k40 relay Module?

g heaps

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes W140 S320, Mercedes W124 E300 estate. Vauxhall Omega 2.2 CDX Estate
Can you tell me if my 1998 Mercedes W140 S320 has a K40 Relay module or N30 relay module. If it does have either where are they on the located on the vehicle. Any diagrams or photograph of them would be very much appreciated. I am asking this because I am having problem in starting the vehicle. Battery is good and has been checked.
The car just keeps on turning over and I have read other threads that refer to a problem with both of these relays.
I have been able to start the car after the battery has been disconnected overnight and left it running on the drive in park no problem. Once turned off again it will not start just turns over.
I am having the car checked by local indie on STAR machine on 11 of June for other problems and want to ensure it starts.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you Gary

Last edited:
OP
G

g heaps

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for the quick reply Malcolm but I can not see the K40 or the N30 relays in the diagrams or are they labelled as something else? I need to know the location in the car or if my 1998 Mercedes S320 even has them so that I can check to see if they are OK.
I have read various other posts but they have been on SLK , W124 E300d, etc with photograph and diagrams of locations of the K40 and N30 relays. I am not good with electrical diagrams.

Many Thanks Gary

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I am pretty sure there was no K anything back then, those diagrams are for your engine.

Your fault almost sounds like a fuse making a poor contact, are they the rounds ones on your car.

OP
G

g heaps

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hello Malcolm thank you for the quick reply.

No they are the 2 prong straight ones. It is on my 1998 W140 S320. I may not have the K40 it is just that I have read about starting problems because of this relay module. The N30 relay I think is related to other problems. If it is dry tomorrow I will go over all the fuse that I can find in the boot and under the bonnet again.

I just hope it starts again. I have been to see my INDIE and he has agreed to let me take it in on Monday if it starts so as he can have the car for its slot on Thursday 11 June.The car is parked awkwardly on my drive, if it does not start with no power steering it would it would be difficult to manoeuvre and would have to be pushed back and forth to get it out for a recovery vehicle.
I just want to have my car running as normal as soon as possible. I am trying to rule out as much as I can to get the car running.

Gary

OP
G

g heaps

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thank you Malcolm great response as usual.

Gary

coxie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
slk 200 e200 w210

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
Can you tell me if my 1998 Mercedes W140 S320 has a K40 Relay module or N30 relay module. If it does have either where are they on the located on the vehicle. Any diagrams or photograph of them would be very much appreciated. I am asking this because I am having problem in starting the vehicle. Battery is good and has been checked.
The car just keeps on turning over and I have read other threads that refer to a problem with both of these relays.
I have been able to start the car after the battery has been disconnected overnight and left it running on the drive in park no problem. Once turned off again it will not start just turns over.
I am having the car checked by local indie on STAR machine on 11 of June for other problems and want to ensure it starts.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you Gary

Is the remote locking working OK?
Do the red and green lights in the mirror do anything when it fails to start?
Ignition switch is a definite suspect for this fault on a W140 or R129, or if the red green light flash together an immobiliser fault.
Can you hear the fuel pump run briefly when turning on?
1998 should mean no dealer fitted immobiliser, but are there any little silver stickers in the side windows?

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My 1998 CL has a dealer fitted immobilizer and has the little round socket and 2 keys.

Good call on the ignition switch as these are the same as the on the 129 where many of the things on the N10 were routed through the switch, it is the same switch as the 129.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OP
G

g heaps

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Alex the remote locking key is working OK I am waiting to see if my PSE pump can be repaired as it works sometimes (The pump under rear seat) and sometimes not.

Where is the N10 relay located.

I will have to check the red and green lights on the drivers door when I put my battery back on.

Thank you for the information.

Gary

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Alex the remote locking key is working OK I am waiting to see if my PSE pump can be repaired as it works sometimes (The pump under rear seat) and sometimes not.

Where is the N10 relay located.

I will have to check the red and green lights on the drivers door when I put my battery back on.

Thank you for the information.

Gary

if only 1 key it could be a bad soldered switch in key as the PSE pumps never ever go intermittent to my knowledge and I have fixed a few of these.

Yes the the car may not crank if the immobilizer is on and there could be a starter lock out relay under the dash.

This is nothing to do with the N10

If alarm good and all green then possible ignition switch as said by Alex.

OP
G

g heaps

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Malcolm. Thank for your quick reply
I have 2 keys and both work.
The PSE pump is intermittent.Sometime it opens and locks everything and sometimes opens only the doors but not the boot. Then does not lock the doors so I close them manually.
The car cranks over but will not start. I take the cables off the battery rub them together then wait a couple of hours and the car starts 1st time and runs but revs are high and the lights stay on on the dash as discussed in other post on lights staying on. If I switch off the engine and try to start again it will only crank over and not start.
I have only asked about the existence K40 relay and other relay in my W140 S class to see if they are what could be causing the starting problem so as I can investigate a possible fix.

Alex, Thank you for your quick reply
Sorry I forgot to add I can hear the pump when I turn on ignition and I do have an immobilizer with Red and Black keys that both slot into a a slot in the glove compartment but have not used them since I have owned the car. (11 years)

I just hope the car starts on Monday morning when I refit the battery and am able to get it to the INDIE on Monday.If all goes well I will post a reply about what has happened.
Gary

OP
G

g heaps

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Update on what is happening.

The car would not start to take in as agreed with INDIE early on Monday. I had it picked up and transported to Indie Garage on Wednesday 10 June so as work could be started on Thursday 11, I have been kept informed that the fault could be engine management ECU or Immobiliser fault. They are a very busy garage. The car still turns over but refuse to fire up. The engine ECU could cost upwards of £1500 pounds plus fitting and plus all other work.
If any one has had this none start problem and fixed it please let me know how so as I may get my beautiful W140 back on the road.

I have also updated my post on none starting and lights on dash on

Thank you for all your advice and any more that will help with the fix.

Gary

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
As in the other post, secondhand ECU's are plentiful, and I am sure that they are not tied to the ignition switch

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The ECU will be coded to match the key on this car.

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Malcolm, love your tag line!!
Will be using that one myself :D

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The ECU will be coded to match the key on this car.

Thanks Alex, then with plenty being broken it should not too much of a problem to change both, the intermittent locking is a hard one unless the carbon brushes in the pump are worn out.

OP
G

g heaps

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks to Alex and Malcolm.
I have been ill hence the length of time in giving the updates.

The garage are still checking out the ECUs on the car and the immobiliser system to keep the costs down. (Hopefully).

I will keep updating both the threads when I hear more from my INDIE. But information for me "Can other ECUs be put into my car and is it possible to code the keys to the said ECU/ECUs.

Again thanks for all the help and advice and for any future help it is much appreciated.

Gary

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom