Lemon or too high expectations SLK R172

johna56

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 SLK 250CDI
Hi all

I recently,4weeks ago bought a new to us SLK 250cdi. However it appears as though there are some problems or I may be expecting too much. Briefly the problems seem to be -

• In eco mode - the stop start function has only worked a few times, is there something I need to set?
  • Auto headlights - change from day running to dipped beam ok, but not between main beam and dipped, is this normal? Our Volvo changes from main beam to dipped so surprised a Mercedes doesn't
  • Automatic boot opening - despite doing what handbook says, doesn't work and it feels quite heavy. Is this an optional extra, or is it not working?
  • Automatic window opening and closing - same as above?
  • Automatic roof opening - again same as above?

If there is a better section to post in please let me know and I'll repost.

Many thanks in advance

John

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Automatic roof opening?
Do you mean it just does it when the sun comes out, without any driver input?
If so, you'll have to wait awhile!

Joking of course, but what do you mean by 'automatic roof opening'?

Reactions: M80

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Hi all

I recently,4weeks ago bought a new to us SLK 250cdi. However it appears as though there are some problems or I may be expecting too much. Briefly the problems seem to be -

• In eco mode - the stop start function has only worked a few times, is there something I need to set?
  • Auto headlights - change from day running to dipped beam ok, but not between main beam and dipped, is this normal? Our Volvo changes from main beam to dipped so surprised a Mercedes doesn't
  • Automatic boot opening - despite doing what handbook says, doesn't work and it feels quite heavy. Is this an optional extra, or is it not working?
  • Automatic window opening and closing - same as above?
  • Automatic roof opening - again same as above?
If there is a better section to post in please let me know and I'll repost.

Many thanks in advance

John
I think your SLK is working as expected. ECO mode is a bonus if it doesn't work! For the rest you need to install an aftermarket device for about £300, something like this....... https://www.advanced-incar.co.uk/pr...des-convertible-remote-roof-open-module-copy/

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Auto headlights just outs dipped beam on
Boot opening (in an SLK) just unlocks it. It’s a heavy piece so you have to lift it.
Eco-stop start depends on lots of variables, including battery charge. At this time of year there’s a lot of load so it won’t work as often as in the summer.

Your car sounds like it’s working as designed. I recommend taking the owners manual into your bathroom and having a good read next time you have 5 minutes to yourself.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I'm going to guess auto roof opening you mean one touch? Not the way MB do things if so and you'll need an after market box called a Smart Top fitted. Alternatively if you mean pressing the unlock button to open the roof / windows you need to point the key at the drivers door and hold the button down to open (unlock button) or close (lock button). Some cars don't have this feature some cars do. The owners manual should tell you if it does (my SL does for Windows, not for roof).

Auto lights as mentioned is only to turn on dip beams unless your car has the ILS (intelligent light system) option. A decode of the VIN number will soon show if that's fitted.

OP
J

johna56

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 SLK 250CDI
Hi, many thanks for the replies. To summarise
Auto headlights in MB world are not really auto headlights compared to other manufacturers
Eco Start is a bit stop and start depending on some variables
Despite handbook describing how to automatically open the boot using the key that function does exist
One touch windows and roof might not be working. Need to get them checked before spring

many thanks again

John

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Auto headlights in MB world are not really auto headlights compared to other manufacturers. Fully auto headlights including dipping is an option...but maybe not on an SLK.
Eco Start is a bit stop and start depending on some variables. No pun intended?
Despite handbook describing how to automatically open the boot using the key that function does exist. The handbook describes all functions, even if your car does not have that one.
One touch windows and roof might not be working. Need to get them checked before spring. They need to be reset...hold the button to open the window fully and when fully down continue to hold for about 5 seconds...that should do it.

many thanks again

John

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Had to do this window reset to my Clk after disconnecting the battery and putting a new one in a few days ago

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...

One touch windows and roof might not be working. Need to get them checked before spring. They need to be reset...hold the button to open the window fully and when fully down continue to hold for about 5 seconds...that should do it. I also tend to hold button in closed position for about 5 seconds too, just to ensure its captured both ends of the cycle. (Not relevant on an SLK but same process for sunroofs, if you have one!)

many thanks again

John

Have added a comment in blue - bit belt & braces but has worked for me in past!

Actually, thinking about it, may well be worth trying the same process on your roof operation, just in case! I also found on my old W203 that I had to hold the open button for nearer 10 seconds to get the total-opening function to work.

Last edited:

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Auto headlights in MB world are not really auto headlights compared to other manufacturers

Yes they are, you're confusing them with "main beam assist" which is a different function.
You mention Volvo, they call this function "active main beam assist", not auto headlights.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Have added a comment in blue - bit belt & braces but has worked for me in past!

Actually, thinking about it, may well be worth trying the same process on your roof operation, just in case! I also found on my old W203 that I had to hold the open button for nearer 10 seconds to get the total-opening function to work.
Just went and did that to the Clk roof just in case (after last weeks new battery ) Thanks buddy .

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom