Karcher pressure washer fix

micky.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 AMG Line Coupe 2015
I just upgraded all my car care products with mainly Autoglym products, including the three piece Polar range (snow, shampoo, seal). These need to be applied with a pressure washer. Mine is an approx four year old Karcher K4. It failed about a year ago, when water came gushing out of the housing, but it was just inside its warranty period, so Karcher collected it, fixed it, refreshed it, and sent it back. It failed again today, even though I only used it last week. It just wouldn’t fire up. I looked up the YouTube tutorials, which all gave the same airlock guide of removing the trigger handle and running water through for five mins, but this didn’t work. I fiddled about with it for ages, and then I accidentally pulled the hose out of the trigger handle while the water and power were still switched on. Bingo! The motor activated and water came spurting out of the bare hose end. I didn’t get round to cleaning the car in the end.

So in summary, just in case you can’t get your Karcher working and it appears to be totally dead, just turn everything on, then press the yellow lock button and pull off the trigger handle.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
My K4 Karcher is piddling water out at the bottom too ..... :( but mine is way out of warranty. Karcher do a fixed price repair but the price to me is too high when you can buy a new jet wash not not much more.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
A lot of them die because they freeze in the winter..

OP
micky.

micky.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 AMG Line Coupe 2015
My K4 Karcher is piddling water out at the bottom too ..... :( but mine is way out of warranty. Karcher do a fixed price repair but the price to me is too high when you can buy a new jet wash not not much more.
It's annoying isn't it? These are meant to be a premium product, they certainly cost a lot more than other brands. When mine failed last year, it had fallen on its back the last time I packed it away, and I think this broke something inside. Obviously it should be able to withstand falling over, but it suggests there's a defective internal part. It might be an easy fix. Have you thought about opening it up to have a look inside?

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
There is a £10 capacitor inside that is sometimes worth a cheap repair attempt if nothing works at all

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Already have but there was nothing obvious
I think they can develop hairline cracks in the black plastic housings that leak water but are hard to see without them running

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Yep ....if you store it in your shed, make sure you drain it before winter.
Mine are in the garage, I keep them in a double cardboard box and blankets over the top. Not lost one like that, but I did lose one previously due to frost.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
My Nilfisk has lived outdoors for the past 6 years. Still going strong. :)

AnthonyUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 estate 2002
I've kept all my Karchers indoors over the years and never had an issue. Even the cheapy K2 still works fine after 6-7 years although it is now with a relative.
For car washing a K2 is adequate and can often be found on the outlet for around £50.
I have a K4 full control now and notice no difference tbh but it is better for for cleaning the patio etc.

AnthonyUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 estate 2002
I never had an issue with the previous Karcher when that also lived in my shed, but this one only lasted a few years before dying :(

You only need one hard frost in an unheated shed. Any water left inside will freeze and expand cracking parts.
As we know, water can burst pipes when it freezes so can be pretty damaging.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Anyway ... I'm waiting till such times I can use my B&Q card in the store to get another ... I can get 8% off with it

OP
micky.

micky.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 AMG Line Coupe 2015
Anyway ... I'm waiting till such times I can use my B&Q card in the store to get another ... I can get 8% off with it
Are you going to get another Karcher?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'd check elsewhere as well, discount on a higher base price still equates to more folding leaving your pocket... :(

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
You can always give somewhere like John Pye auctions a try as well if you want to save some folding, they are often shop returned items or repaired but customer already received a new one

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
My K4 Full control is on year 4 now, I must admit when I first got it, it felt cheap rubbish and I doubted I'd get a year from it!
It lives in the garage and is always drained which probably helps.
Back to OP, I don't rate the washer applied products personally (apart from Snow Foam of course), it's just not possible to apply correctly.....

OP
micky.

micky.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 AMG Line Coupe 2015
You can always give somewhere like John Pye auctions a try as well if you want to save some folding, they are often shop returned items or repaired but customer already received a new one
Problem with the auctions is that you don’t get any warranty. I got my K4 with a full set of tools from the Amazon Warehouse, £105 brand new and unused, it just had an open/damaged box. It included a three year warranty which proved to be very valuable.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom