J D Powers poor review on 04 SL 500?

Status
Not open for further replies.

springer

Reaction score
I am new to to group so I don't know if this topic has come up in the past, but I have just placed an order for an 05 SL 500. After doing so I happened to log on to JD Powers sight and was rather shocked to see what I would call a rather poor rating on the car. I still have my 72 450 SL which I have been extremely happy with. We also have a 04 CLK Cab that was in the shop for 6 weeks to fix the top. A major problem getting parts out of Europe and getting the correct parts. My concern is, is MB no longer the car it once was I don't want to make a $100,000 mistake

Arnie

Reaction score
see this other thread and read the Top-Gear story:

http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=6777

The new SL is a very fine and extremely desirable car. It is however packed with all the latest technology, and that's where part of the problem lies. MB used to be more conservative, only introducing new things, once fully tried and tested ("don't be the first- be the best.."), but this car has it all, before any one else (dual voltage/battery system, electronically operated brakes, active suspension, clever (too clever) roof mechanism, 7-speed gearbox...)

So, there are bound to be niggles and teething troubles and this is what's happened, with many cars being recalled for brakes, and some having problems with roofs and other electronics.

The other side, regarding build-quality, is a major improvement over the MB cars of the last 8-10 years, but the materials are not quite up to the standard of even the last 129 SL and there is evidence of cost-cutting (plastic sills, rather than stainless steel etc). Most of this is no-doubt with the excuse of recyclability, but it is an obvious downgrade, that should not be seen in a car at this price.

It may not be the best, and it may not be 100% reliable, but really there's not much else like it for the money....

OlafMaxwell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E320 CDI Estate
I must admit I would go for the Jaguar XKR convertible. I have had use of one for a while and there is no comparison with any Merc. The dealerships really value you. They see you as driving their flagship car, treat it like its your pride and joy, they value you and its got more exclusivity and class than the Merc could ever have. The perception is very different too, drive the Jaguar and you are perceived as a person who really loves their cars, drive the Merc and you are merely seen as having a fat wallet. A test drive will convince, its the best motor you could possibly imagine. The Mercs are having serious problems, more than are being admitted to.

If that does not do it, go back to the Power survey, look at Top Gear or follow the threads in msn.com. From experience I and many others will tell you the Power survey is understated.

If you still want the Merc I would keep the 72 one!! Its going to be more reliable than a new one.

OP
S

springer

Reaction score
Reply to Arnie and OlafMaxwel

Thanks for the reply Arnie:

I appreciate you well thought opinion.

Thank You OlafMaxwel for your reply.

I must say I have quite a different position on both the car and my dealer.
As to my dealer. I have been going to my dealer on and off for around 30 years. My experience with the way they handled the problem with the CLK Cab was so good, that is why I ordered my 05 SL 500. After 3 weeks of no resolution on the CLK, because of parts coming from Germany. When I asked for a loaner. They gave me an 04 SL500 with 900 miles on it. I gave it back to them with an additional 500 miles. That kind of service sealed the deal. Several years earlier I was toying with the idea of a new SL. I pulled up on My Harley. Talked with a salesperson I did not know. He handed me the keys and said take it for a spin. I asked him did he at least want may name, keys to my Harley, my cell number, his answer no-enjoy

As far as the Jag goes I looked at it as well. My experience with the jag dealer was 180 degrees out. The Jag is a long toothed cat, a big change is needed. One of my friends with a S Cab. Jag got to enjoy a weenie roast as his new car burned to the ground. A camp fire would have been somewhat less expensive. When it comes to Image its a non issue. It takes a fat wallet in either case. One of my other cars is an 04 Prius. I have never let others opinions on who or what I am be of any concern.

Even tough I totally disagree with every thing you said, thank you for your response.

guydewdney

Reaction score
Website
www.atct.co.uk
consider this:-
man buys 5,000 pound daewoo nexia (for arguments sake) - no air con, no power steering, no electric toys - nothing goes wrong. car is so basic man is happy with purchace.

man buys 100k merc - electric everything (as above) and side window squeeks slightly - he takes it back and shouts at dealer (who himself drives said nexia, and thinks merc owner is a stuck up toff) - who cant be bothered to fix it properly, and bodges it...

OP
S

springer

Reaction score
This is one man who would never consider buying the Daewoo Nexia. I've worked to hard in my life to put up with the absolute minimum life has to offer. You may know something I don't. This present life is not a dress rehearsal. I'm assuming this is it and I haven't figured out a way to take it with me to the next.

I find your analogy some what absurd. Going in to the dealer with a chip on your shoulder will generally get you the same response. But tell me when the engine blows up, the car wont drive in a straight line and the muffler falls off, I'm sure that Daewoo Nexia dealer will give you a skateboard or a bus token.

One thing I have noticed in observing this group, there is a huge amount of angst towards the dealers in the UK. and elsewhere out side the U.S. I have never seen this in U.S. owners as I do across this sight. Am I misreading this? Why the hostility?

guydewdney

Reaction score
Website
www.atct.co.uk
sorry - i wasnt implying you should buy a nexia - i was trying to point out the flaw in the jd power survey...

the man who spends 5k on a nexia is happy with his lot - even if it squeeks a bit - it is to be expected with a 5k car.

the man who spends 100k is not going to be happy with a squeek and will complain.

thus - the survey will show up 1000 errors / complaints / faults with the 100k car and only 10 with the 5k car (per 5000 sold for arguments sake). the 100k man feels 'more' justified in complaining (we are not a race of complainers in the UK) and will do so. The 5k man wont generally bother.

The UK dealers are apalling im afraid. snooty, aloof, uncaring once car is sold, parts dept ignorant / unhelpful (quite often i have to provide part numbers from my 'stolen' US electronics parts catalogue as the uk dealers wont / cant be bothered to find out) - i hope you have better success with your US dealer - but this being a UK site is probably more orientated to the UK side (not telling you to go away - far from it - but you might find out from US sites if your personal dealer is a 'good 'un' or a bad one

try benzworld for example (www.mbnz.org) or mbworld.org

OP
S

springer

Reaction score
I Understand Now

If I were to be treated like that, no mater what car I wanted, They could burn in Hell first.

I just don't understand how dealers like you describe, especially in that high of a price range can survive, with such a lack of customer service. I have never experienced that type of distain on any of my car purchases.

At my dealership the service manager gave me his private cell phone number. When I asked for a loner he offered to meet me at the dealership or bring a car to me at my home on a Sunday, when I arrived back in town.

The dealer knows I'm not there typical customer, these purchases are major events for my wife and I. The CLK is a 50th birthday present to my wife to replace her 10 year old Volvo. The SL is a 60th birthday present from my wife to me. Obviously we know who treats who better in this union, I am a lucky man. The dealer knows we will probably be buried in these cars.

My wife and I lived in Richmond upon Thames at the Richmond Bridge for about 6 months. It was truly a great experience as I found the people would go out of there way to offer help or assistance at every opportunity. I would have thought the buying experience there would be even better than in the States.

Thanks again for your reply. Happy motoring.

georgev

New Registration
Reaction score
MB tends to have a reliability problems

I am an owner of 1994 C220. The car is a most unreliable piece of German metal I have ever owned. OK so it is the lowest priced MB so I accept some shortfalls, or should I? Two of my co-workers own 2000 SL-500 and 430 coupe. The computer replacement on the 500 was very expensive and the Mass Air sensors on both (c220 and 430) are being replaced with every 4th oil change. I thought I was the unlucky one, but search on the net indicates that this is the major problem with Bosch system that MB employs. It is also the major cash cow for the MB and Bosch. While I read so many posters? messages how to fix this and that, I fail to see anyone taking the bull by the horn and starting a class action suit against the makers of this extortion tool. A sensor not worth more that 35.00 bucks is sold for up to 800.00? Will anyone out there wake up and say enough is enough. I have taken one apart at my dealers place and it does not weigh more than an ounce. Now that makes is worth double the ounce of gold.
What is worse is the fact that manufacturer is aware of the problem and continues to profit from it, holding us hostages. I am positive that those stickers on the new MB cars in dealer?s showrooms do not list an 800.00-dollar sensor expense every time the car hits 40,000 miles!

My previous MB was a 450 sedan, a classic car with unblemished service record. That is not so any more, in a circle of friends, the MB is the worst rated vehicle by far! Certainly a last one for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom