jkl Joseph Lewis

joseph lewis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e class 220 cdi 2001
I need the tappets adjusting on my e 220 cdi has any members of our forum had this job done at all.My car is the 2001 model if anyone has I would appreciate any feed back;price etc.if done by MB or indie.Im getting a sound like a sewing machine when I put my toe down it qietens down when warmed up. Its getting on my titties I suppose Im a fussy old fart but its my pride and joy and I want it right im sure you Merc lovers know what I mean.Excuse the spelling.:Oops:

rpe2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
His: 2018 E220 d; Hers: 2016 SMAX
The tappets are hydraulic so no adjustment.

Would check to see if the rubber boot that the steering column goes through in the bulkhead has perished as this can result in addl noise in the cabin.

p.s. Can I make a suggestion, when you start a new post, in the title box, please put the nature of the problem rather than your name, you may find that you get more people reading your thread this way.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
The 220 cdi is tappety when cold, this is nature of the beast, more attributed to diesel knock than loose tappets...you could try some diesel additive and then the usual two stroke additive as some people swear by it..

C

ched999uk

The other thing that could be adding to the issue is either old oil or poor quality oil. Poor quality oil will break down and may cause your tappets to tap a little.
An oil change with the correct spec of oil might help.

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
As above - could just need an oil change or else its just the cold. Mine's like an old tractor for the first 2 minutes or so. Purrs after 5 though.
If you've never used it, I'd strongly recommend a few shots of Millers Additive. It does make the engine smoother and quieter and if its never had any, on a 2001 it would certainly benefit from an internal clean-up. Claims are made around improved MPG which is cobblers but the benefits to the injectors (possibly the cause of the clatter), the turbo mechanism and the cylinders is worth far more than the tenner it costs.

OP
J

joseph lewis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e class 220 cdi 2001
Thanks for info ive just had b service also im on my second dose of millers additive. I am a bit finnicky always listening for rattles and squeeks the wife says im a pain in the botty. Jkl'

C

ched999uk

I assume that it was a decent garage that did the service and they used the correct oil?
Has it always ticked or is it just recent?

OP
J

joseph lewis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e class 220 cdi 2001
Yes local mb stealer ;it has seemed to be louder;i always nurse the car im not a toe down merchant.when i do it disapears;if i have to accelerate it is audible fOR instance i drove up winnats pass tues ;very steep and it was noticable.maybe ill have to live with it.jkl.

Hi Flyer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E270 CDi Avantgarde Estate (04/04)
Millers or Forte - any difference between them?

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Millers or Forte - any difference between them?

Probably not. Some products are 'one shot'. Personally I prefer something I can use over a longer period. Last summer I bought a 5l can of Millers from Opie Oils (using the forum discount offer). Aside from the fact that I no longer have to visit Halfrauds every month or so, it's less than half the price. The only problem is dispensing it from the 5l can, but a plastic tube attached to a horse syringe sorted that and I justrefil my retail bottle every now and then.
This is the first tankful I've run without any for a while and actually she feels to be running better - so possibly I've been over doing it, if thats possible. I guess if everything is clean and shiny in there which it must be by now, I can leave alone for a while and let the carbon build up a bit.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom