Lamp Defective, Check Lamps E 200 Turbo 2002 36,000 miles from new FSH

ourtomtom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E200 Kompressor Classic 02 C220 Elegance N
This might appear to be a rambling monologue, so I have itemised the steps to avoid confusion, in determination to sort it myself.

1. Connect battery
2. Switch-on, & usual warning lights illuminate, Fault screen indicates Defective Lamp, Check Lamps.
3. Start Engine, rotate steering wheel lock to lock, all warning lights extinguish.
4. Depress Brake Pedal & BAS, ABS warning lights illuminate, Cruise Control, Speed Limiter & ESP fail to operate, i.e. no longer function.
5. Switch-off engine - fault screen indicates 4 malfunctions. Defective Lamp Check Lamps.
6. Switch-on, start engine, turn on side lights or headlights, depress brake pedal & no warning lights illuminate - everything is working okay
7. Switch-off & the fault screen indicates Defective Lamp, Check Lamps, 1 malfunction.
8. Switch-on & start engine, without depressing brake pedal & all warning lights extinguish,
9. Switch-off, fault screen indicates 1 malfunction.

It boils down to this: on starting engine with battery connected as normal all warning lights extinguish, until you depress the brake pedal and the ABS & BAS warning lights come-on . But with the sidelights or headlights turned-on everything works normally. Switch-off the lights head or side with the brake pedal depressed and the ABS, BAS warning lights illuminate and 4 malfunctions shows on fault screen. Switch-off ignition and switch-on again and fault screen shows only 1 malfunction then shows Defective Lamp, Check Lamps. All the lamps appear to be working perfectly. I have replaced bulbs and the stoplight switch without success. In desperation I tweeted it. See tweet @ourtomtom - i.e.Tom Stack the Author. MB_ Retail responded asking for contact details, which I supplied, but I await their response. I reckon it will be the usual come-on take it to the MB rip-off diag service centre with £££££££ signs racking up as you pull-in. But I will keep you posted. In the meantime if anyone has a suggestion I haven't yet tried please let me know.
Best regards Tom.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
I am looking at exactly the same fault at the moment on an E320CDI.

I will let you know what I find.

This one has bi-xenon with the OSF bulb blown but since then the ABS lights come on with the indicators and foglamps and when you hit the brake pedal.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Not easy,,,SAM ???? when a SAM goes down they can lose information temporally, once the CAN has died down for important things, it will keep looking for the missing things and find them, and all warnings go, but only till you start up again the next day.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Not easy,,,SAM ???? when a SAM goes down they can lose information temporally, once the CAN has died down for important things, it will keep looking for the missing things and find them, and all warnings go, but only till you start up again the next day.

Could be, but the SAMs on a 210 arent like a W211 or a W203. I am currently looking at the earths of the lighting circuit. Its almost as if something is shorting to earth and activating something it shouldnt.

I will report back

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Yes only a simple SAM on a 210, you do have the lighting box.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Update on this.

Check your earthing point behind the O/S/F headlamp. The one I had was badly corroded and had actually started to come away. Visually it looked in tact so give it a good tug to see how intact it is.

Basically the earth was so poor it tried to find other consumers in which to earth from. In this instance it picked on the O/S/F headlamp and side lamp and the ABS control unit and sending other consumers into a right old giggle fit when they had to be operated. I created a new earth point using a brand new nut and bolt on the inner wing then waxoyl-ing it.

This could be the same as the OPs fault. Worth looking at for sure.

Last edited:
OP
O

ourtomtom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E200 Kompressor Classic 02 C220 Elegance N
Stoplight problem

Hi Steve & Others
Problem solved for now I hope, but have yet to use on a daily basis. I intend to do so when taxed and MOT'd from April 1st.

It's a litany of deceit and obfuscation from local Inchcape dealer which I will go into later when I'm sure the problem is fixed for good. But briefly I reckon it boiled down to an offset pin stop/tail bulb wrongly installed.

Will log a follow up when I know it's fixed for sure.
Regards
Tom.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom