Knocking from NSF

N

nate687

Hi I have an aclass on an s plate. Having only recently purchased it I'm trying to iron out a few of the little gremlins. First and most irritating is a knocking from the NSF, it sounds like its in the cabin and is only really when driving normally. If I put my foot down it goes away and seems to go away on rougher road surfaces! I had a good look underneath this morning and check exhaust mounts steering etc and no movement or slack at all. I'm wondering if there's something behind the plastic wheel arch liner?
The second is a sqeaking from the steering wheel when turning it, almost like the cowling is ribbing against the wheel it's self.
Any help would be great.

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
Hi
Need a bit more info on the knocking noise.
Is it a continuous knock which goes away when you speed up ?
What is the mileage ?

OP
N

nate687

@mattkh yeah sounds just like it. Doesn't always do it either. The rougher the road surface the noise goes away too. About to go and take the wheel and arch liner out to have a good look. Will update you and @scotty2hotty81 with the outcome.

OP
N

nate687

Had a look. Nothing has any play in it apart from the rear gearbox mount which is situated pretty much under the passenger footwell roughly about where the noise is coming from. Can't really see how easy it would be to replace. Hopefully not too bad. I might chance the anti roll bar bushes as well. To be on the safe side

cataloyking

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
glc amg 4matic
a class knocking

i had an a class t reg bought new which developed a knock at the front it was traced to a bush in the steering column seemingly a common fault

OP
N

nate687

thanks @cataloyking maybe another job to get done!!!!!

OP
N

nate687

so after replacing the rear engine mount, not too bad a job the knocking was still there (though gear change is a lot smoother now?) so ordered new anti roll bar bushes and went to fit them this morning so had the car up on axle stands removed the wheels took a deep breath and then noticed a loose bolt, so it would appear that whoever fitted the recently replaced drop-links had neglected to tighten the near side up. a few nips with spanner and no more knocking (just for good measure I added a pair of nyloc nuts)

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom