Audio 20. You will be able to see the tracks in the cluster and control the ipod from the steering wheel though.

Fitting the IPOD connecter is easy and takes about an hour. The parts cost ~£175 all in. I am fitting one to a W203 with COMAND, this weekend.

OP
Timechaser

Timechaser

Reaction score
But if the CD Changer is MP3 compatible - that kind of takes away the whole fun? I know you can skip tracks faster etc. on the ipod, but...

anywhoo! £37K going out of the bank right now so the wife is touchy about even a £175 ipod connector.

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Effing hell!!! You just made my day!!!

I dont want/need the ipod interface any longer!!!

Mmmm smooth sound! BTW - another question on this front, the car has a COMAND system - does that mean it will have the 20 Audio system or 50?
Do be aware that there are no track names on from the cd changer - just "Track 45" - at least on the Audio 20 - can't comment on the command.
I have 130 tracks on each CD and it works a treat.
The command is a unit in it's own right and better than the Audio20/50. It is the full DVD based sat nav unit (£2000 worth!). It will also play dvds!

OP
Timechaser

Timechaser

Reaction score
It will also play dvds!

NO WAY!!! You have to be joking there!!! Although I see the point of it being able to play DVDs like the mapping software DVD it loads!!!

Again - any hacks/mods required?

My dealer is not ready to lower the price so I have asked him for a sweetener in the form of a wind deflector and/or the ipod connector! Dont know what he will give me - IF he will give anything!

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Do be aware that there are no track names on from the cd changer - just "Track 45" - at least on the Audio 20 - can't comment on the command.
I have 130 tracks on each CD and it works a treat.
The command is a unit in it's own right and better than the Audio20/50. It is the full DVD based sat nav unit (£2000 worth!). It will also play dvds!

Comand in a W203 C class or W209 CLK will not play DVD movies at all.

OP
Timechaser

Timechaser

Reaction score
I will confirm that next weekend :) Whether the 06 CLK plays DVDs or not...

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
on an 06?
I thought the command unit was the same across the range now? - certainly looks the same. Is this not the case?

The COMAND systems do LOOK the same but they are not.

The units fitted to the S class, E class and CLS class have a separate audio gateway in the boot and these can be made to play DVD movies. the units fitted to the A/B/C/ML cars will NOT play DVD's. The W209 CLK can have a TV tuner specified but not the W203 C class.

This is stated in the sales brochure.

The only units that can be shared between cars are the A/B class units as they are the same part number. The W203 C class and W209 CLK class are differents. the mountings are different and the fascia is slightly different in shape. A very common mistake made by some people who by W203 COMAND APS unit on ebay hoping to fit it into their CLK! It doesnt fit!

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom