Limescale water spots, best way to remove?

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Really feeling stupid. I live in a hard water area. So meticulously rinse car with Raceglaze filtered water after washing.
Recently had the TV aerial angle moved. Just realise Pigeons sit on it and as it overhangs my parking space … Ugh.

For about a week every day I had to rinse down one side the car with the hose - so over the week both sides got hosed with unfiltered water.
and sadlly the Collonite had just about worn off!
came to wash it today … Sh*t! Limescale water spots / marks down both sides even after Snowfoaming it.

what is the best product to soften this?
I was considering using Korrosol or iron x to remove any brake dust - metallic spots etc. before the summer clay and wax.

I noticed many of these iron removers say they are “controlled PH” wtf is that. To me if its 7 its neutral, if under its acidic and if over its alkaline?

Q. If 2 products say they are “controlled Ph, non alkaline” could I assume they are slightly acidic, and therefore would help soften limescale marks?
i.e. Would one product iron decontaminate and soften the limescale marks At the same time?

any ideas welcome.
i did see one utube video saying use 1 part white vinegar : 1 Part Distilled Water and leave on 10 mins! Seemed a little harsh to me.

Morethanpolish

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200 Kompressor
Race Glaze Waterspot Remover.
Before and afters

Attachments

• BEAA21CB-96A1-4E04-9659-D2951EF814FA.jpeg
    BEAA21CB-96A1-4E04-9659-D2951EF814FA.jpeg
    161.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 2529A891-B599-4652-9B73-0BF82AD6E4F6.jpeg
    2529A891-B599-4652-9B73-0BF82AD6E4F6.jpeg
    140.2 KB · Views: 26

sausage

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL
After a lifetime of black cars, I learned to wash out of direct sunlight and to leather(autoglym synthetic). I have lived in three places in Berkshire and also where I live now is a hardwater area. The above has always been enough without any extra measures needed.

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
If in doubt, a hand hot wet flannel/microfibre cloth, laid over spots for a few seconds, then a quick squirt & wipe with detailing spray. (I like Meguiar's "Ultimate Quik Detailer" for these sorts of v quick spruces).

Last edited:

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
After a lifetime of black cars, I learned to wash out of direct sunlight and to leather(autoglym synthetic). I have lived in three places in Berkshire and also where I live now is a hardwater area. The above has always been enough without any extra measures needed.
I rinse with filtered water. Job done.:) I don’t enjoy washing cars at the best of times, but I dislike drying even more.

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
This is a hit or a miss If they are bad they will only go over time it takes ages to remove them . On new car paint you can only hide it with a good polish .

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
And put bird spikes on the Ariel bracket

Morethanpolish

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200 Kompressor
This is a hit or a miss If they are bad they will only go over time it takes ages to remove them . On new car paint you can only hide it with a good polish .
The product I used and recommended does away with them almost instantly - spray, leave to dwell a minute and buff off lightly. Covering them doesn't really solve the problem.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Before I had my filter, I used diluted vinegar to remove spots. Worked fine and I reckoned it couldn’t be worse than pigeon poo. The paint on our cars is a lot tougher than we expect and is designed to be in highly polluted environments.

Morethanpolish

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200 Kompressor
Ive uploaded some before and after images of my use of this product to the listing, and also 2 YouTube videos which it links to as well.

All the details here - note its also on offer - 250ml at £3.99, was £6.99..

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
This peasant uses shower cleaning spray and sometimes I remember to put it back.

Jason63

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 AMG
I have some pretty heavy water spots in the channels under the bonnet. I did quite a bit of research on how to shift them. There are some decent youtube tests on different options. The conclusion was that the deposits are really hard so polishing will work but it'll take a lot of effort...but there is a better option.

In your case the water spots might not be as extreme as others but in extreme cases the best option was alloy wheel cleaner (the real stuff that contains acid). It is designed not to damage paint and it's acidic. That should shift the water spots safely. For me there is risk involved but if the water spotting is extreme it should be the best method.

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Waterspots are a real problem at the moment, because we have hard water full of limescale, and in the hot weather, when I wash the car, the water has been drying before I can chamois it off. :(

I have ordered some (expensive) waterspot remover off eBay. I tried to find the Race Glaze Waterspot Remover, as recommended above, but couldn't find any on eBay, and I'm not registering and paying on some random website. Sorry,

I will let you know if it strips the paint off, Good luck everyone.

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
I bought one of those large cylindrical water filters you attach your hose pipe to, water marks are now a thing of the past, never had one since I fitted the filter.

Morethanpolish

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200 Kompressor
Thanks Larkone.

For the benefit of @SL55 Mark
We don't sell much product on eBay, as they take approx. 13% commission, and we therefore have to premium price any products we do sell on there to cover that.

We have a new, secure website and its pointless charging people more than they need to pay, and as we've been trading on-line since 2003, I'm not going to put my business in the hands of a third party such as them or Amazon.

We have sponsored this Forum for at least 5 years, have advertised in the magazine for even longer - so I would hope we are deemed trustworthy.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom