Just tried out the CTEK CT5 STOP START FOR AGM Batteries

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Well I tried it out, and was pleased to see it doesnt have the harmful 15.8V Desulphation program on the initial check, and of course it doesnt have the harmful (to AGM Batteries) 15.8V Reconditioning cylcle.

It did the initial check cycle at 12.7V to 12.8V, and then worked up to 13.1V at 3.67A within 20 mins.

So I am pleased that CTEK technical were right, that this new baby doesnt have the 15.8V cycle. And yes its now the recommended charger for AGM and Start Stop Mercedes.

No nasty 15.8V pulses.

Seems CTEK have unofficially accepted what Varta Technical say, namely that the high 15.8V desulphation cycle is definitely not good for the longevity of AGM batteries. Shaking off the Suphation dont work with glass Matt batteries as there is no where for the loosened suphate to go, and causes negative performance in the long run.

Hmmmm wonder what they will say to all the exisiting customers who bought most of the range, many of which specifically say they were for AGM batteries.
I would want my money back or a swop out :-/

All tested with the new Fluke 325 so should be pretty accurate.

The only downside is its £12 more thsn say the popular MXS 5, but considering the cost of the big AGM batteries in my case With a new Brexit price of £170 [as opposed to the pre brexit price od £148] worth paying for.
Not to mention I always wondered how the Mercedes 12V electronic units got on with 15.8V :-/

I kinda like the max Voltage of this unit, of 14.55V at 3.8A . Only because the max voltage is more in line with my Alternators output of 14.5- 14.7V.

And for the sceptics the original MB OEMed CTEK CHARGER did not have the 15.8V cycle , surprise! surprise!

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I am loaded with chargers, I use the Lydols version at £15 and for the last 2 years they do a perfect job, the Ctec are very expensive for all they are.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
I guess the slight downside will be a longer charge time, and yes Malcolm the price.

Last edited:
OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
I am loaded with chargers, I use the Lydols version at £15 and for the last 2 years they do a perfect job, the Ctec are very expensive for all they are.

I had heard they are virtually the same.
But not being technically savvy, I would want a brand name where chargers are there focus just in case it all went beserk and burnt out the cars electrics.

Sure its highly unlikely but I would rather pay for the peace of mind. But at £70.60 it really irks me.
However the Accumate lasted 20 years (and still works fine) so this one should do forever.

Just trying to work out, how to shut the bonnet, either by extending the flyleads so the charger can go in the cabin. Or work out a way to secure it sitting beside the air intake tube.
Not so easy with a frameless window, as the rubber seal by the mirror triangle is pretty thin. Or go in on the door section.
The SL 500 went in the boot easily lots of soft thick rubber seal to cushion the flat mains cable.
I think it will need to go in the engine bay, as there is not enough room around the battery compartment, and oddly the engine bay seems to stay dryer.
Water does seem to spray around the windscreen side of the first compartment if it rains heavily.

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
Well I tried it out, and was pleased to see it doesnt have the harmful 15.8V Desulphation program on the initial check, and of course it doesnt have the harmful (to AGM Batteries) 15.8V Reconditioning cylcle.

It did the initial check cycle at 12.7V to 12.8V, and then worked up to 13.1V at 3.67A within 20 mins.

So I am pleased that CTEK technical were right, that this new baby doesnt have the 15.8V cycle. And yes its now the recommended charger for AGM and Start Stop Mercedes.

No nasty 15.8V pulses.

Seems CTEK have unofficially accepted what Varta Technical say, namely that the high 15.8V desulphation cycle is definitely not good for the longevity of AGM batteries. Shaking off the Suphation dont work with glass Matt batteries as there is no where for the loosened suphate to go, and causes negative performance in the long run.

Hmmmm wonder what they will say to all the exisiting customers who bought most of the range, many of which specifically say they were for AGM batteries.
I would want my money back or a swop out :-/

All tested with the new Fluke 325 so should be pretty accurate.

The only downside is its £12 more thsn say the popular MXS 5, but considering the cost of the big AGM batteries in my case With a new Brexit price of £170 [as opposed to the pre brexit price od £148] worth paying for.
Not to mention I always wondered how the Mercedes 12V electronic units got on with 15.8V :-/

I kinda like the max Voltage of this unit, of 14.55V at 3.8A . Only because the max voltage is more in line with my Alternators output of 14.5- 14.7V.

And for the sceptics the original MB OEMed CTEK CHARGER did not have the 15.8V cycle , surprise! surprise!

So should those with us with the CTEK MXS5 and AGM batteries not use the recondition function or not use the AGM function at all??

Or, should we look to return them?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not so easy with the only battery under the bonnet, but no other real place to connect to.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
So should those with us with the CTEK MXS5 and AGM batteries not use the recondition function or not use the AGM function at all??

On the CTEK MSX 5 don't use the 15.8V Recon feature on AGM batteries the AGM function charges at 14.7V so OK

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5

Well from what I have been told, I definitely would NOT use the Recondition mode or any cycle that chucks out 15.8V. Thats on the basis of what tech support at VErta said ( not the Customer services people, the guys I was put through to when I had to ask "is there a technical expert I can speak with please". Note VARTA MAke my Mercedes AGM battery.
When confronted with these facts, Then CTEK technical advised the UK distributor the way to go for MB AGM batteries was the CT5 Start Stop.

Interestingly even with my great Accumate battery charger the most I could get this battery to was 12.24 after a 18 hour charge, completeing the cycle to "Maintain Mode" and after a 6 hour post charge wait. Well I gave it 4 hours on the CT5 S S and even though it didnt even completed the cycle its showing 12.5 rock solid ???

As for returning it, well that depends on you.

bob 6600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi S8 V10, S210 E320 CDI (R.I.P.)
Lidl currently have theirs available instore again for £13.99

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-2491.htm?action=showDetail&id=40868&ar=3

279744_01_f.jpg

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
On the CTEK MSX 5 don't use the 15.8V Recon feature on AGM batteries the AGM function charges at 14.7V so OK

Thats what Varta said , AGMs like 12.7 to 12.8v.
So the AGM mode should be perfect.
The problem I discovered was CTEK seem to have designated a lot of their chargers start with a mandatory Check and Desulphate cycle pulsed at 15.8V (and thats the part VARTA said was bad for AGMs). Now CTeK produce the CT5 Start Stop, where I assume most cars with start stop use AGM batteries.?

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well from what I have been told, I definitely would NOT use the Recondition mode or any cycle that chucks out 15.8V. Thats on the basis of what tech support at VErta said ( not the Customer services people, the guys I was put through to when I had to ask "is there a technical expert I can speak with please". Note VARTA MAke my Mercedes AGM battery.
When confronted with these facts, Then CTEK technical advised the UK distributor the way to go for MB AGM batteries was the CT5 Start Stop.

Interestingly even with my great Accumate battery charger the most I could get this battery to was 12.24 after a 18 hour charge, completeing the cycle to "Maintain Mode" and after a 6 hour post charge wait. Well I gave it 4 hours on the CT5 S S and even though it didnt even completed the cycle its showing 12.5 rock solid ???

As for returning it, well that depends on you.

A AMG battery should be 12.5 high, after charging on these chargers you can apply a straight 6 amp charger for a few hours, maybe 6 hours to get them fully charged. You will never fully charge the battery on any of these thing, and that is life. After a constant charge that these batteries are intended for, they are just fine.

Sure the Auto charger stays coupled up all day to my SL, and in the winter all the time.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I had heard they are virtually the same.
But not being technically savvy, I would want a brand name where chargers are there focus just in case it all went beserk and burnt out the cars electrics.

Sure its highly unlikely but I would rather pay for the peace of mind. But at £70.60 it really irks me.
However the Accumate lasted 20 years (and still works fine) so this one should do forever.

Just trying to work out, how to shut the bonnet, either by extending the flyleads so the charger can go in the cabin. Or work out a way to secure it sitting beside the air intake tube.
Not so easy with a frameless window, as the rubber seal by the mirror triangle is pretty thin. Or go in on the door section.
The SL 500 went in the boot easily lots of soft thick rubber seal to cushion the flat mains cable.
I think it will need to go in the engine bay, as there is not enough room around the battery compartment, and oddly the engine bay seems to stay dryer.
Water does seem to spray around the windscreen side of the first compartment if it rains heavily.

I suppose if you want a big name to pursue if your charger went beserk then Lidl are far bigger than CTEK or whoever is selling it.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
I suppose if you want a big name to pursue if your charger went beserk then Lidl are far bigger than CTEK or whoever is selling it.

True but there is a maxim ... "big enough to care and sue, small enough to care"

Lidl could stop selling chargers with no impact to their business, and stone wall you till you died.
CTEK couldnt walk away from their charger business, and it would be cheaper to settle me by way of a 5 year old CL 500 ( say £20,000) than fight my £125,000 legal insurance policy plus of course paying their own legal fees, ... they would force their professional indemnity insurance company to settle).

A monster like Lidl or Tescos, could just shrug you off, and if they lose, then appeal until you are bankrupt. Plus its not like their product poisoned thousands of folks so it wouldn't hurt their bottom line or core business.

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx

You'd have ZERO chance of winning against a supermarket, unless someone died as a result of their negligence and they'd fight that as well.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
And on this forum we have 12v, enough to kill the world.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom