kph to mph convenrsion - required?

clunkyduster

Reaction score
Hi!

First post here - hello everybody!

I have an imported 190 E (manufacture year 1989) that I'm looking to have registered in the UK - the DVLA is giving me some grief over the fact that the speedometer is showing only kph. My first question is: is it a legal requirement that the seepometer shows mph (or both)?

If so, what would be the simplest and cheapest option to have it converted? Having had a look a the forum and elsewhere, it seems that I have 4 options:

- have the cable changed (though I'd have to prove to the DVLA that it is now showing mph, even though the face hasn't changed)

- change the part - lockwood for example does dual speedometer faces for a range of cars, but they don't have one in stock for a 190 E and cost for one unit is prohibitive (£200 or so)

- find a scrap yard that has the UK part

- find someone that does a sticker I could put on the speedo, that shows both

Was wondering if anyone could offer suggestions, advice or both!

Many thanks in advance!

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hi & Welcome,

Cheapest option is stickers on the speedo with MPH figures, small white circles from a stationers will do with the numbers written on.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Welcome to the forum.

There should read both.

On your car it would be simple to use a stick on or a cluster from a breaker

you can unplug the speedo section and put it in yours as you can see from this link

OP
C

clunkyduster

Reaction score
Many thanks for the replies!

I think I will go down the sticker route, easiest and will keep the car in as original a condition as possible! Only question is, will the DVLs accept it as dual, as it's a bit more DIY than other solutions?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Many thanks for the replies!

I think I will go down the sticker route, easiest and will keep the car in as original a condition as possible! Only question is, will the DVLs accept it as dual, as it's a bit more DIY than other solutions?

You will have to ask them,,if they will not, changing the speedo head is not expensive and looks better than stick on numbers

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
A lot of the grey import motorcycles from Japan just have the stickers on the speedo.

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
I'd have thought a 2nd hand speedometer would be the way to go, they must be cheap enough.

OP
C

clunkyduster

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for all the replies and advice!

I've actually bought a reclaimed UK speedo in the end - not just the face (as I thought), mind, but actually the whole part, complete with oil/temp/fuel gauges!

Now the trick is to figure out how to put it into place... failing which I'll have to ask my local garage for help with it!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
They only unscrew,,and you can change the head over

ncooper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1984 Mercedes Benz 280 SL,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Manual,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Auto
Thanks a lot for all the replies and advice!

I've actually bought a reclaimed UK speedo in the end - not just the face (as I thought), mind, but actually the whole part, complete with oil/temp/fuel gauges!

Now the trick is to figure out how to put it into place... failing which I'll have to ask my local garage for help with it!

The instrument panel is only a push in fit,however,the hard bit is unscrewing the speedometer cable from the back.
If you lie down in the footwell(!) you need to remove the cover under the steering column and then reach up behind the instrument panel and push it out as far as it will go.
You should just be able to reach the end of the speedometer cable then.

As Haynes would have it,refitting is the reverse of removal,you will know you have succeeded when there is no skin on the back of your hands and you have exhausted your vocabulary of expletives.

There are a lot of wires,but the connectors are all different and will not fit onto the wrong ones.

Once it's out,you have the choice of either removing the speedometer,replacing it with the imperial one and refitting the panel,or replace the whole thing.

I would suggest the latter,as you will then have your original one intact and could replace it after the DVLA is happy.

I do think they are being a bit pedantic ( a characteristic I of course do not share:rolleyes:),such a trivial thing was not mentioned when I imported my VW Beetle in 1971.

Regards,
Nick

fullmeister

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 250D estate
So....
How difficult was it to re register the car? I,m moving back to England next year and I,m determined to keep my 250D estate
Did you have to take it for an SVA test ?

OP
C

clunkyduster

Reaction score
Coming back to the thread a bit late - apologies, I was away! - the DVLA came round to have a check at the car, and seem to have been satisfied with the speedometer as they issued us with registration for plates. I had the change done by a garage though, as I figured my repertory of expletives was too narrow for the endeavour!

Just have to go and get the plates done now...

Didn't think it'd take so long to have it all sorted - it's certainly worth asking the DVLA a good few times what are all the required steps to be undertaken in order to get an import registered, as they make it sound a lot quicker and straight-forward than it is (or at least was in my experience).

Anyhow - all my thanks once again for all the support and advice!

fullmeister

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 250D estate
Coming back to the thread a bit late - apologies, I was away! - the DVLA came round to have a check at the car, and seem to have been satisfied with the speedometer as they issued us with registration for plates. I had the change done by a garage though, as I figured my repertory of expletives was too narrow for the endeavour!

Just have to go and get the plates done now...

Didn't think it'd take so long to have it all sorted - it's certainly worth asking the DVLA a good few times what are all the required steps to be undertaken in order to get an import registered, as they make it sound a lot quicker and straight-forward than it is (or at least was in my experience).

Anyhow - all my thanks once again for all the support and advice!

So no SVA ? I,m assuming it is because they recognise the model??
Only Lights speedo and MOT ?

OP
C

clunkyduster

Reaction score
sorry for the stupidity of the question, but what is an SVA?

fullmeister

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 250D estate
sorry for the stupidity of the question, but what is an SVA?

Single vehicle approval

Usually its for kit cars but I was (miss) informed that I may have to have this done on The Merc . I couldn't see it happening but someone such as yourself would be the person to ask ;)

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
sva's are required for ALL cars that arent 'type approved' as far as im aware. some kit cars, like caterhams ARE type approved and therefore require no sva. also i believe that any vehicle you import over 10 years old is not subject to SVA regulations anyhow.

this info may be incorrect now but the last time i spoke to an importer i know, this was the situation

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
Some years ago when the working MPH speedo became a requirement stickers were not acceptable, things may have changed since then but a proper MPH instrument will look better.

The speedo has to match the back axle ratio or it will give wildly inaccurate readings.

OP
C

clunkyduster

Reaction score
I must say I don't know what to answer regarding the SVA - certainly the car was looked at by an inspector, but whether that constitutes an SVA or not I don't know! (sorry!)

I don't know exactly at what else the inspector looked at as only my wife was present at the inspection - the lights dipping and rear fog light was done at the MOT, and the speedo in mph was required by the DVLA.

Let me know if I can be of more help, and apologies for the possible uselessness of my answer!

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom