Is white a show off colour on a car.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Chatting to someone the weekend about colour choices for cars. He said that white is a “look at me" colour.

My current car is white. My wife’s car is silver.

IMO:
White is “simply the best"
Silver is follow the herd / reps car
Black is just pointless / limousine or taxi on bigger cars
Putty grey is ugly
Green is unlucky
Most other colours are fine (red, blues etc) I do like the metallic red on Mazda’s.
All the very bright colours, Dakar Yellow, Lime Green, Purple etc are show off but are appropriate on certain cars. e.g. I’d be happy with a Dakar Yellow Lambo.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
It cleans up well and looks good . Who cares what other people think of it ? Buy on condition and price rather than colour is my usual plan

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
not sure that I could have a brown car…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I had a brown BMW - sound much worse than it was - the colour "Jatoba" was the best thing about the car...:rolleyes:
It was also the first 5 series in that colour in the UK... I'd picked it off a colour sample so bit of a leap of faith at the time

richlumb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC 350d
Isn’t “white“ drugs dealers choice of colour these days on their mercs

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP

daibevan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C200 Kompressor Elegance SE 2006 Tanzanite Blue with cream interior
I liked the colour on our Vauxhall 101 after my dad & I fixed it up after getting it back from the insurers following a shunt. Mostly white, blue drivers door, red bonnet, black drivers wing., etc..
Not worth the cost of a respray, but we ran it for years.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Nardo Grey (primer) , seems to be the colour of choice around here.

K
That awful Grey is growing in popularity around here as well. When that colour gets 4 or 5 years under it’s belt and the gloss has dulled that is going to be a hard colour to sell on. It looks ‘orrible now when new !

Different colours suit different cars. I probably wouldn’t pick white personally albeit despite what people think it’s a colour that doesn’t show the dirt like darker colour’s do. Silver falls into the same category.

I have had a few black cars but not out of choice, it’s always been by default because the condition of the car has always been a priority with me.

Out of choice I would go for a metallic blue. My current car is probably a bit darker than I would have liked but it does look lovely in the sunlight

PaulG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E-Class W211 E240 Elegance
It's really a decision that only you can make. What is a good car colour for me is not necessarily the same for you. If you are buying a car and it is the right price and you have happy with the condition of it then the choice should be yours.

Phillip Butler

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 350D Shooting brake
White is the only free colour on many models, hence the popularity. Looks nice clean, but too easy to get dirty. :(

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
That awful Grey is growing in popularity around here as well. When that colour gets 4 or 5 years under it’s belt and the gloss has dulled that is going to be a hard colour to sell on. It looks ‘orrible now when new !

Different colours suit different cars. I probably wouldn’t pick white personally albeit despite what people think it’s a colour that doesn’t show the dirt like darker colour’s do. Silver falls into the same category.

I have had a few black cars but not out of choice, it’s always been by default because the condition of the car has always been a priority with me.

Out of choice I would go for a metallic blue. My current car is probably a bit darker than I would have liked but it does look lovely in the sunlight
Very much the same here, although I’ve never yet found a metallic blue car when I’ve been looking. I do want one though!

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
White is the only free colour on many models, hence the popularity. Looks nice clean, but too easy to get dirty. :(
Funny story here. When the last Qashqai was launched (2013) Nissan had done loads of market studies and determined that solid dark red was the bog spec colour du jour for the European market, that 40% of sales would be in this and so set its supply chain & stocks accordingly.

It turned out that the apparently unimportant premium +£500 option Pearlescent White was the one that customers chose from the get-go, the one that needed two colour coats for adequate opacity and depth, cost 4x the solid red as a result and bollixed everyone up…

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom