Knocking noise from front suspension

Devonian

Reaction score
On a 97 C250TD W202 there is a distinct knocking when going slowly over bumps. A search on here shows it almost certainly to be Anti roll bar drop link bushes but where are they? I must be stupid because I can't see them.

So upon jacking up the front wheels independantly I can detect a small amount of movement both side to side and top to bottom when rocking the wheels yet both sides seem to be the same, should this movement be there?
I could not see exactly where the movement was coming from.

For information I attach a picture of the rear of the wheel hub which shows the anti roll bar connecting to the bottom of the hub

Thanks,

Andy

Attachments

• IMG00177.jpg
    IMG00177.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 177

BlackC55

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43
There are no ARB links on your car.

Top to bottom is wheel bearing and a small amount of play is ok

Side to side play is either the drag link or track rod ends.

Check for play in the lower ball joint by levering under the tyre when off the ground.

BlackC55

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43
Check the springs too. They are prone to cracking and snapping.

OP
D

Devonian

Reaction score
Thanks,

I'll check those things and report back

Parrot of Doom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Was an E300TD, now a Lexus LS400
To tighten the wheel bearings shouldn't be difficult, on mine you remove the cap and the locking nut is a clever little device thats perfectly obvious.

Just don't overtighten them. Finger loose-tight, thats it.

philharve

Reaction score
Website
go.to
Your Mercedes
W202 C230K Auto 2000
On a 97 C250TD W202 there is a distinct knocking when going slowly over bumps. A search on here shows it almost certainly to be Anti roll bar drop link bushes but where are they? I must be stupid because I can't see them.

So upon jacking up the front wheels independantly I can detect a small amount of movement both side to side and top to bottom when rocking the wheels yet both sides seem to be the same, should this movement be there?
I could not see exactly where the movement was coming from.

For information I attach a picture of the rear of the wheel hub which shows the anti roll bar connecting to the bottom of the hub

Thanks,

Andy

Hi Andy

I had the same problem with my C230K and I suspected the knocking originated from the lefthand front wheel. The knocking - more like a rumble - only appeared on rough roads.

My indie discovered the problem during routine servicing by examining the wear on my nearside, front tyre which was wearing slightly more on the outside compared with the offside front tyre. Most people wouldn't spot the difference. I only noticed it when it was brought to my attention.

All the bushes 'looked' to be in A1 condition but testing with a crowbar revealed that the nearside, lower wishbone bush had actually split axially in such a way that the defect was invisible.

Replacing both lower wishbone bushes eradicated the rumble. It took many months to diagnose a problem existed. There were times when I thought I was being unduly sensitive and imagining the rumble. It would come and go which didn't help with the diagnosis. The rumble was less noticeable in wet weather.

I suppose the moral is, 'don't judge by appearances, check it!'.

REGARDS

Phil

OP
D

Devonian

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I changed the anti roll bar bushes and it cured the problem.

However whilst having the car jacked up I noticed some play in the off side front wheel. Holding the wheel at 3 & 9 Oclock I can rock it side to side. the track rod moved with the wheel so I assume the play is at the other end of this. Unfortunately I didn't have time to investigate further so this is a job for this weekend. I am guessing it will be the steering rack?

Any thoughts?

BlackC55

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43
It is probably the steering rack or track rod end.

Last edited:

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom