Limp Mode?

bcarrjr

Reaction score
1998 C230 - What is the limp mode? Every once in awhile when I am driving in the mountains and have to drop gears to maintain speed, the RPM's get high and close to the redline. But, all of a sudden, the car loses power and will not accelerate (this is what I call a limp mode?). The only solution to this problem is to get off the highway and shut the engine down. When I restart it, the problem goes away. Any suggestions?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Could be the MAS starting to fail, pls have a search as it is rather common. Although you don't say how high the mountains are that you are traversing.
When MAS fails, ECU stops car reving over 3,000 revs and you lose kickdown.

OP
B

bcarrjr

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. As I mentioned, when I turn the engine off and restart, the problem goes away until I reach high RPM's again. Does this still sound like a MAS problem?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
It could be, Malcolm (TV) will be able to tell you if the fault codes from the MAS are stored or reset.
However when they go the can be intermittent to start with. If you take a look at Parrot's excellent 'How to cleam you MAF' http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=18298 you could try that to start with.

OP
B

bcarrjr

Reaction score
Limp Mode???

I checked the MAS and it was perfectly clean. Although this problem only occurred during high revs, it was consistant. However, something strange has recently happened and I don't know if it was related or not. I just had my Tansmission fluid and filter replaced. I recently took another trip and during high revs, the problem does not occur now. I tried to get it to repeat and it will not go into limp mode anymore. Does this make sense?

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom