Key ignition troubles

sonnysomal

Reaction score
Hi

In a nut shell....when putting the key in to the ignition in my C220 Cdi, it wont turn.

It has only been happening for the last month or so. It does eventually start when the key is slowly wiggled around in the ignition, but does take 5-10 minutes to do this. Sometimes it even starts straight away when put it.

Does anyone have any ideas of what it could be? Is it the key? I would have tried the spare key but I don't have one.

Thanks

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
This could be the key or the lock, sometimes one gets dry joints inside the key on the PCB.. I think that first you must buy a new key from your dealer, there is no other way,,I take it that yours is the all plastic key known as EIS

OP
S

sonnysomal

Reaction score
yea its the all plastic eis key

so get a new key first? is there anyway i can check that it is definately the key thats the problem before buying a new one?

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
If its been doing it for the last month then my money is the EIS unit, but as Malc said, try key first as it the cheapest item!!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The problem here is that the ignition switch uses a different part of the key to the locking part. When in the car it is powered from the car and transducer ring. you could make sure that the red tip is clean

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom