Lifting all four wheels at home

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Similar to EmilysDad.
I've made a pair of extended ramps in two parts, as pic below. The 'box' section cannot move out of place once the wheels begin to drive up the sloping section, because of the strip of old safety belt, as shown. Once the car is sitting on the box, I can remove the sloping section for easier access.

All four wheels off the ground? I also have the usual steel ramps which then go under the other pair of wheels.

Will try Wighty's 'to and fro' method next! Prefer him to post video of how it works first though!

That's an impressive diy setup buddy . As to my method , I've got a couple of simple friends I'll get to try it first (just in case it's more difficult than it sounds ....may need some fine tuning :rolleyes:)

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Remember the clip on's Alistair ;)
An innovative solution those Nippon Clip ons!

For those not in the know the Auckland harbour bridge was originally built as 4 lanes - 2 each way. During the 60/70s it was no longer fit for purpose and couldn't handle the traffic flow.
The solution was to extend the bridge by two lanes each side using clip on extensions giving 8 lanes in total. As they were built by a Japanese company they were dubbed Nippon Clip Ons.

World Report.jpg
You can see the original span and clipons here.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
To add, a second bridge was an alternative and also a tunnel, but the clip on's provided practicality in time and position.
My Uncle at the time was one of the original designers of the bridge in the late '50's. I might still have the original blue prints in New Zealand?

RhodieBill

Reaction score
Central South Coast. (Previously Out of Africa).
Your Mercedes
2001 W208 CLK320 182U ALMANDINE-BLACK METALLIC
Hi.

I would personally use Stands Under the Rubber Bungs inboard of the Jacking Holes.

When I had a problem with my Air Pump on the S500, nothing wrong with the Struts the Pump, although pumping it wasn't pumping ang air as the Cylinder in the Pump was buggered.

Anyway, as the Front Axle was slowly going down over time - about 2-4mm a day and not rising as the Pump wasn't actually pumping I decided to jack the car up, not completely off the ground, just enough to stopping it hit rock bottom, I was planning to jack up each corner and place a Stand under the Rubber Bungs.

But as I jacked up the Front the Rear went up accordingly so I only had to jack up the Front. It stayed like this for over a week until I fixed the Pump, which I did costing all of just over £70.00 Was fine after that.

Anyway, I just wanted to share the strange way the car behaved.... (See photo - car stayed level with just the Front raised). But yes - definitely Stands, not Ramps.

IhFmjpF.jpg

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom