Limp mode

Shaunm41

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 Mercedes CLK 270 Avantgarde
Hello..

I’ve just bought my first Mercedes after years of been a loyal BMW driver and I have to say I love it... there is however one or 2 issues I’m not familiar with..

The car is a 2003 CLK 270 and it lost power on 2 occasions last night.. it ran ok and cruised fine but had no power and wouldn’t go above 3000 RPM.. I believe this is limp mode? No warnings came up or anything and I just had to pull over and switch off for a few mins and all was fine and it was fine this morning.. what could be the problem?

Also, I have 2 warnings constantly..

coolant - visit work shop
Engine oil level - visit workshop

move checked oil on dash and level is ok and I’ve checked coolant and that seems ok too.. any ideas?

thanks

Shaun..

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
Have you tried to plug in a scan tool to read any codes?
How old is the battery?

OP
S

Shaunm41

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I’ve not plugged it in yet... where I work we have Mercedes trucks and they have all the computer stuff there so I’m gonna try plug it in there, apparently it works in any Mercedes, car, van, truck, whatever..

I’m not sure about the battery, would that effect it? I’ve just got in it now and it seems fine..

Could it be the MAF?

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
Don't think it would be the MAF. Get the codes read that soukd point you in the right direction. My cars done this intermittently over the years.

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
I’ve not plugged it in yet... where I work we have Mercedes trucks and they have all the computer stuff there so I’m gonna try plug it in there, apparently it works in any Mercedes, car, van, truck, whatever..

I’m not sure about the battery, would that effect it? I’ve just got in it now and it seems fine..

Could it be the MAF?
An old battery can throw up a lot of unconnected and spurious problems due to low voltage even for a split second.
This is obviously a guess and as you have access to STAR that's where you should start.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Welcome , as above, Mercs get spooked with low battery power

OP
S

Shaunm41

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for the replies..

I might just check the battery then and get a new one if it’s an older one..

It’s been fine today.. but still showing the errors for oil and water level.. it does seem to drive well tho and just averaged around 50mpg on way home from work so am happy with that..

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
A new battery on a Merc is like a magic cloak... mine became incredibly efficient - just turn the key, select forward or reverse and go. And that was over two years ago!

btw: if you want a genuine Mercedes battery phone MB at Grangemouth and mention the forum and they will discount it and deliver in 2-3 days (they say that but mine came in 1 day).

Mark A

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
58 ML-320CDI.
On the ML-270, MAF failure was pretty common with no codes. Fortunately a relatively cheap part from the dealer (or was for the W163 ML).

Remember that engine won’t rev above 3K when in park.

OP
S

Shaunm41

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A new battery on a Merc is like a magic cloak... mine became incredibly efficient - just turn the key, select forward or reverse and go. And that was over two years ago!

btw: if you want a genuine Mercedes battery phone MB at Grangemouth and mention the forum and they will discount it and deliver in 2-3 days (they say that but mine came in 1 day).

Thanks, I’ll check the battery and if I need a new one ill call him.. although I have just found a Bosch one online with 4 year guarantee with the February sale it’s around £140 so maybe that’s an option?

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
Thanks, I’ll check the battery and if I need a new one ill call him.. although I have just found a Bosch one online with 4 year guarantee with the February sale it’s around £140 so maybe that’s an option?

Nothing wrong with Bosch - I had a "Silver" one fitted on a 4WD when the old one on it died. It was still starting first time when I moved it on.

Also, quite a few members really like YUASA batteries and they're a lot cheaper. You can find them on FleaBay - or here:

- and I think they're all 3 x years warranty.​

Also, try taking the link from the forum to Europ Car Parts to get to our discounted price. I've bought rear lamps for SWMBOs Renault Scenic from them - they were much cheaper. Sometimes it appears that our discount doesn't work but that's because there's a global discount sale on which is normally as good as we normally get. You spends yer money and takes yer choice!

OP
S

Shaunm41

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
So I’ve had it plugged in today..

The check oil and water issues require replacement sensors and also a fault for EGR valve came up.. perhaps that’s why it went into limp mode?

he said not to worry too much about the EGR issue tho?

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom