Leaking CL500 Power Pump

The Sat Diver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Black 07 CLS AMG 6.3 and Audi Q7 previously a Blue 1998 SL280 and 1994 SL500 plus a Chipped CL500
I'm an owner of a W reg CL500 who knows nothing about the car he drives apart from the fact he loves it... and a new forum member to boot.. so apologies for any initial mistakes

The Problem..
My dashboard keeps telling me to visit the Workshop for a faulty ABC and
I am told by Mercedes that the combined Steering and Power Pump is leaking

So with nothing to lose I topped up the 2 reservoirs very slightly and surprise the messages went away so I then looked under the car and all I can see is a hydraulic line weeping fluid

Does anyone have experience of this and if so is it likely I need £800 worth of
pump ?? even if I could locate one... I have had one on backorder from the dealership for some 4 weeks now

Thanks Malcolm

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Welcome to the forum, I have ABC on mine. Every now and then the ABC lamp will come on, just by changing the menu on the steering will take it away.

I f the dash lights up RED saying "car too low" just turn off and restart the raise the car, and then back down again. Mine will do it leaving the garage once or twice in the 7 months that I have had it.

If the lamp comes on just white ABC,you can test without stopping by changing the suspension setting, if it accepts that, the car is fine, so you can ignore that, or if by changing the menu it goes away, just drive on

The only time to stop the car is if it comes on in RED car too low, re start and away.

Hope this makes some sense

OP
T

The Sat Diver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Black 07 CLS AMG 6.3 and Audi Q7 previously a Blue 1998 SL280 and 1994 SL500 plus a Chipped CL500
Hmmm... thanks for the input and you just made me remember that business with regard to adjusting the ride height unfortunately once it pops up on the dash I cannot change the menu...

I then have to stop the car switch off the engine and restart.. perhaps 4 or
5 times before these pesky messages go away ... but it's also odd that they always seem to appear first thing in the morning... rarely when the car has been used during the day and has been warmed up

Thanks again..

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Since the car always works OK on a restart surely it must be a sensor.

Re the pump,can you see a leak

OP
T

The Sat Diver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
This is the frustrating thing.... the tech at the dealership says it is but the only leak I can see is on a hose underneath weeping very slightly

Of course this only serves to increase my theory that the apprentice gets the older models and the experienced hands get the new models to work on ??
maybe i'm just too cynical...

Cheers
Malcolm

eric242340

Banned
Reaction score
The Active Body Control has many sensors both front and rear, also four sets of actuator valves (with sensors). If your system is leaking anywhere, then pressure is lost overnight and the dual pump will take a little time in the morming to re-pressurise the system. Once the suspension reaches normal ride height then key out and in again will clear this pesky warning signal. If you have to key out and in again,several times, its because the car has not yet reached normal ride height and therefore the computer will not clear the fault code.

The real matter is there is a leak (be it the duo pump) or pipes. This needs to be fixed first. And if they have to change the pump this will include an oil flush (more money) plus a rodeo test on star D.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The Active Body Control has many sensors both front and rear, also four sets of actuator valves (with sensors). If your system is leaking anywhere, then pressure is lost overnight and the dual pump will take a little time in the morming to re-pressurise the system. Once the suspension reaches normal ride height then key out and in again will clear this pesky warning signal. If you have to key out and in again,several times, its because the car has not yet reached normal ride height and therefore the computer will not clear the fault code.

The real matter is there is a leak (be it the duo pump) or pipes. This needs to be fixed first. And if they have to change the pump this will include an oil flush (more money) plus a rodeo test on star D.

Sorry eric these cars do not work like the way that you say, they do not sink or need pumping up. your answer only adds confusion

eric242340

Banned
Reaction score
Sorry eric these cars do not work like the way that you say, they do not sink or need pumping up. your answer only adds confusion
OK, then ill sit on the side line and watch;) For me ABC is a big subject at the moment,so i will await all replies on this thread and keep my mouth shut:D

OP
T

The Sat Diver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well actually in a way your both correct in that I have been informed by the dealership that if all goes pear shaped the suspension will collapse onto the wheels making it impossible to drive... which is why i'm panicking.. slightly

Didn't know about the key in and out bit tho' as I never ever use it ... always use the Keyless Go and i'm sorry to say I know nothing about Rodeo's and star D.. perhaps you could explain Eric.. would appreciate any knowledge I can gain

Thanks

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ABC suspension does not have to go through a rodeo to set it up, also the car will never as for as I know sink onto the wheels as this type of suspension will not allow that, yes it can sink to be too low to drive at high speed.

STAR D is the diagnostic test gear to read and set the faults, and the dealer has done this.

Since the ride height is only changed some 30mm turning off and on with the key while the car rises is not true. You can leave one of these cars for months and the height does not change. This is a variable height system where the height is changed according to the speed of the car, also the load in the car.

As you know you can drive the car some days maybe several 100 yards before it will come on.
I too use Keykess go, and it is nothing to do with that, though it is tied up with EIS that is the electronic ignition switch,

http://www.mercedestechstore.com/pdfs/R230_technician/318 HO ABC (DPS) 03-06-02.pdf

The link will give you a little info on how it works, and how faults are dealt with

Have you tried raising the car a few times to see if the fault goes away. One of my wheel units loses a few drops, not enough to top up though

eric242340

Banned
Reaction score
ABC suspension does not have to go through a rodeo to set it up, also the car will never as for as I know sink onto the wheels as this type of suspension will not allow that, yes it can sink to be too low to drive at high speed.

STAR D is the diagnostic test gear to read and set the faults, and the dealer has done this.

Since the ride height is only changed some 30mm turning off and on with the key while the car rises is not true. You can leave one of these cars for months and the height does not change. This is a variable height system where the height is changed according to the speed of the car, also the load in the car.

As you know you can drive the car some days maybe several 100 yards before it will come on.
I too use Keykess go, and it is nothing to do with that, though it is tied up with EIS that is the electronic ignition switch,

http://www.mercedestechstore.com/pdfs/R230_technician/318 HO ABC (DPS) 03-06-02.pdf

The link will give you a little info on how it works, and how faults are dealt with

Have you tried raising the car a few times to see if the fault goes away. One of my wheel units loses a few drops, not enough to top up though

:confused: ? Of course the car will sit down if the ABC goes wrong and it is a complex sytem that needs a lot of attention. Keyless Go and EIS are part and parcel of the same system, however KG and EIS dont seem to be the problem here.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
:confused: ? Of course the car will sit down if the ABC goes wrong and it is a complex sytem that needs a lot of attention. Keyless Go and EIS are part and parcel of the same system, however KG and EIS dont seem to be the problem here.

Eric have you ever seen a CL/SL sitting down like the old citroens, of couse it will but not that far to notice.

Dont twist things please over the Keyless Go and EIS, I answered because the guy was using Keyless Go and no other reason

If you had ever seen,or driven a CL/SL or worked on one you would know that the ride height needs to be known by the EIS, and no one other than you have said otherwise.

Your earlier comments about the Rodeo test prove the point that you do not know how these cars work

eric242340

Banned
Reaction score
Eric have you ever seen a CL/SL sitting down like the old citroens, of couse it will but not that far to notice.

Dont twist things please over the Keyless Go and EIS, I answered because the guy was using Keyless Go and no other reason

If you had ever seen,or driven a CL/SL or worked on one you would know that the ride height needs to be known by the EIS, and no one other than you have said otherwise.

Your earlier comments about the Rodeo test prove the point that you do not know how these cars work
Well, to answer the first part YES , we have many CL and the second part is YES they will sit down, any more questions? And your comparrison with the Citreon is worthless, as these are two different systems. :rolleyes:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well, to answer the first part YES , we have many CL and the second part is YES they will sit down, any more questions? And your comparrison with the Citreon is worthless, as these are two different systems. :rolleyes:

Go and have another drink, and please do not say that I have said that they are like Citroen. I said the opposite thank you.

There, that what I said.

Please dont get up to your old tricks again, and turn every thread into something unpleasant.

You have not said one constructive thing here, other than your scare mongering

eric242340

Banned
Reaction score
Go and have another drink, and please do not say that I have said that they are like Citroen. I said the opposite thank you.

There, that what I said.

Please dont get up to your old tricks again, and turn every thread into something unpleasant.

You have not said one constructive thing here, other than your scare mongering
There is no scare mongering, there is reality and I happen to fix these cars on a daily basis and have been doing so for a lot of years. ps MALCOM, do you know what RODEO means? Try looking it up on your super internet, or better still the RUSSIAN connection and im sure you will still be looking a year from now. Thats how much you know about Active Body Control. Thus said, good night and god bless, its time for sleep.:D

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There is no scare mongering, there is reality and I happen to fix these cars on a daily basis and have been doing so for a lot of years. ps MALCOM, do you know what RODEO means? Try looking it up on your super internet, or better still the RUSSIAN connection and im sure you will still be looking a year from now. Thats how much you know about Active Body Control. Thus said, good night and god bless, its time for sleep.:D

Its no good you getting ratty on how they work, I did put up the link as to how they are set up and tested.

You have never seen a CL or SL yet alone having worked on one, so there is no rodeo test for them.
Having done lots of homework before I bought one, and having some of the experiences of the guy here with the fault, Also I put up the link as to how they are set up.
A history teacher does not have to live in Tim Buck Too, to be able to teach about it.
You are going to have a sore head in the morning eric:-( :-( :-(

OP
T

The Sat Diver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Errr... well thanks for the link guys and the information ... never meant for things to get heated... just for your info I do actually leave the car for long periods whilst i'm away and the height never varies... although I always do have one heck of a job getting back into it every time I return home since the battery is always flat!! just bought a new battery and one of those solar cell thingy's to keep it charged so will try that next time I go away

Malcolm

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Errr... well thanks for the link guys and the information ... never meant for things to get heated... just for your info I do actually leave the car for long periods whilst i'm away and the height never varies... although I always do have one heck of a job getting back into it every time I return home since the battery is always flat!! just bought a new battery and one of those solar cell thingy's to keep it charged so will try that next time I go away

Malcolm

The height will only vary with a individual suspension failure.

Re the Battery,is it the Glass Mat type. these car will not stand for more than two weeks owing to the wake up circuits.

Have you fitted a special charging socket for the Solar Panel

OP
T

The Sat Diver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Malcolm I really have no idea what type... however I did buy it directly from the Main dealer at a vastly inflated price and no ... no special socket just plugs into the Cigar lighter

Now your going to tell me I shouldn't do that are you ??

That link looks seriously good but unfortunately using Satellite It is taking forever to download and I havn't been too successful with it so far although it is only a matter of time..

Apologies for the delays between replies too... i'm doing 18 hour days and my time online is very limited

Thanks Malcolm

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I was thinking last night in bed on this.

On these very complicated cars, when the battery is low and has to be charged before starting after standing, your fault could be that the ABC warning is coming on due to the fact that the ABC has not stabilized in the time that the EIS system did the running check.

When I bought mine, the ESP lamp came on regularly as I left the garage, due to the voltage dip caused by the bad battery, other cars here have had the BAS/ABS lamp on through this voltage dip, the new battery solving these problems in most cases.

If I can make it easier to explain. The EIS system involves a high speed data check that, ( the ABC is part of this system) all systems are OK and that the car is OK to drive.

I cannot see how any fault code could be read out to show a leaking steering box pump, there are no sensors and the pump is fed from the top up tank. if my thinking is wrong here maybe someone in the know could correct me

I would like to think that the above is true, and that with the new battery the fault will go away, the check should be done on the leak to see if it is the hose or the pump, washing down with a engine spray degreaser would enable the leak to be spotted more easily.

Re the Solar charger, you cant use the socket in the car as it is key 1 minimum to be live, though some cars do have a socket in the boot

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom